New guy wants to talk about the bed now.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
I would have preferred a bed that does not convert from a sofa but after taking actual measurements (never trust what you read online) we have decided that now a convertible bed/ sofa is a better idea.

My questions are simple: 

Which memory foam mattresses can be cut in half without too much trouble?

Best way to cut the foam?

I have read many opinions online and many are different.  If it matters our plans are to use a short queen 10" mattress.

Thank you if you can help.

X2 on Military Supply.

that's what I have
you can get a standard size mattress or any custom size you can think of.

but to your questions,
an electric carving knife is the best for cutting. sometimes you can pick them up cheap at a thrift store.
I have no idea what is the best one for DIY.

highdesertranger

The Black&Decker electric knife that Walmart sells for ~$15 works great on foam. It's also great for slicing bread.

catalekid said:
I have always used my 14" very sharp fillet knife. I sandwich the foam between two  8' 2x4's and clamp each end down tight and squeeze the foam thin and simply follow the edge,  makes a nice smooth cut. I will admit I have done this up to 6" thick. I have not done one 10" thick. In my 6x12 build that I am doing now, I am continuing what I always do for a bed. I fab the bed frame in two pieces, lets say my xl that is 39x80.  8x80 inches of the frame will be fixed to the wall, the other 31x80 will be hinged to it and will have 5 simple fold down legs. (2x2's on a hinge"   The whole thing folds up and sandwiches the bed and bedding in the 8" gap, it does not "fold" the mattress, it simply stands it  up on edge. Now latch the bed up with a 1" strap and snap hook. I want it fast up and down with no deterrent for taking a quick cat knap. Down in 3 seconds, up in 4.

abnorm said:
...Military Supply will make a custom mattress(s) to your specs...
Thanks! I've been trying to remember these guys. A friend has built a camper with an odd sized bed platform and has been struggling with making a mattress from layers of 3" foam. I wanted to recommend this outfit as an option. The prices are WAY better than others I found -- mostly marine applications.

The correct spelling is $$Marine$$   Use dollar signs instead of quotation marks.

Abnorm and HRD could you please let’s us know which specific mattresses you use from the military supply? In addition it would be nice to know why that type, size, density, etc. was chosen.

dang a test.

let see if I can remember because I don't have the paper work. I got 5 inches of the high density foam and a 2 inch memory foam topper that is part of the mattress sewn right in for a total of 7 inches. the outer material is bamboo. the mattress can be flipped so you can use either side but only one side has the memory foam. if you are unsure give them a call and they will walk you through the process of selecting what's good for you.

the length and width is up to you. I got a full size so I could use regular off the shelf sheets.

highdesertranger

You CALL and  talk to James Frei ......the owner....at MilitarySupply.......310-704-9055

We ordered ours in the Spring of this year......during Covid....when he had some disruptions in his Foam supply chain

We ordered a rather firm 7" mattress with 2" topper........a trimmed FULL mattress because I need to lift it to access the batteries.......Jim talked us thru the process and designed what we needed............So many options

#3yrfeet.jpg
Damn they sew it all together so nice !

They are in L.A. and ship the plastic wrapped mattress rolled in a tight bundle......about 18" diameter x 54" long (width of the mattress) FedEx

Full mattress & shipped to Kentucky...........about $400

And tell him you saw it at CRVL

Attachments

• #3yrfeet.jpg
    #3yrfeet.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 16
catalekid said:
Which memory foam mattresses can be cut in half without too much trouble?
Some mem foam matts have a kind of "gel" fill- you don't want to cut those. Any of the solid types should cut easily with an electric knife or just a plain, long, serrated knife. Many seem to use a few inches of high-density foam, with a few inches of mem foam glued on top of that.

What about a futon style mattress? Those are designed to fold in the middle.

Comfy?...well not really, but you could add a foam topper.

Wish I had seen those  a few months ago. Would have been perfect for me. Thanks for sharing... now I know for the second build out.

Sorry you didn't see it earlier then.

My general rule is never build anything I can buy at a reasonable price for at a quality level at least equal to or better than what I can do myself.

You can buy all kinds of foams in a fabric or upholstery store, and they will cut to your specifications. I'm not sure how expensive that would be for a mattress-sized piece.

I have used this foam mattress supplier for a number of van/trailer builds:

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/mattress/conventional.html

The 6" HD36 Regular foam mattress works best for me. It is soft enough that there is no pressure on my hips and shoulders, but firm enough that you don't sink into the mattress much. I have used it on a metal bedframe with wire grid underneath, and on plywood, both work fine.

You can get it cut to the size you need. It gets wrapped in a plastic bag and then the air is sucked out, so it can be shipped by UPS or FEDEX (I don't remember which company did the shipping). Shipping is free above a certain purchase price level ($75?).

In the 6" HD36 Regular foam type, it costs $108 cut to cot size (30"x75"). A standard twin size (39"x75") is $86, so if you can use a standard size it is cheaper.

Thanks for sharing. The foam mattress topper is a nice idea to keep it comfy

I tried a foam mattress on a platform bed and it just didn't feel right.  I need a firm mattress but with some flex, so I went old school and made a rope bed frame.  I added an egg crate foam mattress directly on the ropes and then a futon mattress.  Since I could fold it, it doubles as a back rest....much like a couch.

van.jpg

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 13