New Kids Meet and Greet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxie134

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

A few of us have met during a comment section on one of Bob's Videos (the new one with the interview of the ladies) and got to talking about going to RTR , travel in general , and being new travelers etc etc etc.  But I was thinking it might be fun if some of us new kids who may have a little apprehension about going to RTR alone, might be able to have a meet up ahead of time and then maybe go to the RTR (or not) together.  So if anyone is interested,  lets talk and get to know each other and see what (if anything) happens!  It might be fun!
First off, I will introduce myself by saying Roxie is my dog, my real name is Mary and I am from Maryland.  Just getting started on this new lifestyle.  Retired almost 2 years now and bought a class B to do some traveling.  Right now, I am trying to empty my house and get things in gear so I can leave here by October and travel my way out to the RTR in January.  Anybody else that is thinking about heading to the RTR this year or just wanting to meet other travelers   it might be fun!!    Say hello and lets get some conversations started.

Mary B

Hi I am Janet. My family has been van dwelling for only a few days. We are in the Flagstaff area now, from Arkansas. I chose the name Serenity because I like to live a serene life. Would love to meet some others, new to the life or pro's who could give advice.

Hi Janet
Good to meet a new traveler!   At least you are with your family, so you are not alone out there!  Are you planning on going to the RTR in January or is that still too far off for plans yet!   No matter, it might be fun if we could get a group together on here and have some conversations about how we are doing and what we want to do and all the things that like minded people can think of to talk about!   And who knows, maybe some of us will be able to meet up and check out the RTR together

Yes we are planning on going to the RTR and hoping to do a lot of traveling. I've always had a little bit of a Wandering spirit. For years people told me I was not stable. I guess I'm just kind of anxious to meet other people who also like to wander. My family consists of myself, my husband, and two adult children plus 1 dog and 1 cat.

Hey Mary! Welcome! I'll be going to the RTR from Missouri. I still have another year (at least) to work before I go full time, so will just be taking a couple of weeks off and going down and back... I got to meet a couple of new forum members this weekend while one had her solar installed and it was a great time! Initial fear of meeting new people goes away quickly with this bunch!!

Sounds like you have a full house and will not have the problem of being lonely!   I hope we can meet up and spend some time together!  Hopefully we will get a few more people to add to our group!   I think the thing that surprised me most when I finally made the decision to do this, was that there are so many of us!!!!!   Please keep us updated about your travels and let us know about good spots you find.   Take care of yourselves and enjoy!

Hi my read name is Sarah and I have 35 months before I retire. I have been active on the forums for a while. I am uncertain what rig I am going to buy and unfortunately I don't think I can get the time off work to make it to this years RTR. I will be fulltiming either alone or with my handicapped sister. I must admit i am a little nervous about full timing but I am determined. I would love to talk to other people who are a little bit ahead of me on the path.

Hello ladies, ya'll gonna travel out west huh?

Can a man volunteer to lead this here wagon train way out yonder?

My horse and wagon should be hitched up by then....

:D

[video=youtube]

Ha Ha Wagon Train!   Still comes on tv every morning around here!  Brian, I have no idea if we need a wagon master, but we sure can use as many people as we can get.  As far as I am concerned the more the merrier!  And Sarah, I feel for you,  once I retired I couldn't believe I lasted that long, but at least you are already out there having a good time.  Would love to meet up with you at the RTR or before if you can make it.  Maybe between all of us in the group we could figure out where to  circle the wagons and have a good time!

roxie134 said:
Ha Ha Wagon Train!   

{snip}

Maybe between all of us in the group we could figure out where to  circle the wagons and have a good time!

And avoid all those pesky incoming arrows!!!

:dodgy:

roxie134 said:
Hi Everybody!
 Mary B

Mary get you some personal defense spray and a bean shooter 22lr will usually do, a size 14 pair of work boots a tent and flip flops to make it look like kids are sleeping in the tent. Oh even if you have a Chihuahua get a HUGE DOG dual bowl for water and food fill the water leave the food empty. What you do is leave all that out your door when you park and maybe a few spent shotgun shells and I assure you anybody in their right mind would make DAMN sure they announced their presence prior to going any further. Don't have to buy this stuff new next time you go to a thrift store you want to grab these things. Shot gun shells are easy to find you might find them at a thrift store too or u can go to a shooting range and they should have a few, in the south we really have plenty of shells to go around. Doesn't hurt to have a motion sensor light too.  

Once you get to the RTR you will see that you are pretty safe. Some open carry the place is not where you find trouble and if it brews something tells me that is not a wise course of action. 

Just make sure you bring a way to haul your trash out get some good thick trash bags because anything you make needs to come out.

Thanks for all the good advice, but the safety issue is actually the least of my concerns.  It's all the stuff you have to figure out about life in general at the RTR.  How do you decide the where the best place to camp is, what is the best time to do this or that, do you bring your own firewood, doesn't look like you can gather any out in the desert.  I am used to east coast mountains where you go camping and spend an hour dragging firewood to your site and having enough wood to last a month.  All the little mundane stuff that you guys from the west already know about and so many of us new kids have no clue.  I am sure if you are in a group then there are plenty of people around to help you if you have questions, but if you want to be out by yourself then how far do you have to walk or drive to find the answers to all your questions!   AAAACK!!  Sometimes it is all too much for my brain,  usually I just go by the seat of my pants and everything works out fine, not sure why this decision to go to the RTR has got me rattled.   I guess cause all the videos, it looks like a big private party and as a new kid you always worry whether you will find a friend!

The RTR is totally cool. It is the most social group of recluses you will meet lol.  I wandered around every day talking to people I just met and had a great time. There was only 1 really antisocial person that I met there, and they left early.  You will meet great friends there, and probably find some to hang with after it is over.

I think I will try it again, going from southern Florida.

Buy your firewood in the State in which you burn it.

It would be kewl imo to have a number on the name badge as to how many years you've attended (give or take)... we can write it on ourselves perhaps, so others know to be keepers? ::D It will help us also know who to ask (those with big numbers hahaha).