Newbie w/no tow vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenc

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I recently purchased a travel trailer and subleased my apartment (starting in April) but I don't have a tow vehicle. I planned to rent a tow vehicle from time to time but mostly keep the trailer stationary. 

Now, I want to go to Colorado to be a rover camp-host from May-Oct, but I haven't figured out the cheapest and most efficient way to move my trailer and the car (Chrysler 200) from IL to CO. 

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

how big is the trailer?
weight?
length?
how many axels?

best to start with a 3/4 ton truck or van. go up from there.
buy a truck rated to tow more weight than the trailer weighs in at FULLY loaded.

1/2 tons are just pu bodys on a car chassy.

but biggest choice is gas or diesel, got fans for both ways.

I'm designing an enclosed car hauler that doubles as living space, so I can tow both at once.

Occasionally I need to pull a total 14K trailer load through mountains, so 3500+ at least.

Don't want diesel, so looking at GM's 8.1L Vortec drivetrain, usually coupled with 4.1 ratio axles and Allison trannie (auto only 8-( ).

Not easy to find is an understatement, cheapest in a mini-schoolbus, lots of expensive shuttle buses, but ideally I want 4x4 (dreaming?)

Current category I'm mining is utility and forestry trucks, the cherry-picker style seems very nicely low-geared, and obviously great rear GAWR.

Some even come with a very useful PTO and/or a powerful low-hours Cummins/Onan generator thrown in.

Smaller dump trucks are another possibility.

Suggestions and links (auction sites?) would be most welcome.

Are you planning on shipping the car and the TT? I see people rent a U-Haul truck to move their trailers, but then you still have the car to move, or drive the car and ship the TT?

I'd certainly look into trading the car for something more suitable, rather than having to hire someone to tow it every time you need to move, especially if you're going to move around a lot.

Start with trailer size/weight, and go from there to find a suitable tow vehicle. A little overkill is good, and gives you a little headroom if you upgrade your trailer later.

Agreed, that Chrysler isn't helping you now. Trade it on a truck to be free to do as you please and go where you please, within reason. Stay below the tow rating of your truck by a nice margin, say 50% to 75% maximum. So if your trailer weighs 7000 pounds the truck could be rated for 14000, especially in the mountains. Interstates have a 7% grade max but the other types of roads will certainly test your rig.

Most private tow companies charge $2.00 a mile last I looked. I assume you would drive your car. Another alternative is to rent a truck load the car in the truck and pull the trailer. A third option is buy a camper when you get there. Storage can be as little as $20 a month or $1.75 a foot. Some campgrounds will let you leave your trailer in place for free if they know they have a valued employee returning next season. Lots of people own more than one camper if you just move seasonally.

Arizona! Pheonix, Casa Grande and Tucson (maybe Yuma) filled with snowbirds. They routinely sell their 10 year old perfectly maintained tow vehicles for bargain prices. Check out the Craigslist here. You need a pickup truck, and yes a 3/4 ton, don't bother with half tons. ! tons too, but some states charge a lot to register a 1 ton.