New to the forums

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvmom

Reaction score
My kids and I have been full time since November. I am disabled and they are both autistic adults. We are trying to save money to get some solar installed on our camper. So I’m on here trying to learn about dispersed camping to save some money. We are currently in Arizona staying at a campground the last 2 months for $450 a month which leaves us nothing extra for some much needed repairs. We do have a generator we can use until we can afford solar but gas for it for the month would be as much, if not more, than the campground. So any suggestions where to go in Apache or Navajo counties in Arizona for dispersed camping would be welcome as would any other suggestions.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

Hey WV mom welcome to the forum. I got excited when I saw WV because I assumed you were in West Virginia. I hope you’re enjoying Arizona and I can totally identify with your financial struggle to get what you need. It seems there’s money that needs to be spent so that you don’t need to spend money. That’s sort of the way it is with this van life or camper life. I too am disabled and what little family I have think I’m crazy for wanting to live the way I do. I’ve already tried to personal care home type thing for 1 year, this living in the woods and on the road is so much better. I wish I could help in someway. I’m having some solar problems myself, I need to get it checked out because I’m beyond my understanding of it. I’m not trying to pry into what you believe, that’s up to you, but I am a believer in prayer just said one for you and they’ll be more coming. Take care of yourself and those beautiful Young ones. Have you contacted HOWA Regarding advice and/or actual help? It sounds like you might be in a situation that they can help with.

rvwandering said:
Welcome wvmom! Apache or Navajo counties are in the heart of the Navajo and Hopi Nations so dispersed camping is limited. You'll do much better if you head west or south to forest and BLM lands.

Here are a few links for free camping sites:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Arizona&query=region

https://www.campendium.com/arizona/...:-111.63963317871094,"lat":35.18896118878993}

http://ioverlander.com/
Thank you. We are planning on heading further west but just taking our time. One of my sons wants to go to California for a bit to check off some bucket list items. Then we will probably head to SD to check off some of mine. Then eventually back to western AZ for the winter.

landyachtman said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Thank you

nature lover said:
Hey WV mom welcome to the forum. I got excited when I saw WV because I assumed you were in West Virginia.  I hope you’re enjoying Arizona and I can totally identify with your financial struggle to get what you need. It seems there’s money that needs to be spent so that you don’t need to spend money. That’s sort of the way it is with this van life or camper life. I too am disabled and what little family I have think I’m crazy for wanting to live the way I do. I’ve already tried to personal care home type thing for 1 year, this living in the woods and on the road is so much better.  I wish I could help in someway.  I’m having some solar problems myself, I need to get it checked out because I’m beyond my understanding of it.  I’m not trying to pry into what you believe, that’s up to you, but I am a believer in prayer just said one for you and they’ll be more coming. Take care of yourself and those beautiful Young ones.  Have you contacted HOWA Regarding advice and/or actual help? It sounds like you might be in a situation that they can help with.
Thank you for the prayer. I do appreciate it. Are you in WV? We probably won’t head back there until spring to visit family. After getting a massive amount of pain relief from heading south and then further west I don’t really want to go back and I won’t ever do winter there again unless I have no other choice. I hope you get your solar fixed. I’ll be keeping you in my prayers.

WV- i’m in south-central Pennsylvania and it’s where the mountains make Pennsylvania look like parts of West Virginia. I lived in Fulton County Pennsylvania for a while my wife came from there. That might as well be in West Virginia, Maryland is only a mile wide there so you go from Pennsylvania thru Maryland in a few minutes and you’re in West Virginia near Berkeley Springs. In fact where I’m at now I’m about 55 miles from West Virginia. I just love mountains with hardwood forest they smell so good and are so cool during the summer. With my walking problems hills are difficult to navigate, so my winter in Florida was nice without hills but I do love the mountains. So I’m an East Coast Snowbird Florida in the winter Pennsylvania in the spring and early summer and I’m hoping for Maine in the heat of the summer with a couple trips to East Kentucky fit in there somewhere. I hope you find what you are seeking.