Newbie jumping in

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleBeginnings

Reaction score
I started a build thread, and was encouraged to introduce myself over here. 

I'm Aaron. I bought a van. I've got a lot of work to do.

That's pretty much the situation! I'm 37, and I went from high school to college to the corporate world where I currently trudge along. I like to get out to go camping or backpacking, and over the years the urge to get away from it all on a much longer timeframe has been growing larger and more urgent. I've been reading about van living for the last year or two.

My girlfriend and I went on a one week road trip in May, and we loved it so much I pulled the trigger and bought a 2004 Ford E350 SuperDuty Extended with ~75k miles. She's a big ol' beast!

I immediately dove into research and planning and buying components. We reached a base level of functionality (basically a bed platform and some curtains) and have been out a few times over the last few months. But the main build hasn't really started yet. I've got a lot of components that I purchased a couple months ago but haven't installed yet. We had a lot going on over the last couple months, including some travel and moving, so our delays are somewhat understandable. (Also, an E350 that hasn't been converted yet is VERY handy when it comes time to move!)

Well... we've got a week-long stay in Yosemite in early October, and we are determined that we will have, if not a "finished" van, a converted van! Walls, roof fan, accessory battery, LED lights at a minimum. Hopefully cabinets, sink, stove, etc to go with it. 

We both work full time and we live in a one-bedroom apartment in a crowded complex, so we typically park in one of our parents' driveways to get anything done. That's right... I'm the guy working on his conversion van in his girlfriend's parents' driveway! Somehow they haven't tried to chase me off yet. 

Aaron

Welcome Aaron to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. glad you made it to the Newcomers corner. highdesertranger

I bet her parents like a boyfriend who works to gain weekend fun and camping trips. Don't most parents like practical skills as well as a corporate job? LOL

I enjoyed the pics of your build, too.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Yes,  I was in the Corporate life once too.  Your experience sounds so familiar.  Fortunately I had my Van then and could get away on the long weekends or use it in my work. (as I could unload the Camping contents fairly quickly into a storage building to convert it back to a Cargo Van for work)  I towed a small car behind it when I moved from division to division
from HQ offices. 

Below in the signature lines I have two links.  One basically my Van back then and the other a Portal of handy info to have
when at home and planning a journey or while on the road to use so you can find comforts and conveniences easily as you would in your own home town. 

Good luck and all the best !