new law push by Housing and Urban devlempment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molonewolf

Reaction score
Hello every one. I do not exactly know how this will affect all people living mobile. I ran across this information today and wanted to just put this out for FYI. It seems like they are trying to crack down on the Tiny house people and RV dwellers. As I said I have not got to dig into this deeper yet. Here is where you can go get some more info https://www.regulations.gov/#!docketD. on what the folks at HUD are pushing for. Happy travels to all and stay safe out there my friends.

Sounds good to me.If I were buying a mfg trailer(mobile home)or modular home to live in,I would certainly want it to meet some minimal standards.

Thing is, if a tiny house is on wheels, and is registered as a trailer, HUD and the building department have no jurisdiction as it's technically not a house, its a vehicle. Where you park it might get zoning involved, but that's it. The same applies to vans, motorhomes, travel trailers, etc. The HUD regulations apply to "mobile homes" which are manufactured as housing and not intended to be moved often, if at all once set up.

You might look to RVIA for recreational vehicle standards, but RVIA is strictly a voluntary industry organization, not a government agency. Tumbleweed Tiny homes, for one has gone the RVIA certification route, and they are at the forefront of the push for having all tiny home manufactures work toward some standard. I have mixed feelings about that. It does help to legitimize the movement, which can help more communities be more accepting of them. But it will also drive up the costs defeating one of the primary original goals of providing alternative housing that is more economically and environmentally responsible. Similar goals to why many people become van dwellers.

Jay who started Tumbleweed and really got the movement to the forefront, is also all about the money now and has lost sight of the TH movement. On top of that his floor plans are about style of substance... many are fluff with poor layouts, and he avoids slanted shed roofs which offer better loft headroom... oh yeah, and very expensive too!

Hi all, I stumbled across this video by chance, and since this would affect most of us here, I thought I had better post it here to see what you folk think of this?
I personally hope this guy is wrong about this, but he seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
If anybody has more information about this, please post it.

This is the FOURTH posting of that garbage.  

It is a non issue designed to be click bait for the commercialization of that guys Youtube channel.

This makes 5 threads on this non issue. :dodgy:

GotSmart said:
This is the FOURTH posting of that garbage.  

It is a non issue designed to be click bait for the commercialization of that guys Youtube channel.

So there is nothing to worry about?

This has to do with which government agency is going to write the building standards for what kind of prefab unit. 

Nobody is going to come knocking on your door asking to inspect the mattress tags.  (Same idea)

Much ado about nothing. It's just more fear, uncertainty and doubt put out by people to get attention and make money for themselves.

Ignore it and them.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Much ado about nothing...and make money for themselves...

Totally.
When I really want to get things done on the net I switch of my java-script or simply read the page in something like "Pocket" without all the ads and garbage yelling out for our attention.
: ) Thom