New to site, new to idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinaBrother1943

Reaction score
Hello All:

I stumbled across this message board while I was looking at Class B motorhome Sprinters on YouTube and anywhere else.  I am completely new to this idea of a motorhome.  I have never been camping or even in a motorhome.  I am completely novice at this experience.  What I like is the idea of taking a road trip and not having to stop for bathroom breaks, walking around, eating, etc.

As with much of anyone out there, I would like the best deal I can get. I saw a YouTube video from Civ Div:

This is a totally awesome build and there are many (almost all things) I would like in mine.  I may alter a few things because I am not the average (or new, or experienced) camper.  I may get into camping but the main thing is to use for long weekends and vacations.

Are there any ideas out there of ways to create your own?  Or to re-create one like this?  Additionally, I would like to build this over time, meaning I would like to start with the basics such as the van and a bathroom and then add things on here and there as I save up for these changes.

Also, I am not a building either!  I see Civ Div and he had a great helper in his father.  I would be great working with someone who knows something.  I suppose I can hire someone but as stated, I don't necessarily want to do this all at one time.

Any thoughts?  Anyone in the same situation like me?  Thanks.

NB1943

There must be eleventy-billion youtube vids out there on this subject, ranging from the "no-build" build approach to elaborate modifications that cost more than the original vehicle.

You might start by searching youtube for "cheaprvliving".

Welcome to a universe of possibility.

I started out in a cargo trailer I converted into a toyhauler my long term goal was to buy a motorhome and pull the trailer.
recently I had a hard time deciding on a used van and convert it or buy a used motorhome.
I finally decided to buy the used motorhome it has a better set up than you could do with a van.
 believe me I built a cargo trailer and it cost more than you expect especially if you have to buy all the tools you will need, which tools are good to have but still.
the motorhome is ready to go just get in it a start traveling the van wouldn't be that easy.
I don't think people new to this lifestyle realize it's not as easy as it looks on the youtube channels.
it's just my opinion but converted vans and cargo trailers is like camping being in a motorhome is like living in a mobile apartment ? I have done both and wish I would have bought the motorhome from the start.

Welcome.

In our younger days, we traveled a LOT in a van (put 250K on a '77 Dodge shorty). I am handy with tools so not a big deal to put in what we wanted. Too much work and not being able to buy in bulk for discounts pushed me into an already converted class B now that we were older. A lot better for being self contained and cheaper to boot. It took me almost a year to find exactly what I was looking for.

I would suggest going to RV places and look. Nothing like seeing them in real life compared to the internet.

Check the Sprinters for troubles with the turbo's and getting repairs on the road.

Welcome to the CRVL forums NB1943! Civ Div's build is excellent but it will be hard to recreate without the expertise of a carpenter father, woodworking tools and skills, and what I am assuming was an accumulated store of available and free bits and pieces of hardware and wood. The total cost of only $6,000 is amazing.

Since you are completely inexperienced buying a used class B may be a good idea so that you can see if you like traveling in a van. Class Bs hold their value and if you decide you need something bigger or customized you can sell it without taking a big loss.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks all for the advice. Taking my time and getting a van already complete is probably the best option. Patience is a virtue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :)

Wow !   I think anyone would enjoy having that or something close.  I notice he remarked about wishing he had AC.  I'm sure he could mount one in a rear window by the bed.  A very small one would be adequate. 

But if you don't have a Dad, Uncle, or friends with the skills to put something together like that you may as well buy an RV.  (my guess/opinion)
Back in the late 60's early 70's when the Van craze was blooming and I was getting in on it,  there were numerous small shops opening and building
Vans out to sell.  In the Van magazines there were template patterns with photos and instructions for paneling the walls and ceiling and carpeting the floor so you could set up a bed and cabinets.  In these times those with the skills may find a lucrative business in setting these things up.  If you had a used car dealer who could get Vans sold off from fleets (where they are retiring them) then they could be converted (on contract) and then the dealer sell them at the lot.  The demand for these outfits seems to be growing each year now.

Glen-L  is about the last plan seller I know of.  They are Boat Builder plan sellers but also have plans for building all kinds of RV's

Glen-L Van Conversion Plans $22