New Member With a Camper Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guidecca

Reaction score
Hello everybody.  My name is George.  I live in Virginia Beach.  We bought a 2007 Ford Econoline E250 that had been modified with a new fiberglass top.  The previous owner was a longshoreman who had installed a bed frame of PVC and a mattress to use at his job site when waiting for ships and jobs.  We will install four solar panels on the top with a Vantech H1 ladder rack and custom-made aluminum frame.  We are having problems getting the uprights to fit into the drip rails because of their shape and the fiberglass top is blocking things.  We have most of the components for our solar-powered system which was an exercise in patience.  We have been watching Bob's videos and following anyone who knows anything about solar power on YouTube.  We have a daughter in Los Angeles and will likely drive U.S. 40 till we get there.  Wish we had started out earlier in the year but we will be lucky to get to Cali before Christmas.  Look forward to camping and possibly meeting you out there in beautiful America.

Welcome to the forum, George. If you're crossing the country this time of the year, you can always swing south to I-20 and I-10 and miss the colder weather. I-40 hits some higher elevations like 7,000' at Flagstaff, but I-10 will take you right through Quartzsite, which is CRVL "heaven", and on into LA. You may grow fond of the southwestern desert like a lot of us, :).

Qxxx said:
Welcome to the forum, George. If you're crossing the country this time of the year, you can always swing south to I-20 and I-10 and miss the colder weather. I-40 hits some higher elevations like 7,000' at Flagstaff, but I-10 will take you right through Quartzsite, which is CRVL "heaven", and on into LA. You may grow fond of the southwestern desert like a lot of us, :).

Thanks a lot.  We crossed country in a Ryder truck from Monterey, CA in 1991 to arrive in Norfolk, VA at my new duty station.  My wife is from Rapid City, SD and my daughter was born on Ellsworth AFB.

Welcome to the forum George and thank you for your service. It’s a shame that that’s becoming a cliché but I mean it. Sounds like an enjoyable trip to me but the southern route at this time of year is always best. God bless the nomads northern and southern.