Nomad for a week - Video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UmpquaTim

Reaction score
I just put this video together from footage I took on my vans maiden voyage.  It's the first time it's been out since I added solar, fridge, maxair fan, cell booster, etc.  I started in Gold Beach Oregon, then tooled along the Columbia River, and down to Klamath Falls.

For what it's worth, I purchased this van for $800.

Enjoy :)

-T

Outstanding video. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the van, and it looks like you have put it into fine shape.

~Wes said:
Outstanding video.  Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on the van, and it looks like you have put it into fine shape.

Thanks Wes!

As you'd expect, buying a van for $800 is likely to have issues, and boy... has it ever!  One of the reasons I purchased it was because it had low miles on a newly rebuilt engine and transmission.  But it had 270k miles, so it was getting really tired.  Fortunately, it had good "bones."  

For what it's worth for anyone who's interesting in buying a "cheap" van... make it your daily or default local driver for as long as you can before setting out on your venture.  I used this van for EVERYTHING over the period of a year. That gave me time to address all those "thorns in the paw" of my van.  During that time I fixed holes in the room, replaced all the brakes, one caliper, one brake drum, a water pump, all news tires, heater core hoses, front shocks, new bumpers and replaced the windshield. THREE times this van broke down within blocks of my mechanic.  That's much more preferable than being stranded on the road. Now, I'm just a clockspring replacement away from, what I hope, it's a new lease this buggers life.  

Cheers!

-T

Sounds like you have put a lot of work into the van Tim. Very smart on your part to drive it locally for a good while, so that you could encounter/diagnose/fix the problems there instead of being out on the road. I really like the color of your van. It certainly doesn't look like an $800 vehicle. I am surprised you were able to get it for that price with a recent engine/trans replacement. Very nicely done on your part. I hope the van will provide you many years of enjoyment and dependable service. Have fun.

That was a great video thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video, looked like a successful maiden voyage. Great looking van for $800 bucks, hope it takes you on many adventures.

I think that's some very good advice you gave about buying a new to you used vehicle, make it your daily driver locally for a bit and work out all the kinks. Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I'll replace a bunch of the common wear parts, mostly the ones I can do on my own.....brakes, rotors, calipers, pads, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, tires, battery, alternator, starter, plugs/wires, thermostat, belts, hoses, wipers, filters and fluid changes. Oh and unless they are almost new, I usually put a new set of tires on. I don't do it all at once but spread it out over the first six months to help spread out the expense of the parts.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Nice video,  looked like a successful maiden voyage.  Great looking van for $800 bucks, hope it takes you on many adventures.

I think that's some very good advice you gave about buying a new to you used vehicle, make it your daily driver locally for a bit and work out all the kinks.  Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I'll replace a bunch of the common wear parts, mostly the ones I can do on my own.....brakes, rotors, calipers, pads, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, tires, battery, alternator, starter, plugs/wires, thermostat, belts, hoses, wipers, filters and fluid changes.  Oh and unless they are almost new, I usually put a new set of tires on.  I don't do it all at once but spread it out over the first six months to help spread out the expense of the parts.
And to your point, there are things you should "expect" to replace on older vehicles.  This gets missed too often.  There are no guarantees that I won't break down on my next adventure, but it is less likely than simply buying a van for $800 and deciding to "full-time."  I've put a good chunk of change into this van just to "base-line" the project.  Almost all of that happened before I started getting serious about the conversion aspect. 
But alas... sometimes I'm a giant silly goofball who makes predictably bad decisions.  For example... No water was coming out of my windshield sprayer so I purchased a new pump on a whim.  Yeah, as you probably guessed, it was working fine... just no water in the reservoir.   I blame Amazon for making ordering too easy :)
-T

UmpquaTim said:
And to your point, there are things you should "expect" to replace on older vehicles.  This gets missed too often.  There are no guarantees that I won't break down on my next adventure, but it is less likely than simply buying a van for $800 and deciding to "full-time."  I've put a good chunk of change into this van just to "base-line" the project.  Almost all of that happened before I started getting serious about the conversion aspect. 
But alas... sometimes I'm a giant silly goofball who makes predictably bad decisions.  For example... No water was coming out of my windshield sprayer so I purchased a new pump on a whim.  Yeah, as you probably guessed, it was working fine... just no water in the reservoir.   I blame Amazon for making ordering too easy :)
-T

Used to live in Coos Bay and traveled the Umpqua valley pass from Reedsport to I-5 often and deemed it the most beautiful road I have ever seen.  It really is lovely in Oregon.  So many great places to camp.  It was an enjoyable 2 years I spent there.

You got a great deal on the van.

You have a good editing eye. I would have liked seeing who you were and how those vistas moved or affected you. I'm guessing your shy? You could be the next rv vlogger. Your filming and composition of shots is captivating - I subscribed.

Nicely done. Great scenery footage. Your co-stars did well. 

Zardor said:
You have a good editing eye. I would have liked seeing who you were and how those vistas moved or affected you. I'm guessing your shy? You could be the next rv vlogger. Your filming and composition of shots is captivating - I subscribed.

I actually make videos for a living... I'm on camera about three days a week, green screen, and reading from a prompter.  The lack of my being in the video had more do with my getting used to new gear.  I'll be on screen plenty soon :)

Best,

Tim

blmkid said:
Nicely done. Great scenery footage. Your co-stars did well. 

Thanks! Chaz, the camera hog, loves being in the spotlight :)  Lucky thinks it's a punishment.

I agree the van exterior looks good. Would like to see more internal pictures, plz. Your co-stars are very handsome!