Newbie and afraid to take the next step

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grab a snack and a pillow and go sit and eat your snack in your travel trailer. Babiest of baby steps, but little by little from there.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Catherine! Most of us were a little afraid of jumping into the great unknown of vandwelling so what you're feeling is normal however I agree with Crackedpan - you must be a nomad at heart. Lots of good advice from everyone. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. ! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

DreamingOfRving said:
:blush: Hello everybody. I think this is my first post but I could be wrong. Don’t remember. 

Anyhoo... I’ve been following and watching and listening and learning from everyone on here and on YouTube. I’ve taken the trial run and was out in Arizona from PA for the WRTR and the rest of January in a tent. I know I can do this! I know!

Last week I bought a small travel trailer just big enough for myself and my wiener dog. But I seem to be stuck now. I have everything I need now but I’m not doing anything with it. I’ve literally not been back in the trailer since I brought it home. It’s  like I’m scared. Stuck in quicksand. I don’t know. 

Does this make any sense?  Anybody got any words to help me get going?

Thank you for any help

Catherine
A lot of really great people have given advice for small steps.

You have your rig, and have even camped in a tent for a month, so you know you can do it.

You are the only person who can make the decision. Stop waiting for other people to make up your mind, because they can't.

No one here can guarantee your success with this endeavor.

It's up to you- take the leap, or not.

wildbill said:
YES, I understand. I just keep building the trailer, lol. Hey, bigsallysmom, what backup camera do you suggest,

Don't have one for the van yet.  I'm still stuck at wireless or wired and what do I view it through now that my nexus 7 broke.

Welcome to the adventure.  You do not have to go far into the lonely off grid desert to begin with.  Go to a state park or a private campground that has easy access to water, trash removal, and a dump station.  Most have ranger talks, lectures in the amphitheater, or for private ones, games, cards, getogethers, and other fun.  You will meet people who mostly will be friendly and welcoming.  Plan what meals you’ll make and what tourist things you will do.  Those CGs are nice to return to later when you are adept at bare bones camping.  Enjoy!

Don't commit go anywhere with your trailer today. Too much pressure. Just commit to go sit in it for 30 minutes. Cross that bridge. Bring the dog. Picture your life in it. What will you need? What will your pup need? Buy a couple things - paper towels, fog bows. Unpack them the next day and sit for 30 more minutes. Visualize it again. What is next step? Make a list of supplies, interior changes... while inside your trailer, not in the house. Grow the connections. Remember: 'a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'

Hey, I'm at a place emotionally where I feel a mix of excitement and, well, terror.  I get excited looking at vehicles to buy, planning how to outfit mine, and figuring out what to bring, but fear takes over when I'm dealing with all my crap that I've got to get rid of.  It's paralyzed me this past week, so nothing got done. And my situation demands that I leave my apartment SOON.  So I have to get past this and get a move on.

Usually, it's the unfamiliar that scares us the most. I'm not sure how I will conquer that for myself, but for you, Catherine, why not take some of the baby steps people suggested and get familiar with your trailer. Sit in it and get cozy with it. You can do this!

^^^ Lay your possessions into different piles depending on need. Have a donate pile, a sell pile, a must have no matter what pile, and a if I have room pile. Ideally, your things will be split into four equal piles, two of which can be dispatched quickly, while the third pile can be a "wait and see" pile.

No one can do this for you, only you. Traveling while burdened down with extra boxes of stuff wears on your soul, so purge it, and feel free !

Weve all been there. Its hard to convey but once you make it out here its really no big deal. Having money solves any issue with breakdowns. Its frankly pretty boring if youre not setting goals and doing things.

Repeat: its no big deal.

Caravan's are an ingenious approach to alleviating the unknown, and supporting your personal goals, with people that have a desire to consider this lifestyle.  I had the opportunity to camp next to a caravan for a few days at RTR.  I also was invited to attend a couple of their evening campfire sessions. Everyone was relaxed in sharing of ideas and information of themselves.

Looking back, the Caravan's (as observed by an outsider) was reminiscent of the old wagon trains. Veteran guides would lead individuals to a possible brighter future.  Of course the hardships that the pioneers had were significantly higher than the caravans. Can I say LOL? 

At the staging areas for the pioneers the guides probably inspected each rig and made experienced recommendations. This forum is a valuable resource for just that. The immigrant trail was strewn with belongings that are still being found today. People adjusted their needs along the way. 
Does a free pile ring a bell?

To sum it up take the advice of others, staging your rig and and testing yourself and your rig on short trips. Log your observations for yourself and your rig. It won't be perfect but like many others you most assuredly will make adjustments on the trail.

I think getting rid of stuff is the very hardest part. I still have a barn and shed to go thru and I’d rather stick a needle in my eye.

I hate the nagging little thought that says, “but you might need that one day” or “but that’s worth a lot of money”. But do I have the round tuits to actually put crap on line to sell? I just don’t want too and get stifled by my brain so don’t do anything.

What would be great would have a dedicated person to go thru all the crap for you and sell it for a share of the profit. But who wants to go that pile of crap?

Ditto Cammalu! I just had All my children here to go through everything. My plans are to put the house on the market next spring or early summer. There are services that come in and assess your belongings, furniture etc... and take everything all at once and give you a small check.
But I am going to opt for a fellow enterprising van dweller that knows how to Post and sell and agree to a percentage rate that would be worth it to the both of us. Anything leftover will be donated or landfill.