Newbie from Missouri

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moe on the Go

Reaction score
Hello Gang,
I am a 52 year old single lady living in Springfield, Missouri. I have raised my child and have an empty nest now, although I do have 2 four-legged fur babies that I dearly love.  Currently, I am still working full time in the medical field as a nurse, however, I'm hanging by a thread... I say that because I struggle daily with quitting my job to live a "corporate politic free" life. I don't want to work until I'm in my mid to late 60's, and then be too tired or physically worn out to go and do and explore. I want to go now!

I agree with the philosophy that society lies to us to keep people in the "work-eat-sleep-pay bills" cycle.  In addition, the healthcare company that I work for continues to put more work on to all employees, expecting more productivity for the same pay, while also taking away some of our benefits... truth is they get greedier and greedier with each passing year. 
I have been researching the nomadic RV lifestyle for about a year now.  Bob's website and videos have been a huge resource for finding all kinds of helpful information about this way of life.  He makes it sound and look so easy,  :)  as do many of the other Youtuber RV peeps.

I am currently researching vehicles and am about convinced that I will end up with either a small class C or a high top sprinter van.  The class C is appealing for the larger space, whereas the sprinter van would be easier to drive, to park, and would get better mileage. I'm thinking alot of living is done outside in a screen room or in nature...so do I really need all that room and extra fuel consumption/cost of the class C?  
Anyone have any great advice on that?  
Anyhow, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to reading more on this forum.

Welcome to the forum... it's so good to have you here.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Moe on the Go! Visit a large RV dealer so that you can check out each type of RV. Go through the motions of daily living - cooking, sleeping, showering, relaxing, etc. You'll want a comfortable space because you'll be spending a good bit of time inside when the weather isn't nice.
As far as this life being easy :) It is but only if you are prepared for it with an emergency fund and an ability to accept that things don't always go as planned. A flexible personality is a good trait for vandwelling. Good luck with your plans!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums. There is an endless option of life style vehicles for your upcoming adventure. I visited Quartzsite a couple years ago looking for my home on wheels, couldn't believe the vehicle options that are on display and currently in use by other travelers out there.

There are lots of options for traveling/temporary nurses. I can't speak to the details of that, but in any case you shouldn't have any problem moving to more van dwelling friendly location. I'd suspect you'd be better off taking short term intensive work and paying some sort of rent for that than trying to work part time while van dwelling, but both are probably doable.

Latest posts