New Van Day!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawnking

Reaction score
I have been shopping vans pretty heavy in the last few months and had a lot of hand ringing on what to get.
Bobs recent you tube video on vans pushed me. Thanks Bob!
Bought a new 2017 GMC Savana 3/4 ton yesterday, barn doors, 4.8 V8, 6 speed auto trans, it is awesome and a beast!
I have a good job now and will stay on it for awhile.
Cant wait to start the build out!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dawnking! Congratulations! Don't forget the photos and descriptions of your build once you get going on it. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Dawnking said:
I Bought a new 2017 GMC Savana 3/4 ton yesterday, barn doors, 4.8 V8, 6 speed auto trans, it is awesome and a beast!
Talk about jumping right in. Your new van sounds like you ticked all the right boxes too. :)

Shoulda waited for the 2.8 Diesel...

music.gif
  Happy New Van Day to You! 
music.gif

I know the feeling! On August 1st, last year, I knew nothing about vandwelling as a life choice . Then I found CRVL. Two weeks later, we sold our Honda Fit and Element and bought Blanca, our Nissan NV. Our maiden voyage is in 10 days. It's taken us this long to get to this place.

Buying the van was the first, and in retrospect, the simplest step. But it's been a blast getting her built and ready. We just finished the install on the fridge yesterday. Today I put beer in it for her christening.

Congratulations on starting a wonderful journey. Have fun!

Oh, I also need to say, "Thank you, Bob Wells!"

Congrats and welcome! Any pics?

I am pretty busy at work during the week and only get things done for the van on the weekend... which makes progress very slow.

Congrats! Nothing like a brand new vehicle. I've been looking at new ones myself for the last year, just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. In part because I really like having my 4x4 pickup. May just end up getting one though.

Congrats to you! That must be so freeing and exciting to finally purchase your vehicle after months of searching. 

I look forward to that feeling myself when I find our vehicle....I think I'll even be more excited than when buying our first house!

Having a new van is an awesome feeling for sure.
Looking in the back of Savy and seeing the potential for travel and adventure is the greatest feeling.
Bought a few things on amazon prime, fantastic fan, fan cover, window rain gaurds, wyntner 45 qt fridge, road pro fan.
I know this is Cheap RV living and am really trying to go cheap but the van was a big purchase and a huge step in the right direction.
Going for 1inch poly iso insulation at home depot this weekend and will try to post pix of build.
Love this forum and eternally thankful for all the info here, gives me hope when for the later years !

Thanks for all the congrats really appreciate it everyone.

Got some stuff for Savy, fantastik fan and cover, wynter 45qt fridge, poly iso 1 inch 3 boards to start.
Also 25ft of fat mat sound deadner. Put it on the wheel wells and covered them up pretty good.
Also put strips on the ceiling and sides.  Did not fully cover like I did on the wheel wells.
Next up the pink poly iso instalation.  Will be starting that this weekend.
Will try to post some pix.
Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

Dawnking said:
Thanks for all the congrats really appreciate it everyone.

Got some stuff for Savy, fantastik fan and cover, wynter 45qt fridge, poly iso 1 inch 3 boards to start.
Also 25ft of fat mat sound deadner. Put it on the wheel wells and covered them up pretty good.
Also put strips on the ceiling and sides.  Did not fully cover like I did on the wheel wells.
Next up the pink poly iso instalation.  Will be starting that this weekend.
Will try to post some pix.
Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

I presume its a standard length CV then?  White?  That's where the best "fleet" deals are now anyway.

2017 Chevrolet Express Lineup Loses 6.6L V8 Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine, Gets Other Minor Changes And Updates

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05...n-changes-updates-new-features/#ixzz4eEhCLhQ9

The 2017 Express Cargo van then gets the following deletions and new features:

Deleted Equipment

• 6.6L V8 Duramax Turbo Diesel LGH engine
  • 6.0L V8 Gaseous LC8 engine and associated dedicated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) system
  • 3- and 4-fuel tank configurations
  • 145-amp alternator
  • 3.54 ratio rear axle
  • Rainforest Green Metallic exterior color

New Features

• Graphite Metallic exterior color
  • Spray-in cargo liner
  • 150-amp alternator
  • Trailer wiring changes from 7-pin sealed connector to dual 4-pin/7-pin sealed connector

Following are GM’s official RPO-level changes to the 2017 Chevrolet Express Cargo:

Deletions

• (LGH) Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel engine
  • (LC8) Engine, 6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous
  • (FHZ) Dedicated Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) system
  • (G7J) Rainforest Green Metallic
  • (UFM) Fuel tank, 3-tank configuration
  • (UFP) Fuel tank, 4-tank configuration
  • (KG3) Alternator, 145 amps
  • (GHO) Rear axle, 3.54 ratio

New Features

• (GPA) Graphite Metallic
  • (CGN) Cargo liner, spray-in
  • (KG4) Alternator, 150 amps
  • (UY7) Trailer wiring, changes from 7-pin sealed connector to dual 4-pin/7-pin sealed connector

Read more: [size=medium]http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05...n-changes-updates-new-features/#ixzz4eEhOkIf1
[/size]

[size=medium]Not too many of the pricy Duramax's were bought so that simplifies.[/size]

• 135 in./ 155 in. Wheelbase
  • Vortec 4.8L V8/ Vortec 6.0L V8 Engine
  • 285 hp.
  • 295 lb.-ft Torque
  • Up to 17,000 lbs. Gross combination weight rating
  • Up to 8,600 lbs. Gross vehicle weight rating
  • Up to 3,234 lbs. Payload
[size=medium]Oh, another review site: http://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...-van-2500-new-car-review-263207[/SIZE][/size]

[size=medium][font=Roboto, sans-serif]How Much?[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]$31,940-$45,000[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Fuel Economy[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Two engines are offered. Standard is a 285-horsepower 4.8-liter V8, which touts Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-rated fuel economy of just 11 miles per gallon in the city and 17 mpg on the highway. Towing capacity with the 4.8-liter V8 is 8,900 pounds as a cargo van or 8,700 pounds as a passenger van.[/font]

[size=medium][font=Roboto, sans-serif]Drivers who want more power can opt for an optional 342-hp 6.0-liter V8, which enables the van to tow up to 10,000 pounds in cargo form or 9,600 pounds as a passenger van. The larger engine returns only slightly worse fuel economy of 11 mpg city/16 mpg hwy. The 2.8-liter turbodiesel will arrive later in the model year with 181 hp and a whopping 369 lb-ft of torque. All gasoline engines are mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission, while the diesel is mated to a new 8-speed unit.[/font][/size]

[size=medium][font=Roboto, sans-serif]Anyway, all this specifications babble aside, congrats on a "new" CV that no one else has abused, driven 15,000 miles without an oil change or done other hidden things too...   :shy: [/font][/size]