Newbie-Doobie-Doo!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scobos42

Reaction score
Hey folks. Just sold my place with a decent profit, but that's it for me. Everything else will be sold off and I'm outta here. Closing is at the end of this week and my vacating grace period ends on 11/9/23. I have a 1994 Ford Van that I use as primary transportation. It will become my home very soon. I have some basic ideas on how to modify it to become that traveling home, but I'm open to any suggestions or success stories converting the same vehicle. Thanks

Hey folks. Just sold my place with a decent profit, but that's it for me. Everything else will be sold off and I'm outta here. Closing is at the end of this week and my vacating grace period ends on 11/9/23. I have a 1994 Ford Van that I use as primary transportation. It will become my home very soon. I have some basic ideas on how to modify it to become that traveling home, but I'm open to any suggestions or success stories converting the same vehicle. Thanks
Welcome to the forum, Scobos:)

Look in the van section for builds on similar vehicles. Or open a thread in that section and start posting your questions there.

Greeting Scobos42 and welcome to the VanLiving Forum !

I have a couple of links below in the signature line that may be of interest to you. The first for setting up a simple build to get going in and the second is a portal of handy info to use when planning or while out there. It is to help provide as much safety, comfort, and convenience as a nomad would need. It's all free and you're welcome to it.

..........and I agree with INTJohn, the care you take of your rig should have your rig taking care of you.
:)

The only thing you really NEED starting out is a comfortable way to sleep.

If you're not already a camper, then start right now with the van you have and the stuff you already have or can buy inexpensively at a thrift store. It's the best way to learn what YOU really need and how YOU should be arranging your stuff. Which is not necessarily the same thing as what I need or how I should organize my stuff.

If you find that you really need some other kind of vehicle, you won't have invested too much time or energy.

Congratulations on a popular choice!
How are you doing with your RequirementsStatement?
This helps clarify your sleeping/eating/security needs.
It also helps establish your schedule for travel and destination(s).
An aside:
Prior to building our ExpeditionVehicle, we experimented with vans.
For us and our needs, the interior curves and cubic space proved less full-time live-aboard friendly than a box-truck.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits, plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110

I agree with the above comments. Don't over think or over due your conversion. Really think through what you NEED before thinking about what you want. Everything you add will add wait and affect your gas milage. I am on my second van and both of my builds were very basic. I never tried to make my van into a home.......it's a place to stay when I am traveling. So I have a bed, a means to cook, and a sink to clean up in. Then I take it on a road trip and see how it goes. Then I add things as I go.