Newbie here with first time older MH.. recently purchased.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsLaurie

Reaction score
Hello ya'all,

Hubby and myself just recently purchased our first MH (Smaller 25 foot) and an older one did not want to spend 50K plus for the size MH we wanted and layout.  So found a 1995 Itasca Passage with the body layout we were looking for.   Plan on doing mostly boon docking since we live in Northern Idaho plenty of places to boon dock with lakes and rivers all around.   :heart:
We are in the process of fixing up the RV and trying to fix things here and there as we go along.  Its in great shape and we are only the 2nd owners but still we want to make it our own and upgrade a few things. 

We will be putting in a solar system (Panels, controller and inverter etc) in the next few weeks.  So far no leaks but a small area of delamination around one storage compartment on the outside (I didn't see that until after we purchased nor did our inspector when they inspected it for us prior to purchasing) we will be resealing all windows, seams, compartments. roof next week just to be on the safe side and be proactive.

We did purchase 6 new tires..and had the brakes inspected which turned out to be fine, plenty of life left we were told. 

We noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of (sway/wag) going on its kind of scary to drive.  Not sure if we just have to get used to it or should we be replacing the front airbags and rear shocks?   We would like to add a steering stabilizer bar but we cannot seem to find or confirm one that will fit it.    ANY SUGGESTIONS????  Its a  Chevy P-30 chassis but I do not think a workhorse. 

I attached the spec's for the chassis... any suggestions on what we should replace to make it ride more straight and not sway down the road so much or suggestion for a steering stabilizer that may fit ours?  Seems like we have to fight to keep it on the road in a straight line.. but then maybe since we are new to driving an RV this it maybe normal??

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Chevy P30 chassis specs - 1995.pdf
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
Welcome MsLaurie to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

if anybody is wondering why I left the attachment is because it's not really a link but an attachment and a PFD file.

EBay has the steering stabilizer plus NAPA or any other good auto parts should be able to order it.

Happy camping.

I cannot seem to find any place that will state which steering stabilizer will fit?? So far all I get is well I'm not sure if the one we have will fit yours??

Right now it does not have one on it as far as I can tell..

So we were going to add an aftermarket. I guess will try and call NAPA haven't tried them yet.

After driving MH for 50-plus years, I have found that the longer the wheelbase the better it handles on the road. A 36' is a dream to drive compared to a shorter one. Physic's apply to motor homes... length, height and weight.

Don't forget batteries.

"Tires and Batteries." is the mantra when buying the new old RV-TT-MH.

I'm adding entry door to that list. They install round cornered windows. Then they install a door with square corners.

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

mpruet said:
Does it have air suspension?  If so then it is not unusual for it to rock a bit.

It has front air bags and rear shocks.  We are just so new to driving one of these we are unsure if normal or not.  I guess will give a look under and see if we notice anything worn out excessively or anything and then drive for a few weeks and see if we just get used to it.

it has front coil springs with air bag assist and rear leaf springs. of course it has shocks at all 4 corners. she posted the chassis spec sheet in the first post. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
it has front coil springs with air bag assist and rear leaf springs.  of course it has shocks at all 4 corners.  she posted the chassis spec sheet in the first post.  highdesertranger

Yes, but those were the specs from the original purchase.  Folks often will change out the suspension in a rig.

Sounds to me like you need to find a shop that specializes in truck suspension.  Ask around and find out where businesses who use delivery trucks go to have suspension work done.  Maybe ask the people who maintain the school buses in your town where they get front suspension work done.  This is important enough to have it done right.

The P30 chassis was known have issues....especially as things wear out.

You might want to look at the line of steering stabilizers made for that chassis....here is a short related video:

wow Texas, what a great resource. I saved that one. that should help Laurie out. highdesertranger

It might be a good resource for anyone trying to restore one of these older P-chassis motorhomes.

In 2000, I bought a 1987 Itasca Sunflyer, made by Winnebago, a 22ft Class A built on that chassis. At the time, he was 13 years old, and we called him Stumpy....because he looked kinda 'stumpy'....short and fat.

I wish I would have had access to information like that pdf. I had a lot of work done to him, and did a lot of the work myself. But he always handled poorly if the wind was blowing from the side. 

On the other hand, he had a BIG motor and ran like a dream, despite an exhaust leak, low fuel mileage, and bouncy ride. The air bags in front would leak down after a few days...finally I gave up on those and just drove the coach with them deflated. 

Over the course of 17 years I wore out and replaced many of the coach systems, and of course, made some good memories. It was one of the few vehicles I have ever owned that deserved a name...whenever we talked about him, we referred to him as Stumpy.

After 17 years, I sold him at auction, now he was 30 years old and in poor cosmetic condition...neglect, rain, hail, and UV exposure had taken it's toll. He was also broken into and vandalized twice.

But maybe somewhere, someone, has either put him back in service, quirks and all, or he is sitting in a back lot somewhere, with two bad front legs, and probably wishes to hit the road again. 

Meet Stumpy:

IMG_20160418_144011.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_144011.jpg
    IMG_20160418_144011.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1