New van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrenAlSur

Reaction score
Hello folks! 

First off, big congrats on everyone here for sharing their knowledge and spreading the love of living. 
I have not started to build my van but I have learned a lot from reading your stories and adventures. so, THANK YOU!! 

(First post, on any forum ever, really!) 

Long story short: Colombian, living in NYC for about 5 years. I got a Dodge Ram 1500. Straight up a cargo van with nothing in the back. So excited to start making things happen and see this country around. Im planning to drive from NYC to California sometime in september. Not really in a rush to turn this into a full time living set up yet, as I would like to drive around for a little bit and discover my own needs for it. But there is definitely some work thats gotta be done.   

First things that I want to do is window/heat/air work.  

-Tint the front door windows and the windshield darker to help repel the heat and gain some privacy. I've heard different opinions about being able to do this in new york. Any information on this? Any recommendation on where to go do it, the right way, for a fair prize? Is it better to go out of state for this? 

-Besides the front cabin, all the other windows in the van are the two bubble or "funny" windows and the two back door windows. I do not see big need to darken the round windows but what about the back door ones? They do not open, and Im thinking it would be good if they open to generate air circulation and ventilation. I've seen some that open a little from the bottom which to me seems the best way to do it. Any insights on these? and again a "window" place in new york where I can make this happen, the right way, for a fair prize?

-My last though about this "window work" is the roof. "Roof vent? roof vent with fan? sunroof, moonroof or skylight?"
Eventually I might get into batery-solar panneling-electrical situation but not right now. So no fan for now I guess and my though is.. If Im going to cut open a whole in the roof for a vent, why not then have a big skylight? Im a big fan of keep it simple and do not want to complicate anything but... it'd be nice!

I am in new york and have no tools or place where I can do any of this work myself, although I would love to do it. So for now Im looking on some advice and where to take the van and have all this window - roof vent/sunroof work done. Because the last thing I need is a roof leak! 

Next step for me would be insulation, but before I get to put work on the inside of the van I wonder if there is anything else on the body itself that I should consider. Advices and suggestions are greatly appreciated as stated before, this van is a blank sheet of paper right now! 

Many thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains for a little bit.  :idea:

STAY FREE
All the best! 

TrenAlSur

Congrats on your van and welcome to the forum.

-Check your local businesses for a shop that does window tinting. They should know what the NY laws are. It's not recommended (and probably illegal) to tint all of the windshield because night driving is affected. Tint is often applied to 6" or so at the top to reduce glare.

-You can buy folding sunscreens that fit on the inside of the windshield that will give you some privacy.

-What year is your Dodge? Most of the older ones have rear windows that open at the bottom like the side windows so you can have ventilation while it's raining.

-Older Dodges have a flat area (no ribs) on the roof where a 14" by 14" vent can be installed. Not sure on the newer vans but you can check easily with a ladder. I have one like this on my van:

https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Low-Profile-Metal/dp/B007PRMRX4

It's for basic ventilation but there are also powered vents available to help deal with high temps.

Welcome TrenAlSur to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger