No Skilz Newbie found something....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, that build out is AMAZING! I am thrilled to see you were able to incorporate a "head". The amount of work you have done is astounding. While the build is far beyond my capabilities, it offfers me an excellent blueprint to work off of with folks who do have the skills. I constantly amazed at the ingenuity and "outside the box" thinking that folks here have applied to their vehicles.

Thank you so much for sharing that. I'm beyond inspired.

MM

hi boris,<br><br>i am in north jersey too.<br><br>whatever vehicle you chose, be sure to take into account our four seasons. the temperature swings, humidity and weather. its all liveable of course but you need to prep the vehicle to the level of comfort or convenience you expect. a way to heat and cool are just the beginning of that endeavor.<br><br>a way to cut down or stop direct temperature transfer through the walls, floor and roof. a way to insulate the living space. and perhaps even a vapor barrier of some type. none of it is hard actually but easily overlooked. the walls of a step van should be easy to work on considering they tend to be large and flat. vans, being smaller, present more of a challenge.<br><br>personally, i like the step van form factor due to its shape and size but deemd it too awkward for my other preferences.<br><br>i took the time to set up my van with these issues in mind and i am able to maintain a comfortable temperature inside the van year round. i rarely need to turn on the heat in winter but i do need to run the a/c in summer. the last two weeks, not so much. in the rainiest, wettest, foggiest days of the year, i experience NO condensation or exessive moisture (unpleasant if youve ever experienced it). the fantastic fan ventilates, exchanges air and helps control all of this and coupled with the insulation scheme i used, makes for a nice comfy place.<br><br>during Sandy, i was in a devastated area. my host never lost power or internet. despite most residential properties in the area losing it. the maxxair2 rain cover i installed on the fan performed better than expected. i was able to leave the fan running. i was high and dry. a very odd feeling since i was surrounded by people whos houses floated away and or had no power (family included) for 10 days or so.<br><br>but anyway, in a nutshell, consider the environmental qualities we face here and install accordingly.<br><br>good luck to ya!

The ad states that it has a "3.7 litre 4 cylinder" engine.&nbsp; I would be concerned that it is very underpowered.

<p>Hi Boris,<br><br>Good luck with your conversion plans.&nbsp; I think you will do well.&nbsp; I've been living in my van for two years and love it.&nbsp; With Dad in the nursing home, I can use his driveway a lot but really prefer doing a little Walmart or rest area camping, too.&nbsp; It sounds like you have enough skills.&nbsp; There are so many things that are premade out there that&nbsp;there's no need to build a lot of fancy stuff.<br><br>One piece of advice... Don't expect to learn all the answers at once and it will be a lot easier.&nbsp; I rushed things and have some regrets (like the lonely Koolatron that doesn't cool and sits in a shed), etc.&nbsp; If you take things slow, you might save money in your purchases.<br><br>It will be fun though!</p><p>V.T.</p>

Latest posts