Nissan Leaf Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
I've been looking at Nissan Leaf lithium-ion batteries.

You can't wire them into a 12v bank, but you can do them in 48v.

Which you can get a 48v inverter, solar panels, controller, etc...

The cost is a fraction of the price compared to buying $1K 100 aH 12v LI batteries.

Anyone doing this?

"The cost is a fraction of the price"

I am assuming you mean for used ones. a couple of years ago I saw the price for new ones. they were very expensive many, many thousands of dollars.

highdesertranger

That is something to be considered when you get a really great deal on batteries, the eventual replacement. I paid a fraction of the retail cost for my bank and will have to pay full price when I replace them next year. I can reconfigure the bay for cheaper batteries if I need too. Do that with a 48 volt system and you might also need to replace the inverter if you need to drop back down to 12 volt.

You will need a step down device with a 48 volt bank for your 12 volt loads

My bad. Yes, I was referring to the used ones.

I've been running an ad on CL that I will pick up dead / unwanted 6v golf cart batteries. I'm just trying to get free cores. Saves me $27 each.

So I went and picked up 6 from a guy and he told me about the and that he and his golfing buddies are planning on buying them to set up for their golf carts. So I went and looked online and there's a lot of people buying to use for solar both home and RV's.

Just trying to figure out if it is more cost-effective over flooded lead acid 6v's. With the number one benefit that I'm after being the huge weight reduction.

Leaf battery will be Much lighter than lead battery-
will be Better in every respect -

I have 2 Tesla model S battery packs
10kwh total -- 110 pounds total weight

I have a43KWH Tesla battery pack...

...It powers my Rav4 EV.

If/when I need new batteries, hopefully before the 8yr warranty expires, I can keep the old one for my RV.
It's 386 Volts. Made up of 8 packs, so they must be the same 48V Packs.

What a lot of people forget to mention is with those batteries of lithium ion is you can't charge them below freezing. So that is something else to watch out for unless you put a heating blanket on them or keep them in above freezing temperatures.

Groovy2 said:
Leaf battery will be Much lighter than lead battery-
will be Better in every respect -

I have 2 Tesla model S battery packs
10kwh total -- 110 pounds total weight

I started looking at those as well.

What BMS do you use?

Weldman said:
What a lot of people forget to mention is with those batteries of lithium ion is you can't charge them below freezing. So that is something else to watch out for unless you put a heating blanket on them or keep them in above freezing temperatures.

I don't know jack about them, but Tesla's have a battery heater.

RogerD said:
I don't know jack about them, but Tesla's have a battery heater.

Yes they do and I don't know much about them only that lithium ion can't be charged below freezing, though problem is what I see from the heater is it requires a coolant of the sorts to fill the case up with and that leads to more fun. Rather put a heating blanket on them or keep them warm inside than running extra few gallons of coolant to keep these warmed up.
Tesla heater

is there a diy thread on how to set up a leaf or tesla battery bank? seems to be a cheaper , better upgrade from lead acid batteries.

Simple to heat the Tesla battery. I bought a simple tank heater on amazon for under 50 bucks.

I have the 5.3 kw Tesla battery and am installing the BMS from Stealth EV. It can be purchased on eBay.

https://ebay.us/b6RmIX

There are two different models. Old style has breaded copper wire for BMS or the newer with a ribbon cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrcap said:
Simple to heat the Tesla battery. I bought a simple tank heater on amazon for under 50 bucks.

I have the 5.3 kw Tesla battery and am installing the BMS from Stealth EV. It can be purchased on eBay.

https://ebay.us/b6RmIX

There are two different models. Old style has breaded copper wire for BMS or the newer with a ribbon cable.

Note that the Tesla at 24v is easier to find inverters and other components rather than a 48v system like the Leaf. So far I have seen about a dozen Tesla’s in RVs but haven’t seen anyone using the Leaf battery yet. The Tesla’s battery breaks apart in 55lb 5.3kw modules. So it is relatively easy to do a setup with a single module.

Tesla’s usually run $1200-$1400 each and with a 3000w inverter and the other components I’m into it for about $2000 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first I got a 100 ah CALB Lifepo4 used daily for 2 + years -
works Great cost $650

Now I have 2 Tesla Model S packs -

thing about li ion is they are Quick charging and will take more
current as most people can push into them -

Norway has purchased more Teslas per capita than any other country
50% of people in Norway own electric cars of all brands -
so cold not really a problem -

yes cold is a problem, that's why they have battery heaters for them. if cold wasn't a problem they wouldn't have heaters. highdesertranger

I've been doing some research on Tesla VS Nissan Leaf battery modules.

From everything that I have read, Tesla batteries hold their capacity much better than Nissan Leaf.

A Nissan Leaf battery with 100K miles on it could have less than 60% capacity. Where a Tesla is likely to be around 90%.

Tesla simulated 500K miles on a battery and it was at 80%.

Used Nissan Leaf batteries are cheaper than Tesla

Nissan Leaf (48v config) you can get 7 kW X .60 = 4.2 KWH for around $900 - $1000 typically with free shipping

Tesla (24v) is like $1300 + shipping for 5.3 KWH X .90 = 4.77 KWH

So Tesla's are roughly 35% more expensive per KWH

For the above, Tesla is a single module that is 55 LBS and Nissan Leaf is 14 modules at 8.3 LBS each, for about 116 LBS.

One thing I keep hearing is that if you max charge a Tesla battery to around 24.2v and don't let it drop below 19v that a used battery should last 10 or more years. 25.2 if fully charged and 18 is fully discharged. So just use the middle 70%.

In the end, Tesla seems like the better / safer choice.

There's a guy on you tube that goes by Jehugarcia or something like that. He builds these battery packs. Great videos, doesn't hide his mistakes, explains everything and includes videos of his fixes. You might explore his channel and see if there's an option for you there. Love that guy. He dumbs things down pretty good.

Groovy2 said:
thing about li ion is they are Quick charging and will take more
current as most people can push into them -

Question, what charge rate are you recommending for li-ion batteries and won't that increased charge current reduce the battery cycle life or are you only talking about Tesla packs?