New old guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappys Dash

Reaction score
I just registered after lurking on here for some time. I'm in the planning/research stage of retiring on the road and I'm amazed at the wealth of information here. After reading post after post on everything I was wondering about, it seems like one big happy family here.

Welcome!! We are a big Family, but like all families we do have our occasional squabbles, but overall a great group of people. You are going to fit right in!! You have to decide for yourself if that is a compliment or insult! :p

We love questions, how can we help you?
Bob

Welcome Pappy. Thats a mountain name and a good one. Hope you get started on your travel plans soon. I shoild pull out on my firdt boondocking rv trip in March.

Hi Pappy, welcome to the family from north Florida. What part of the country do you call home? What type of rig do you like ? Any hobbies for on the road? Duane

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I guess I'll try to respond a bit.
From what I've read on this forum I would take to fitting in to be a compliment.
The name Pappy came from my daughter and a few of her friends, the Dash is from a quote on a headstone. I'll explain that one if you're interested.
I'm from the suburbs of Philadelphia. Don't have a rig yet, leaning towards converting a cargo trailer. I like the teardrops but for the amount of time I intend to spend in it I would like to be able to stand up to put on my pants. I still have a daughter at home(in college) so I'm not sure on the timeframe when I'll be able to pack it in yet.
No real hobbies planned but I would like to spend some time working with Habitat for Humanity and their RV group working on some houses for people throughout the country.

Pappy, Can you tell us more about the RV group at Habitat for Humanity ? It sounds like something some of us here would like to do in our travels. Duane

signman said:
Pappy, Can you tell us more about the RV group at Habitat for Humanity ? It sounds like something some of us here would like to do in our travels. Duane
I don't know all there is about the program but if you google "RV Care-A-Van" you can get the information.
You volunteer for a build for 2 weeks at a time. They have builds all across the country. Some builds your site cost is 0, some builds have small site fees. The amenities at the sites vary from dry sites to full hookups.
I think it would be a cool way to travel the country and do some good for someone and give something back. Also probably get to meet some great people along the way.

Thanks Pappy D, I Googled that and found the info. That does look like something a lot of us would like to get involved with. It would be something to do, a place to stay with out having to stealth, a way to recharge house batteries, dump holding tanks, take showers. All the sites may not have all the amenities, but we can deal with that. Sounds like a great way to help those that appreciate it, a win-win situation.

Welcome pappy, a cargo trailer is s sound choice if you already have something to pull it. . . Or not! Depending on your financial circumstances. Any thing will work really; even a car I guess.

Gus,
When the time comes I will be changing from a regular stick home to a mobile home, or should I say a home that is mobile, so I will be getting something to tow with. Right now my current job comes with a company vehicle so when I retire I have to buy something anyway so I might as well buy something to suit my needs at that time.