Newbie saying Hello for first time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van on 66 said:
That sounds great FlowerGirl.  I don't know much about the Tiger vehicles, but they look cool from what I have seen they fascinate me. 

I got my van back this past weekend and am thrilled at the work that got done. 

I am in Oklahoma right now visiting family.  I am hoping to head back west in October after the heat starts residing.  I have traveled a lot around Colorado over the years and mid September to early October is a great time.  The fall there with the golden Aspen leaves is breathtaking! 

Keep in touch - Dennis

I'm always glad to hear when repairs, upgrades and reno's go well since we tend to hear a lot about the bad experiences in this vein..
Enjoy the rest of your Oklahoma time and I'm sure we'll say hi in person at one of these western-states-based events!
You'll be in your newly fixed up van, I'll maybe be in my Tiger :)

Hi FlowerGirl,

In my thinking you are on very familiar ground, familiar to many of us who have contemplated shifting to a nomadic life.  Know that you are in no way alone in your concerns and questions and keep connecting with others.  There are thousands of hands reaching out to you that you may not see just yet, but you will if you keep moving in the same direction.

I'll tell you some things I did that were very helpful personally.  If you find something in it that's helpful to you that's great.

In no particular order:

- I spent lots of time watching YouTube videos of others who had launched out on the nomadic life.  Car dwellers, van dwellers, RVers.  Thanks again to Bob for all his fantastic work and the community he has brought together.  For me this was mostly about affirming that what I wanted to do wasn't unrealistic.  I mentioned my dream of the nomadic life to a few family and friends and they all had strong negative reactions.  I began to realize the need for some discretion in how I spoke about my dreams.  By watching lots of videos I made new connections that affirmed and celebrated my goals.  Those voices were important to me.  Since coming on this forum I've just been thrilled at the comments people have left and I am more excited than ever.  As for the naysayers, I simply don't share information with them.

- Beginning to downsize was my first real action toward starting the nomadic life.  Everything we own and every account we have require time and/or attention.  I started simplifying in every way.  I practiced living in a vehicle while living in a house.  I sold all that I could.  I started eating the way I planned to eat in my vehicle.  I closed all kinds of peripheral accounts that I really didn't need.  

- I searched online for vehicles for sale and began to understand what was available and what choices I had.  At first I thought I had to have a Class B RV, then I thought I had to have a van, then I decided I would be happy in a car because I truly have very simple needs.  I can always upgrade later.  Starting off small has taken a great deal of pressure off.  The learning curve is smaller.  The investment is smaller.  It feels a lot more like dipping my toe in the water than jumping into the deep end right from the start.

- Again and again I have heard people say in their videos that they started with more than they needed.  You aren't likely to know what you prefer until you are out there living in a vehicle.  Start with less, not more, and when tempted to buy, try not too.  My experience has been that I still have more than I need.  Fewer things = more discretionary time.

With the 2018 RTR coming up in January, you might consider that as a target.  If it's in your budget, fly out to take part.  Rent a vehicle, a van if you can, and come spend time with the tribe.  That may do more good for you than anything I can think of.  I hope to be there myself.  As Bob says in his latest video, connection with other like minded people is extremely important to most of us.

Looking forward to following your journey.

Drive and Thrive!

Les

Hi there and welcome!
What an awesome intro, and I can relate to your feelings about city life, a been-there-done-that-feeling and a deep craving for travel, adventure, new friends and the beauty to be found in the natural world. I'm brand new to this. All of the replies above are valuable to me too. I believe them. I trust them. And taking them all in, I make a decision. It's just a decision. The learning of it all is slowing me down, but that is necessary. I have plenty of fear about it. These folks are helping me as are websites like this one (my personal favorite) and YouTube. So, I got a van, an RV van that I don't have to build. I tried to back it in to my driveway. It took 15 minutes. But I did it! Bob Wells has an article on the very first page of the Cheap RV Living site welcoming people to the best time of their life, worth a read! Some of the best advice on dealing with our fears I have ever heard is simply stated in that one article. We all Bhave them. My hope is to make it to the RTR in 2018. Fingers crossed, we'll see! Best to you in your research and slow, patient strides! Would love to bump in to you one day.

duckwonder said:
Hi there and welcome!
What an awesome intro, and I can relate to your feelings about city life, a been-there-done-that-feeling and a deep craving for travel, adventure, new friends and the beauty to be found in the natural world.  I'm brand new to this.  All of the replies above are valuable to me too.  I believe them.  I trust them.  And taking them all in, I make a decision.  It's just a decision.  The learning of it all is slowing me down, but that is necessary.  I have plenty of fear about it.  These folks are helping me as are websites like this one (my personal favorite) and YouTube.  So, I got a van, an RV van that I don't have to build.  I tried to back it in to my driveway.  It took 15 minutes.  But I did it!  Bob Wells has an article on the very first page of the Cheap RV Living site welcoming people to the best time of their life, worth a read!  Some of the best advice on dealing with our fears I have ever heard is simply stated in that one article.  We all Bhave them.  My hope is to make it to the RTR in 2018.  Fingers crossed, we'll see!  Best to you in your research and slow, patient strides!  Would love to bump in to you one day.

Thanks so much for the kind words, Duckwonder....I appreciate your honesty in saying you are new to all this, and have some fear, too. That makes me feel a lot less "stuck" in that isolated feeling where you think everyone else is just plowing on to their best life and there you sit, rather paralyzed by all the what-if's and yeah-but's. 
I loved reading Chief Bob's page on dealing with our fears....it kind of condenses what takes many therapists years to drill down to! 
Would love to run into you some day, too. And we shall...of that I feel sure.

Les Moore said:
Hi FlowerGirl,

In my thinking you are on very familiar ground, familiar to many of us who have contemplated shifting to a nomadic life.  Know that you are in no way alone in your concerns and questions and keep connecting with others.  There are thousands of hands reaching out to you that you may not see just yet, but you will if you keep moving in the same direction.

I'll tell you some things I did that were very helpful personally.  If you find something in it that's helpful to you that's great.

In no particular order:

- I spent lots of time watching YouTube videos of others who had launched out on the nomadic life.  Car dwellers, van dwellers, RVers.  Thanks again to Bob for all his fantastic work and the community he has brought together.  For me this was mostly about affirming that what I wanted to do wasn't unrealistic.  I mentioned my dream of the nomadic life to a few family and friends and they all had strong negative reactions.  I began to realize the need for some discretion in how I spoke about my dreams.  By watching lots of videos I made new connections that affirmed and celebrated my goals.  Those voices were important to me.  Since coming on this forum I've just been thrilled at the comments people have left and I am more excited than ever.  As for the naysayers, I simply don't share information with them.

- Beginning to downsize was my first real action toward starting the nomadic life.  Everything we own and every account we have require time and/or attention.  I started simplifying in every way.  I practiced living in a vehicle while living in a house.  I sold all that I could.  I started eating the way I planned to eat in my vehicle.  I closed all kinds of peripheral accounts that I really didn't need.  

- I searched online for vehicles for sale and began to understand what was available and what choices I had.  At first I thought I had to have a Class B RV, then I thought I had to have a van, then I decided I would be happy in a car because I truly have very simple needs.  I can always upgrade later.  Starting off small has taken a great deal of pressure off.  The learning curve is smaller.  The investment is smaller.  It feels a lot more like dipping my toe in the water than jumping into the deep end right from the start.

- Again and again I have heard people say in their videos that they started with more than they needed.  You aren't likely to know what you prefer until you are out there living in a vehicle.  Start with less, not more, and when tempted to buy, try not too.  My experience has been that I still have more than I need.  Fewer things = more discretionary time.

With the 2018 RTR coming up in January, you might consider that as a target.  If it's in your budget, fly out to take part.  Rent a vehicle, a van if you can, and come spend time with the tribe.  That may do more good for you than anything I can think of.  I hope to be there myself.  As Bob says in his latest video, connection with other like minded people is extremely important to most of us.

Looking forward to following your journey.

Drive and Thrive!

Les
Wow, Les, your post has so much good, solid wisdom packed into it, it would take me paragraphs just to acknowledge each point separately. So I won't, but please know how much I appreciate your having taken the time to write all that out. I had no Internet for the holiday weekend, so I apologize for now acknowledging your seriously helpful response, earlier.

I suspect that what you wrote will continue to be valuable to many newbies who come along after me  :shy: 

Of particular interest was the part about practicing for the more mobile life while still living in a home. I have started doing just that, maybe even on the same day you wrote that to me...It's pretty sobering when one takes stock of all the accounts, memberships to paid groups, associations, etc. one has. I liked that you mentioned that specifically-- sometimes it's not about getting rid of STUFF, it's also about shedding these other kinds of anchors, some of them quite costly when added up all together.

I am being very observant of which things and amenities I simply will not do without and already have a strong sense of what those are. This will help determine what kind of rig I end up getting. 
Thanks for validating this way of being/ going....very appreciative of you.

Also resonant for me was your saying how starting small has actually given you the pressure relief you needed to get started. That was exactly what I needed to hear. 
Can't tell you how many times I've stood in an RV dealer's lot or had my finger hovering over the Contact Seller button on RV Trader and I got the ole paralysis by (over-)analysis right after having narrowed down what I thought I really, really wanted. Ugh. Then I just go home feeling bad about having wasted time when clearly I am just unable to decide what's best here.

So I suspect you are 100% right that starting small will be the ticket. What's stumped me each time I set out to proactively get a unit- (and I suspect I'm not alone in this 'dilemma') -- If it's new, it's a lot of money and I'm not sure I will love mobile living enough to justify that kind of purchase, let alone that this is the right rig or set-up for me. 

But-- If I buy an old one (so it's cheaper, taking at least THAT pressure off the equation) then I worry I will have problems with the rig and I'm the least mechanical person ever, so I start catastrophizing that I'll get stuck with a money-pit kind of unit.

So, see-sawing between these two poles (new and reliable but what if I don't like life on the road) versus old and cheap (but can be lots of expensive repairs coming)....has caused me to just freeze up. I know, First World problems, for sure....

I like your wisdom on this....just start small. 
Watch, you'll see me at the January RTR in a big, new EarthRoamer  :p  Ha! Don't I wish! 

Well, Les, thanks a million and in case you have any doubt at all about your contributions to this site, your single posting here has definitely contributed a lot to this lady, know that for sure. 

Please keep sharing your general insights as you have them, with all of us here...and thanks for posting photos of your progress in turning your car into Home. It's really coming together!

Latest posts