new tiny house in the mountains....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......and I just found a bunch of huge old windows for 5$ apiece! They are single pane (not insulated) but the are big and will fit in the knee wall that makes up the raised back half of the wall. I think I will install 4 of them for a wide open feel to the loft and the living area. As these do not open i will have to come up with another idea for a high vent for the summertime. The money I will save on windows can pay for a 2 way skylight maybe!

<p style="margin: 0px;">DJ,</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I don't think I would go for a skylight ... just one more place for a leak.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob</p>

I know....I just envision myself staring up at the stars at night (it is pitch black where I live). I think if do install a skylight it will be a store bought model with a no leak guarantee. Although the windows are single pane I am going to use them due to budget constraints. This winter I will have to cover them with plastic but they will still let in light and open the space up. I plan to use 4 windows across the back wall leaving me with one extra which I may install where the future bathroom will be. I am also thinking about my electrical options. I would like to use a completely 12v system with a 110v/gen-set charging system. I am looking at RV/Van reading lights like those in my van and running low voltage wire to hook them up to a central battery bank. I think a double lamp in the kitchen over the stove, a double lamp over the sink, a single in the loft over the bed and a couple of singles in the living room would provide enough light. I have a bunch of left over in-wall wire from the outpost build. I think these little recessed lights would be cool and they all have an on/off switch at the fixture reducing the amount of wire I would need to run. I need to think about this now before I insulate and drywall...hmmmmmmmmm

Just wanted to mention I'm enjoying the blog

minor set backs.....<div>I managed to break 2 of the 5 windows as I was framing them into boxes. My original plan was 3 windows across the back upper wall but when I found the set of 5 I decided that I needed 4 across the back. So I am now back to my original plan. 2 of the 3 are hinged at the top (or will be when I am finished) with piano hinges so they can be cracked in the summer. The middle one is fixed. All the boxes are done. I filled the cracks and when that dries I will sand and paint and then caulk. Hopefully I can get a coat of paint on tomorrow. I will post pics on the blog soon. I had another setback with the sliding glass door....just a delay but I should get it this weekend and frame it out then. Then it's just exterior sheeting and that sucker is dried in. I have to come up with a plan to run my stove pipe through the roof safely. They do not make kits for my small diameter stove pipe so I will have to improvise. Be a shame to burn down my new house!</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Hey Bob144</p><p style="margin: 0px;">When you have a minute, go to your blog preferences and enable Anonymous as a type choice so I can comment.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks, </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Bob&nbsp; (aka stude53)</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">...So the end result of this project will hopefully be an off grid cabin on a few acres of land. I have been thinking about the electrical system a good deal (as I pick away at the rest of it) and I have decided that the house will have to be wired for 12v. I cannot stand exposed wires and extension cords so this means in-wall wiring. Today I went to the junk yard (a mile away) and grabbed 5 12v conversion van reading lights. 4 are single lamp and 1 is a double. These will be placed throughout the cabin. The double over the stove, a single over the bed, 2 singles in the living area and a single someplace else. I intend to use in-wall wiring (safety first) so I can re-wire to 110v if it ever comes to that. I have these same lights in my van and they are plenty bright in a small space. I plan to augment the lighting with some oil lamps (which I love). I also got a small card table for the vandaminium that holds 4 glasses!s</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Also, at the same junk yard, I found an old pop-up with a 10 gallon water tank (rectangle with all the fittings) and a 3 burner propane stove. I am headed out now to strip them out. There is a sink with a hand pump too but the color is pretty awful (matches the stove but I can paint that) so I don't know. maybe I will grab it.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp; &nbsp;So I today I am getting the following...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">5 12v RV reading light fixtures</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 10 gallon RV water tank with fittings</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 3 burner surface mount propane stove</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1 sink with hand pump</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">All for $30. needless to say I am excited!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Wiring the lights will have to happen before drywall but in the end it will be worth the added expense!</p>

<p>....and a pop up electical service which I need to figure out.</p>

<P>Just joined your blog. Old guy in the red coat.&nbsp; Keep up the good work.</P>

I really like what you're doing and hope to someday do the same on my piece of land. Although I think I might incorporate my trailer as part of the house like I saw some lady did with hers. It was a pretty sweet setup!<div><br></div>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); ">stude53, i found it been looking for a week you can post now thanz &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;</span><a href="http://bornybornschein.blogspot.com/" target="_blank">http://bornybornschein.blogspot.com/</a>

...did a little painting on the windows today. Not much. The weather was pretty lousy today. I did buy piano hinges and weather stripping for the windows. Tomorrow I am going to frame those out and finish painting/assembling them (hopefully). I am running out of time before I have to go to Cincinatti and I am not even close to having the shack dried in. I need money!!!!! Oh well. I'll get there!

The sliding door is in!! I wound up just buying one as I was headed out of town and really wanted it in before I left. The stove came to Cincy with me and it is plumbed and working off a 20 lb tank. pics are up on the blog...enjoy.<div><br></div><div>And HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!</div>

<P>Another video from tinyhouses.com thru wilderness return<BR>Don't think I had seen this one.<BR>This video is inspiring to me, Jay says he had no building experience and was a grocery clerk. He has made a business of building small houses for other people now.&nbsp; Hmmm? Blkjak, want to go into business, I can market and decorate. Good at painting and stining too.</P><BR><A href="http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-jay-shafer-20910192" target=_blank target=_blank>http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-second-act-jay-shafer-20910192</A><BR><BR>