No Fan of Power (windows & door locks)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a lady friend that was at the bank drive through teller, didn't get close enough to the machine, so had to get out, and must have bumped the door lock, then shut the door to have room to get to the teller. Guess who called to have me bring a spare key? 
When I got there, the car was running and locked with her standing outside. I don't think she likes power locks anymore either.

There are plenty of CONS but I LOVE MY electric windows. I'll keep them thank you and accept possible consequences/

According to my junkyard guy Ford never put manual windows in a Windstar so there are no manual parts to replace the motors.  Chrysler minivans may have the same problem.

The FEM (Front Electronic Module) scans the switches and turns the motors on and off for the front windows.  The relays alone to keep that turned on are about 1/4 amp, the computer even more.  Always on is not going to work.  I use a battery disconnect switch.

The door locks aren't too bad.  There is a radio receiver for the remote control that shares a fuse with the radio preset memory.  One wire clip stops that.  The FEM turns on the door lock motors.  Clip two wires for each door.  

The REM (Rear Electronic Module) does the same for the back windows and back door locks.

highdesertranger said:
sure you could deactivate but then how are you going to roll your windows up and down.  you need to convert them I have no idea how easy on a  Dodge on a Chevy it is easy peesy.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that since my 88 Astro has power windows. Could you tell me how to do this? Or who I should see about it?

VanGrrl57 :)

highdesertranger said:
like I said I have never done a Dodge.  on a Chevy you just need the manual regulator and handle.  pick-a-part 10 bucks a side.  just remove the electric motor and regulator and install the manual.  drill a hole in the door panel and install the crank.  easy.  going the other way is easy too.  highdesertranger

Well,

You answered my previous question. SIGH! Sorry! I'm tired and have had a crazy week.

VanGrrl57 :s