New SUV Dweller @ 61

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Scared to death. Had a nice NM home that ex somehow got. Lived in neighbors old mobile for years, lost that. Went to live with family in another state, disaster. Temporarily in a camper, and if nothing comes up (doesn't look good right now), will be in my old 4runner. Ssi gives great medical, but not enough to live on like a "normal" person, not too mention, tracks you like a bloodhound. I've been watching Bob's videos, and now reading these forums. I do have some medical issues, but have been dealing with them as things arise. Was quite ill due to bad infection 2 years ago, but continue to mend. I was great at living alone, until, it seems I will be doing it for a time in an SUV, and possibly tent. I have a dog, and 2 cats that I miss horribly, but are being well taken care of by others while I transition once again. I am so tired.  Just want to settle back to the peaceful life I had in my home with my pets. I hate having to depend on others, and frankly getting tired of always being in need. I actually am a handy person, having redone some plumbing, painting, landscaping and a little electrical  (ceiling fans/lights)myself, and am certainly willing and able to learn what I need. But I am already a person who deals with anxiety,  and all this shuffling around with little peace is very much getting to me. I recently watched a video with a 69 year young woman who lives in Columbus NM. Would love to hear from/meet up with some in the southern NM area to get some moral support, ideas, friendship, as I  take my first steps. Living near the White Sands (NM) area. Thanks for reading.

Hi Highdesertdweller and welcome. Real sorry to hear about your troubles. I wish you the best with everything you're up against. Don't give up, just keep trying.

Welcome Highdesertdweller to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. I like your screen name. highdesertranger

Hang in there. You can really do anything if you take tiny turtle steps forward.
It's okay to ask for help. If I can thrive - it's possible for you! (Or anyone)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I love Lesa'a attitude ("If I can thrive"). You are not just surviving....but thriving! More things are possible in a tiny house on wheels.

Wherever you travel in your RV lifestyle you will be meeting seniors who can relate to what you are going through. But sometimes you will need to be the one who has to offer a cup of coffee at the campfire ring as a good place to exchange stories, but be sure there is a mix of more happy and funny tales to laugh at than sad tales so that everyone leaves with their spirits high at the end of the gab fest. That sets the mood for happy dreams and waking up with a smile on your face.

Thanks all for your words of encouragement. It means a lot. I am so happy to have found Bob's videos and this site. A quote from North Country comes to mind when Charlize Theron says "I don't know if I have another start over in me." Just tired of putting out fires all the time. But I see so many have gone through so much, and they are making it one step at a time. I had actually thought about this lifestyle, but when I was mulling it over, it was a choice and I had resources and some money, so it was a little more "glamorous " so to speaking in my mind. Not very little money and less resources, and thrown into it because there was no alternative. What I'm most afraid of, is taking that big plunge, which will be in a month (barring something coming up). One of my biggest concerns have been where to park. Might seem strange as there are millions of acres of unspoiled land here. Well anyway, thanks for the responses, and I will be reading the tips for starting out.