New Van Day!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawnking said:
I have been shopping vans pretty heavy in the last few months and had a lot of hand ringing on what to get.
Bobs recent you tube video on vans pushed me. Thanks Bob!
Bought a new 2017 GMC Savana 3/4 ton yesterday, barn doors, 4.8 V8, 6 speed auto trans, it is awesome and a beast!
I have a good job now and will stay on it for awhile.
Cant wait to start the build out!
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger myself but still wresting over standard vs. extended and 4.8 or 6.0.  One feature I know for sure I want is the G80 Locking Differential.  I'd also like dual isolated batteries, the 220 AMP alternator, rear vision camera, HD trailering equipment and the tow/haul mode selector.  I'm having a difficult time finding one with these features in inventory.  May have to special order.  Which begs the question:  Why does a personally configured van with all these options price out less than a van without these goodies sitting in someone's inventory?  I'd think it would be the other way around.

As a side note:  Sure wish Bob would start posting his build video's ... hint

Matt

hangtownmatt said:
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger myself but still wresting over standard vs. extended and 4.8 or 6.0.  One feature I know for sure I want is the G80 Locking Differential.  I'd also like dual isolated batteries, the 220 AMP alternator, rear vision camera, HD trailering equipment and the tow/haul mode selector.  I'm having a difficult time finding one with these features in inventory.  May have to special order.  Which begs the question:  Why does a personally configured van with all these options price out less than a van without these goodies sitting in someone's inventory?  I'd think it would be the other way around.

As a side note:  Sure wish Bob would start posting his build video's ... hint

Matt

You could probably find a passenger van equipped similarly but it would be next to impossible to find a CV with any of that.  The G80 comes in a lot of vehicles. Even if you are going to order, try for fleet pricing, ask for the fleet manager, even if you dont have a business, at the end of a month or the end of a quarter, they'd likely be willing to deal.  Tow/Haul should be standard on the tranny...at least it is on Ford.

a quick web search says your standard 6 speed should have tow/haul:  TRANSMISSION, 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC, HEAVY-DUTY, ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED with overdrive tow/haul mode and internal transmission oil cooler (STD)

This world isn said:
You could probably find a passenger van equipped similarly but it would be next to impossible to find a CV with any of that.  The G80 comes in a lot of vehicles. Even if you are going to order, try for fleet pricing, ask for the fleet manager, even if you dont have a business, at the end of a month or the end of a quarter, they'd likely be willing to deal.  Tow/Haul should be standard on the tranny...at least it is on Ford.
Solid advice.  I'll have o look into the passenger vans because I flip-flop on windows also.  3/4 or 1 ton is another desire that changes often.  Too many damm compromises!

And sorry DawnKing.  I don't mean to tread on your thread.

In AZ, a 2500 (3/4) CV is a personal vehicle.  A 3500 (1 Ton) CV is commercial... FYI

From a different forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26870380.cfm[/SIZE]

[font=arial, helvetica,][font=arial, helvetica,]Posted: 04/12/13 06:08pm:[/font]
[/font]

"Question: I'm considering a full-size van for a tow vehicle. Right now, all we have is a popup, but hope to upgrade to a 28'-32' with a GVWR in the #7,000-9,000 range. I gave up hope searching for a 3/4-1 ton truck due to the cost, but then I stumbled upon Chevy Express vans that have tow ratings of near #10,000 for much less cost. I'm finding 2012 vans with the 6.0L and 6 speed for around $20,000 with less than 20,000 miles.

I'm still several months away from making the purchase and am trying to learn what I can before committing. I'm not interested in Ford vans (too many REALLY bad experiences with Ford in the past), which leaves me with Chevy/GMC.

I'm pretty committed to the 6.0L, but am confused about the 2500 vs. the 3500. Since they have very similar tow ratings and I don't tow often, I was thinking about the 2500 for the better ride quality empty. However, I've read that the 2500 has more body roll (even empty) and seems to be somewhat undersprung in the suspension.

This caused me to start looking for the differences between the two, unfortunately the GM website doesn't offer a lot of detail. What's the real difference between the two(2010+ model year)? Same chassis? Same rear-end? Same transmission? 

So, far the only differences that I have found is that the 3500 has an extra leaf on the rear axle, slightly heavier axles and slightly larger brakes. Is that it? Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!" 

Answers: Express/Savana vans are great rigs. I would buy one in a heartbeat if the wife could climb up in. 
They handle far superior to an E-series. I can't speak to the differences between the 2500/3500 differences but there's a good chance the 3500 has lower gears and/or a larger rear axle. I have driven several 3500 15 passenger vans empty and thought they rode fine for an empty van.

Stay away from extended rear cargo sections, you want the axle as close to the bumper as possible for best ride and easier on the W/D hitch.

I think they both have the 10 1/2" full floater. 

Honestly, the only difference I am aware of is that the 3500 has the 9600# GVWR and the 2500 is at 8600# GVWR. Like you mentioned, probably the spring and upgraded axle weight rating. 

We went with a 3500 a year ago when we bought because there was just more of them available, and I was looking for a couple of specific things that our 3500 had. 

It is my wife's daily driver and she hasn't complained one bit about how it drives and rides. Actually, the one comment she did make was how quickly she adjusted to driving the Express after having driven a minivan for the previous year. While empty I do air the rear tires down to 62-65 psi and we think it rides just fine. 

TrekkerB wrote:
[img=1x8]http://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/x.gif[/img]
I'm considering a full-size van for a tow vehicle. Right now, all we have is a popup, but hope to upgrade to a 28'-32' with a GVWR in the #7,000-9,000 range. I gave up hope searching for a 3/4-1 ton truck due to the cost, but then I stumbled upon Chevy Express vans that have tow ratings of near #10,000 for much less cost. I'm finding 2012 vans with the 6.0L and 6 speed for around $20,000 with less than 20,000 miles.

Like all modern vans, there're very few differences between 3/4 and 1 ton models. You're looking at an extra rear leaf on the 3500, and that's honestly just about it.

FYI, with the Fords, even the E150 rides on the exact same chassis / axle as the E350, since 2007. The GM 1500s does have a separate chassis though.

Both the 2500 and 3500 have the 3.42 rear end, paired up with the excellent 6L90 6 speed auto. The deep 1st gear makes anything over 3.42 unnecessary. Drive both and see which one is sprung the best for your needs. But compared to even a 3/4 ton Suburban, these vans have much superior carrying capacity, so I really can't see them being under-sprung. 

End of quotes...

Congrats Dawn on your new savana purchase.
   Now the fun begins on your buildout.  I purchased my 2012 savana 2500  12 seat passenger van in March 2016.  I bought the 6.0L with six speed tranny.  Mine came with all the plastic molding all around and with seats and rubber mat in the rear.  It took me about 10 hours to remove all the moulding.  I didn't initially plan all that because the van was to be used mainly as a tow vehicle.  But so much wasted space as it came from the factory.  You won't have any of that to deal with.  Take your time and do it YOUR way.

To This world isn't Home and HangtownMatt and Dawn my 2500's rear end is a 9.5" AAM and 3.42 gear ratio.  I believe the 3500 is the same.  I believe the 3500 HD has a 10.5" rear end.  I put an ARB air locker in my van last fall and will write more on a build thread coming up.  Like someone said earlier I too wish Bob would start posting his build thread.  Hint Hint

Gapper2,

Thanks for the real world tech info on your late model Express.  Could you advise as to the cost installed (or at least parts if you did it yourself) of the locker?  There's threads about different lockers, you've chosen a good one, certainly more of an investment than a "lunch box" type. How have you liked it? Any reviews of performance on differing surfaces such as loose sand, mud, snow, ice etc?

Anything you'd have done differenty?

Thanks if you have the time to post on it.

Sorry for the late reply,  I've been visitin.
  I installed the ARB kit myself.  Kit model RD197.  The total kit price was ~1500 and that included the air ARB air compressor.  I don't want to hijack Dawn's thread so if you will start a thread or wait till I start my build thread I have reccomendations and things that I learned along the way.

gapper2 said:
Sorry for the late reply,  I've been visitin.
  I installed the ARB kit myself.  Kit model RD197.  The total kit price was ~1500 and that included the air ARB air compressor.  I don't want to hijack Dawn's thread so if you will start a thread or wait till I start my build thread I have reccomendations and things that I learned along the way.

I'll let you start your build thread. Lockers and limited slip rears have been discussed and I am a big one on doing a search before just asking a question... so I'll let you include it in your build thread.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware they were that costly, though I have read they are tops...

Thanks again for this forum it has given me the courage to cut a hole in the roof of brand new van.  I anguished over this for weeks while the fan sat in the garage.  But getting ahead of myself.  Started with fatmat sound deadner last weekend, covered the wheel wells and then put strips on the side and roof pannels.  Bought 25ft from amazon and it came in 5 sheets.  Stuff was very easy to work with and the road noise reduction is very noticeable.
Yesterday was fantastic fan install day.  I broke into a full on sweat as i held the drill up to the roof for the first pilot hole, then pulled the trigger and then no going back!  With the 4 corner holes drilled i began with the jigsaw, cut out square from the inside.  Got the hole cut out and got up on the roof to check the fit.  The fan would not drop into the hole so had to go back at it with the jigsaw and trim a bit more off all the sides.  This took me 1 hour.  Next up was drilling pilot holes for the screws then remove the vent and put butyl tape all around the outside of hole covering the pilot holes.  Then press fan onto tape and screw down.  Then covered all screws and edges with Dicor Lap sealant.  This took an additional hour, so 2 hours total.  After that I was so proud of myself I celebrated with beer at local brewery!!!
Honestly I did not think I had it in me to do this but what a great feeling to get it done.  I do not consider myself to be any kind of builder/craftsmen.  This forum has inspired me so!
Next up is the pink 1 inch polyiso!
Trying to post pix, not sure if they will come through.
OK, tried to send post with attachments but picture size is too large. I tried to adjust size of photo but could not figure out how to do it.
If anyone can help with this i will post the pix.