Northeast High Top Conversions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been doing research on this for the last couple of months, but it seems like there's nowhere in the northeast that will install a high top. I've found people talk about cycle-van in NJ (but they don't do them anymore or are out of business). There's that one place in north Carolina that supposedly does "terrible jobs", and other than that everyone just says "go to California". 

It seems pretty unrealistic to drive 3000 miles to California to get a high top installed (I have a job, I don't have time for that). I find it hard to believe that there is not one shop in the entire united states that can do this, and do it well, besides fiberine. 

I would like to get a solid thread going on this subject, because I imagine I'm not the only person dealing with this issue. 

Here's a list of places I've found so far:

Fiberine, CA
Cyclevan, NJ (No longer does conversions)
Sportsmobile, IL (only works on sprinters)
Tci Mobility, PA (They don't advertise this on their site, not sure if they really do it)

blackmajik2049 said:
I've been doing research on this for the last couple of months, but it seems like there's nowhere in the northeast that will install a high top.

Tci Mobility, PA (They don't advertise this on their site, not sure if they really do it)

Blackmajik,

I got my hitop installed at TCI in PA. They did a great job. I mentioned them to another member here and she had one installed by them also and was also pleased with the work. Maybe she'll see your post and chime in. She ordered her top from Fiberine and had it shipped to TCI for install. I had the steel roll cage installed in mine which gives a great place to attach walls and ceiling. Mine is also completely flat on top so I was easily able to fit 300 watts solar and a Maxxair fan. Probably could have fit 400 watts. You can see the top on my youtube channel listed in the sig below.
Good luck!

vtwinkicker said:
I got my hitop installed at TCI in PA.

What was you total cost at TCI with install and price of hardtop?

Blackmajick,

I am in NJ an ended up going to Sportsmobile In Texas.  Overall I am happy with it; I also had them put a loft bed in as well.  If I had to do it all over again I would do exactly what Vtwinkicker did or do it myself.

Netter said:
What was you total cost at TCI with install and price of hardtop?

$3200. I got a 24" hitop with a steel rollcage. Standup height is about 6'1" I think. This is on an extended GMC van.

vtwinkicker said:
$3200. I got a 24" hitop with a steel rollcage. Standup height is about 6'1" I think. This is on an extended GMC van.

do you have a photo of the rollcage? Trying to figure out what it looks like / how much space it takes up.

As per their website, Sportsmobile (They are in Indiana, California and Texas) does fixed high tops for not only Sprinters, but also Chevy/GMCs and Fords.
I got my GMC penthouse top done in Indiana and they did a great job.

I sent an email to [email protected] , expressed an interest in buying a hi-top and asked "Are you aware of a shop near Clarksville, Tn that can install one." got this reply back is less than 3 hours.

"Thank you for your interests in our products, unfortunately we don't have anyone in TN. But any local body shop near you can do a installation. We always recommend for you to go to a local well known body shop and ask them if they are able to install the top and get it delivered there as well."

I called two shops near home but neither of them would install a hi-top.  I asked why at one of them and was told they make more profit off collision work.  

I checked google maps there are over 100 body shops within 50 mile of home.  I bet one of them would do the install if they had a slow day.  May just take a lot of phone calls.

Try finding one that specializes in converting vehicles for handicapped use. They'd be more knowledgeable about a high top installation than most body shops would be.

Sherrod Vans in Waycross Georgia will put a high top on for you. They only put on the aerodynamic 17 inch tops for short wheel base Chevys or GMCs. No Fords or Nissans.  I was quoted a price of $3,000 plus sales tax which included labor. Styles other than the 17" aerodynamic would be about $1000 more because they have to have them shipped, including long wheel base Chevys or GMCs.They get the 17" aeros somewhere in south Florida, but I've been unable to get that info. If anyone can find that info, I would really like to know.

On edit: They get them from North Florida, not South.

Sherrod Vans in Waycross Georgia will put a high top on for you. They only put on the aerodynamic 17 inch tops for short wheel base Chevys or GMCs. No Fords or Nissans.  I was quoted a price of $3,000 plus sales tax which included labor. Styles other than the 17" aerodynamic would be about $1000 more because they have to have them shipped, including long wheel base Chevys or GMCs.They get the 17" aeros somewhere in south Florida,  but I've been unable to get that info. If anyone can find that info, I would really like to know.

I just got quoted over 6000 by TCI for a 24" high top on a standard wheelbase ford econoline. Just wondering how you all got quotes that were half of mine?

Who did you speak to at TCI?

just got this response from TCI on their price increase:

"Yes, those prices were in the past when the E Series was still being produced, and even for a time period afterwards. As of the beginning of this year, we have substantially raised the prices on E Series roof top conversions,
because we can’t just slide one in alongside our regular production vehicles now that they are a completely different build from the Transits we are now manufacturing.

Basically, bringing an E Series van in for a top conversion throws a monkey wrench into the production flow of the shop, because it’s a completely different animal from what our production line is now geared up for and slows everything down."

Fblackmajik2049 said:
I just got quoted over 6000 by TCI for a 24" high top on a standard wheelbase ford econoline. Just wondering how you all got quotes that were half of mine?

Is this for one of the tops that TCI orders from Canada?

blackmajik2049 said:

There's a guy in Colorado who sells 24" high tops at a much more reasonable price. You may want to give him a call. He'll also install the top for you at his Loveland, CO location (closer than CA) or ship it to your location (or TCI). And, I read something from Mark on another forum that he's thinking of delivering tops to customers and installing the top at the customers location. I do not know where he stands with this idea.

Mark Duff
1734 W. Eisenhower Blvd
Loveland, Colorado 80537
970-281-5167
[email protected]

blackmajik2049 said:
do you have a photo of the rollcage? Trying to figure out what it looks like / how much space it takes up.

I don't think I took any pics of it, at least I couldn't find any. If you have the bandwidth to watch youtube I know I showed it in the build videos. I do know it is 4 foot wide side to side.