noise when climbing hills, accelerating it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only if you can't fit under it. if you jack it up use jack stands, please. highdesertranger

how far should i be able to move the shaft? it only twists a small bit.

VanLifeCrisis said:
how far should i be able to move the shaft?  it only twists a small bit.

First of all don't be afraid to rack the driveshaft hard with your hands. The engine puts more torque on it than you will when operating and you want to see if there's excessive play. But it's normal for it to move a small bit. Look at the caps. If there is any sign of separation/wiggling/shiny rubbed metal there then the ujoint is definitely bad. If a ujoint is bad enough to make these noises you're hearing then you should be able to see evidence of it around the caps.

ujoint.JPG

Attachments

• ujoint.JPG
    ujoint.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 19
The U joint is a pivot point only.  There should be no movement between the two pieces it connects to.  If you can move one piece while holding the other piece, it is bad.

B and C said:
The U joint is a pivot point only.  There should be no movement between the two pieces it connects to.  If you can move one piece while holding the other piece, it is bad.

Yes but you may be able to slightly move the whole driveshaft by hand, and that can be the easiest way to look for play in the ujoint. Since it's hard to hold one side of the ujoint and sufficiently torque the other side to see play without taking it off.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Fan into the radiator from an engine or transmission mount failure?

Mine was doing the same thing. I pulled into a big O tire place and they said it was my fan belt  then on closer  look they said my motor middle motor mount was shot. and where they pointed was right where the noise was coming from so I told them to replace all 3 My MH is a 1975 barth. I got 100 miles away and it did it again so I called him back he wanted me to drive all the way back there. I  limped into Cortez and went to the big O tire there the wrong fan belt was on  mine has 3 fan belts. again over 100 miles from there It did it again. I was in Taos  N.M. I was sick with a cold my MH is sick and we went to a shop that was AAA appoved he said he could look at it tomarrow be there at *am and he charges 110,00 per hour. I was there the next morning he started to check it out and a man came in needing his work truckthe guy said no I'm on her time now I said I have more time than money it ok to get him his truck, after he came back to me he said I found the problem Its your fan belts. Did I mention that I am 100% Irish??? I said how many times do I have to get them changed?? he said it is ready to go call me if tyou have any trouble I said it won t do  it fir a 100 miles !!! he said call me at this # I will come to you where ever your at free of charge. I called him at 200 miles and it was running fine. OH yes and after he seen my bills  he charged me nothing,

wow great post ryegal. good for him, and good for you for calling him to tell him it was fine. highdesertranger

No updates im afraid. Winter has set in and it looks like ill be spending another one here. I tried to get a couple people to look at it but it always fell through and i dont know wtf I'm doing.
Just trying to find some new income sources from here now, my plan was to just find some on the road at my liesure but im not naive enough to think i have that luxury now no matter what i end up doing about vandwelling and a vehicle.

On the upside U joints are an easy fix as are motor mounts. Take the whole drive shaft out and do the U's and balance the shaft, I am sorry for your troubles, just had a tranny go south with only 225K miles on it cost me 2 mortgage payments. stuck for a week in 95 degree weather. S#it happens. Good luck Martin

Have you heard belt squealing ?   I'm wondering if you have a bearing in an alternator seizing up.  That could
cause our check engine light to come on possibly.   If it were that, it may account for the lack of power at times.
(but I'd think you'd hear some belt squeal)

mechanic friend gave engine a listen. he told me it could be a couple things, but to tune it up first since i had the stuff. It might be a miss, the choke, a vacuum issue, or fuel injector. After i replace plugs etc well see.

the other issue underneath he didn't have time to check out (he wasnt here for me...i kinda stole him).

Im thinking of going with a pickup and trailer setup anyway. more and more im thinking a modular setup is better.

VanLifeCrisis said:
. . . Im thinking of going with a pickup and trailer setup anyway.  more and more im thinking a modular setup is better.

After going back and forth between the various options, that's basically the same conclusion I came to.

Regards
John

If you are close by,I'll be glad to try to help.If you can make it here,you'll have a parking place with electric and water.

Thanks a lot bob! Im at the family homestead now so ill be alright. I think ill give it a tune up and probably sell it for a mechanic special. I really like a truck and eventually a trailer setup, so im looking for that right now.