Replacing a high top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaBsTs

Reaction score
I’m having my van painted and want to replace the high top with a larger one. Fiberine will not sell a top they don’t install, unless it’s to the body shop, and the body shop’s minimum parts mark-up is 20%. Does anyone have recommendations on a company or individual that will sell a top to a customer directly?

Yeah, not a lot of options really plus they are van specific so you'd have to find a conversion van the same model and even then the top may not be any bigger.
How far are you from Fiberine?
I've seen a few people actually drove to them for an install as it was cheaper than shipping etc.
Could have it installed then go for paint.

Uncle Todo said:
I've seen a few people actually drove to them for an install as it was cheaper than shipping etc.

Some people would pay anything to avoid going to California.

MrNoodly said:
Some people would pay anything to avoid going to California.

Currently I'm sure, however the references I was making occurred in years past when it was considered a thing to do!

Uncle Todo said:
Currently I'm sure, however the references I was making occurred in years past when it was considered a thing to do!

I meant it as a little jab to certain people on the board, like all those who said they wouldn't go to the RTR if it was held in California. Some reasons for not going to California are valid, some are based on misinformation, some on biases. I'm the type who, if the thing I wanted/needed was available from only one source, in a place I didn't like, and I had to go there to get it, I'd go. Unless there was a warrant for me.  :D

Uncle Todo said:
Yeah, not a lot of options really plus they are van specific so you'd have to find a conversion van the same model and even then the top may not be any bigger.
How far are you from Fiberine?
Could have it installed then go for paint.
Fiberine is 2,200 miles from the body shop. Plus the body shop is cutting me a huge discount on swapping the tops since they’re painting the van. I’d probably be ok with paying more somewhere else after the conversation I had with Fiberine last week.

Which kind of top do you have now and what van model is it on?

You could get some bux for it.

Wood high tops are usually way to heavy plus they come loose while traveling.

Junk yards will almost give away fiberglass high tops not a lot of demand and there is no scrap value plus they have to pay to dispose of them. I see no reason to build a high top. Plus you will be recycling something that would normally go to the landfill and not cutting down trees.

Highdesertranger