New to this - Is a 1997-1999 econoline a bad idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celeritas

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to this forum.

I am looking to convert a DIY camper from a ford econoline. I've begun searching for a used van to purchase. Is a pre-2000s van a terrible idea to invest time and money into converting? Can anyone give their experiences?

As long as it isn't all rusted out. Engines, transmissions and all the other mechanical parts can be rebuilt or replaced as they wear out. My pickup is a 96 and I wouldn't think twice about hopping in it and driving across country. Build to your budget. My preference is a 95 or older because in my state (Missouri) a 95 or older vehicle is exempt from emission inspections but I didn't think about that back when I bought my truck new. Silly me....

The older drive lines tend to be easier to work on and have cheaper parts. Less electronics usually makes things more simple but you usually lose some fuel mileage without all the tech. I switched to a 1996 dodge van over my 2000 gmc because of some intermittent security system issues.

Motrukdriver said:
As long as it isn't all rusted out.  Engines, transmissions and all the other mechanical parts can be rebuilt or replaced as they wear out.  My pickup is a 96 and I wouldn't think twice about hopping in it and driving across country.  Build to your budget.  My preference is a 95 or older because in my state (Missouri) a 95 or older vehicle is exempt from emission inspections but I didn't think about that back when I bought my truck new.  Silly me....

I'm glad you asked that because this van is possibly going to be mine. I have no idea what year it is or what condition its in because I've only seen it from the outside and took a pic. The lady who is selling it has it parked and never used it, she said she paid 900bucks and ran but thats all she knows and will be seeing it this Sunday. It will beat living inside a tiny 5ft bed of a Nissan Frontier pickup which I'll be happy to sell around for around 1500 bucks. I recall having a Toyota 4x4 with a 22R engine and how much I enjoyed working on it without all the insane gadgets and hope this van will be easy to work on the engine if needed. Wish me luck, I'll look forward to making it extremely comfortable to live in and will see how much it can tow because I'd like to buy a trailer also from a dealer, like a 22ft or so with a dual axel wheel. And yeah, smog is a concern and will find out also, I"m based out of Southern South/East Colorado.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 8.48.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 8.48.32 PM.png
    237 KB