Newbies in Spokane Washington!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanandElaine

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
        Our names are Dan and Elaine.  We are 60 and 62 y/o (respectively) and currently live in Spokane Valley, Washington with our "baby," Salsa, a double yellowhead Amazon parrot.  We rent a house and our lease will be up September 1, so we plan to "go full time" then....mainly to pay down bills, meet new friends, and see many of the places we've traveled to in the past, when our 2 boys were young and the 4 of us traveled together.  We haven't purchased our RV yet, but because of physical difficulties (oldness issues), we plan to purchase a Class C.  We will also have a 2003 Honda Pilot we will drive along with us. (Don't want the expense of a trailer for it.) We have watched about all of Bob Wells's Youtubes and drank in the wealth of information he freely offers to people like us---newbies.  He's priceless and we hope to meet him someday so we can thank him properly for all he does.  
        It's so nice to be part of this forum where we hope to gain a wealth of knowledge and make a few new friends before we begin this new era/journey of our lives.  When we light out of here, possibly the last week of August, we plan to head to the Quartzite region for the winter.  Hopefully we will make some new friends and go north or wherever with the "seasonal peeps" in the spring.  
        We currently own a Westfalia pop-top van that SADLY we have to sell in order to purchase the Class A.  The selling of the Westie causes great pain because we've made Lots and LOTS of memories in it as we traveled extensively with our 2 sons when they were young.  But que sera, sera....you know?  Anyhow, since we haven't purchased our Class C yet, we welcome ANY and ALL advice, tips, tricks, etc. about what to watch for and get (or NOT get, as the case may be) when making the purchase.  I think we will have about $20,000.00 to invest, but plan to use some of that for solar.  We're in the process of trying to figure out how MUCH solar power we will need.
       I am a seamstress and will have my machine with me and will be offering sewing services.  So if you have sheets to alter, curtains to make, a button to sew on, or anything in between, we'll eventually be around.

Welcome DanandElaine to the CRVL forums! You'll find a wealth of information here on choosing the right vehicle for your needs. Just keep reading and asking questions.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the Westie, they are coveted vehicles to be sure...

Hey, Dan and Elaine ... :)

I'll be just across the dotted line (in Coeur d'Alene) from you in March-April ... give or take ... sum reel purdy country up there!
Welcome to the forum ... :D

Welcome, Dan and Elaine! I am just north of you in Vancouver, BC. Fast approaching 60 myself (too quickly, truth be told) and still in the planning stages of my mobile life. Hopefully we'll see each other on the road one day!

Deal Breaker said:
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the Westie, they are coveted vehicles to be sure...

Thanks so much....yup...they are valuable.  We bought our Westie for $9,000 and now it's worth over $20,000.  If not for the sale of it, though, we wouldn't be able to buy the Class C.  VERY bittersweet!!

Go to rv shows to look at layouts and styles to help decide what you'd like. Start responding to craigslist ads for the same reason and to learn more about buying a used rv. Learn how to look for leaks and test appliances. You have some time to do research so use it well.

Hi Dan & Elaine! We are also from Spokane, Washington. Our names are Tim & Shirley (55 & 61 yo). We also plan on taking off on our own adventure in September. We plan to buy a small used travel trailer to tow behind our F150. We are homeowners, so we'll probably sell the house take Social Security when I turn 62 in March. Then we'll be able to get out of debt, I feel we have a lot in common. I can't wait to leave. A few more months of working and we'll be free! Hope to see you in Quartzite!!!

PeacefulHugger said:
Hi Dan & Elaine! We are also from Spokane, Washington.  Our names are Tim & Shirley (55 & 61 yo).  We also plan on taking off on our own adventure in September.  We plan to buy a small used travel trailer to tow behind our F150.  We are homeowners, so we'll probably sell the house take Social Security when I turn 62 in March. Then we'll be able to get out of debt, I feel we have a lot in common.  I can't wait to leave.  A few more months of working and we'll be free!  Hope to see you in Quartzite!!!
Wow!  Hi Tim and Shirley!  Yes!  I do believe we have lots in common!  As a matter of fact, it might be nice to get to know each other before we head out of here in September.  We are actually located in Spokane Valley.  Not sure where you are, but if you would like we can pick a spot and have lunch or dinner.  We haven't purchased our Class C yet, but that's the one we're going with.  We have a Honda Pilot that we plan to drive behind the RV, and that would pull a TT, but Daniel doesn't like the idea of towing anything.  And when he decides on something...*smile*.  Anyhow, we'd LOVE to meet you guys and make some friends before we head south for the winter.  Doesn't necessarily mean be have to stay together or camp together....nothing written in stone.  Just make some friends so we don't feel so alone!!  We hope you don't feel as if this is too forward or strange, but Daniel and I have come to learn that life is short---especially at our age!  So we do alot on the fly.  Let us know!

Hi Dan and Elaine -
My husband and I used to live in the Valley as well. I'm trying to talk my husband into going mobile - he isn't there yet but is expressing interest in going and checking out used RV's I'm finding on Craigslist. A good first step.

Look forward to hearing more about your adventure.

OregonDeb said:
Hi Dan and Elaine -
Look forward to hearing more about your adventure.

Hi OregonDeb!  I assume you're in Oregon?  LOL!  Yup...we like it here in Spokane Valley.  But as we're getting older, the snow is getting to be a tiring thing.  Several years ago, I never would have thought my husband would decide to take to the nomadic life.  But our son and his GF decided on it.  They're in Beaverton right now, staying with friends, trying to get his computer career off the ground, and then they'll be taking off for a life on the road.  We both think they should have gotten a larger vehicle--they have a Subaru--but it's their choice.  Thanks to Bob Wells, we know that living in a van/car is doable, but we still don't think it's all that comfortable.  Anyhow, after considering all that our son has said and taking into account other factors (including bills!) my husband has decided that it would be more economical for us to take to the open road for at LEAST a couple years.  If we like it, maybe more.  From everything I've heard, people start out thinking like us and wind up loving the road so much they stick with it to "the end."  So off we go in September.  Our lease for this house is up, and we plan to buy a Class C asap.  We have a parrot that we've been concerned about--the heat and the cold--but we're coming the believe that we might be over-thinking that issue.  The saddest part has been coming to the realization that we have to sell out 1987 VW Westfalia Pop top.  We have soo many memories surrounding that van---so much traveling with our two sons.  And BOTH the boys have grown up asking for the van when we're "done with it."  They both want it!  But now it must go for us to afford the Class C.  They're not going to be happy campers!  (Pardon the pun!)  When we leave here, we will probably be going to the desert southwest for the winter and then making our way north as spring and summer arrives.  So thanks so much for popping into our lives!  I hope we can stay in touch and perhaps meet up somewhere.  I think we're heading for the Quartzite vicinity first......anyhow, thanks so much!

Hi D&E. I'm sure Salsa will be fine in a class C motorhome. Just keep a $100 kitty available for propane purchase.
I have a ruby macaw named Rock who has lived in a travel trailer for a few years, as well as in this home that only has a wood stove for heat. He does just fine. They are hardier than I had expected, these parrots. lol, and Rock pulled out most of his feathers in 2009 when my/his girlfriend Bonnie died. He has kept his feathers gone ever since then. And it's quite cold here in winter, especially this last week or so.
So don't worry, he will enjoy the travels. Rock does.