New guy here.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking these forums and finally have decided to join. Looking to gain tips, tricks, and advice for a cross country trip planned 8 months from now. Just wanted to say hello!

Welcome!

What kind of trip do you want to do? Do you have a vehicle yet?

Thank you! 90 day Cross Country United States. My friend and I have been toying with the idea for years and recently hosted a friend from Belgium who did months on the road in a camper van to visit the US. His visit got the fire started and now I am looking for all sorts of information. Still looking for a vehicle but want a high top van (I'm 6'2)or something similar. Want to do this trip low budget so I'm not looking for a traditional camper van.

Well, we specialize in low budgets around here, so you came to the right place! :D

What kind of amenities are you planning on? Power is a biggie, as are refrigeration, cooking and potty facilities. Will it be just you, or you and your friend?

Best of luck to you, it sounds like this will be a great trip!

Hi Y&S,

Welcome from north Florida, Don't be afraid to ask any questions you want, someone here will help.

Once that fire gets lit it's hard to put out. We are very good at working with budgets.

Duane

Hi everyone!
Glad to know that everyone is so eager to help! This is great considering I am from South Florida myself. Duane, glad to know budgets are of great consideration as I am all about cost per dollar! Florida, low salaries and high cost of living! Thank you blkjak! Unchained: The trip will be taken by myself and a friend, just the two of us, no more. Amenities are a shower, chemical toilet, simple coleman 2 burner stove, sink, two beds that can convert to a single if needed. (lady friend) I've considered two options; Panel van that I fit out myself with the basic needs or a camper van already fitted such as a Falcon persay. Looking to spend 5k or less on a van plus modifications. I see that it can be done but am I being unrealistic? I am new to this so advice is greatly appreciated. The purpose of the trip is to explore the country I was born in and to visit cities/states I've considered moving to. National Parks are a must as I am outdoorsy person and enjoy an active lifestyle. We are both very easy going individuals and already live a "less is more" lifestyle so giving up luxuries is mighty fine. Really considering manual pumps for everything including a shower option. I love this simple van here ---> http://goo.gl/tX81iz
I am unsure if that will be suitable for 90 days but to my beliefs, it will suffice as exploration will be 90% of the trip. Really just need a place to sleep and cook meals at night. Some current questions I have:
1.) I am 6'2. Is it a must to have a high top or an extended van?
2.) What are the best vans for durability and longevity?
3.) Advice related to insurance/AAA style services for 90 days?
4.) Realistic budget? (5k for the van plus mods if need)
5.) Power options, converters, etc... Do I need a fridge? I plan to have lots of canned foods and dry foods. (Planning on losing weight too on this trip, haha!)

This trip has been in my mind for quite some time and I have done research myself but to hear from folks who have "been there, done that" will be of great help. Thanks again everyone!

What happens after the 90 day trip? Do you plan to sell the van?

When are you planning to take this trip--during winter or waiting until nice weather?

The problem with being 6' 2" is that even a high top may not allow you to stand all the way up. Perhaps some posters here have some numbers for high-top heights.

With only a 90 day trip a cooler with ice bags might be an alternative--or not using cooling at all.

The plan is to sell van once returning. I was thinking a cooler with ice bags may be the best route because the majority of our meals will be canned goods and I do plan on packaging together freeze dried, instant, and just add water types of meals to make it simple. Some nights we may splurge and grab some fresh salmon or a prime cut of beef. A cooler with ice would come in handy then. I know that the Yeti Brand manufacturers coolers that are used by field researchers doing ice sampling and climate research in the Artics. Apparently they make a cooler than is insulated that it can keep goods cold for up to 10 days! So, there must be a similar commercial option cooler if I need one. Otherwise its off to goodwill! I'm not to concerned with the height since I will be exploring by bike or by foot by the day and sleeping at night. My lady friend however isn't fond of small spaces and feels the high-top would be more comfortable. Plan is to leave on the first week of August and head West traveling through the midwest, KS, CO, etc... From what I have read, August-Oct is a decent time to be driving through the states. I haven't lived outside of FL in over 10 years and forget what a season is.

YetiandtheSherpa said:

Well, no, of course not. Some of us live in cars. Ultralight backpackers live in 1 to 1.5 man tents. You're not going to be spending your life in your van, it's mainly for sleeping. You want to make sure you can sit down comfortably somehow, to do things like read a book or work with a laptop when the weather is too cold / windy / annoying to do it outside. In my car, that just means I throw a sleeping bag or bag of laundry behind my back, and sit up in the area that I otherwise would sleep. Works fine. Very rarely it gets a hassle from a cop, but it works fine.

Consider that you could be in a bunk bed on a ship, or a submarine, or living on an Arctic research station, or on the International Space Station. That might put "space you need" into perspective. Some people in Tokyo sleep in "coffins" that they rent by the hour.

Couldn't tell you about van costs. My car cost me $100 once upon a time. Put a new battery in it, ran fine for 1.5 years without me doing a thing to it. Didn't even change the oil or antifreeze, I was such a dunce. How well something will run, based on what you paid for it, is pretty random. Eventually I learned how to fix cars, so that car of mine is still my daily driver.

5.) Power options, converters, etc...

A power inverter is useful if you have a deep cycle battery to go with it. If you have a Starter Light Ignition battery, aka standard battery that everyone has in a car if they don't know any better, it is not designed to draw power for very long. You can easily kill it if you try to run your laptop off a power inverter. It is better to find electrical outlets in civilization. If you're not in civilization, since you're doing a van you could try the solar panel route. I've got a car and I've thought the panels were too expensive and bulky to deal with. Electricity in the woods is one of my great unsolved problems. I just switched to urban camping mostly.

Do I need a fridge? I plan to have lots of canned foods and dry foods.

No, you need a cooler. I've been using a Coleman 6-day cooler for 4 years now. It's big and takes up my front passenger seat. To go everywhere, like the middle of National Forests, I would not trade it in. If I was going to do exclusively urban camping, and knew I'd always be near grocery stores, I might trade it in for something smaller. It's still plenty useful having large capacity in an urban setting though. I might get yogurt on sale for $0.49/lb. or something and live on that for a month. Happened last summer in Asheville, there are closeout grocery stores up there.

You can do canned food but don't get too addicted to it, for health reasons. Can linings have Bisphenol-A (BPA) which is an endocrine disruptor. Even small amounts will do bad things to you over time. Nowadays the only reason I do cans is when it's too cold for me to want to bother with cooking. Then I look for canned beans that don't have weird preservatives. Black beans seem to be the ticket, others have EDTA "to preserve color". Stoopid. (Heh, this site blocks the word "stupid". Because the software is stoopid. ;-)

No. I am also 6"2 and I live in a standard SWB Dodge van. If there are two people then a SWB would be abit cramped. You may want instead a LWB extended, or a class-b van.

You can't beat Toyota, unless you need to fix it. Then Toyota gets expensive. Dodge are the cheapest to get parts for when things go wonky, but get crappy MPG. Ultimate longevity would be any van powered by a Toyota 4Y, 22R-xxx, Dodge slant-6, Ford 300-6, AMC 258-6, or GM 250-6. Anything with the word "Cummins" on it is rock solid.

Get AAA. the services are free and if you get the premium.. Then you get 200 miles towing. I like that extra piece of mind!

My van cost me 800. The whole thing start to finish I spent about 1800. I originally budgeted 3000 for just the build. I guess it depends on if you want something ready to go out-of-the-box, or are willing to do some wrenching like I did...

5.) Power options, converters, etc...
Power is always nice to have. Don't bother with solar charging, just wire in a constant duty solenoid and charge right off the vans alternator. Get the largest capacity deep cycle battery you can get (about 120AH) and a 1000watt inverter. That should take care of any electronics and some lighting. OH and replace the dome lights with LED.

6. Do I need a fridge? I plan to have lots of canned foods and dry foods. (Planning on losing weight too on this trip, haha!)
I think a small 12v cooler is a better idea. Much less power required and you don't have to run it all the time. They are super nice for when you have vegetables (I cant do without my veggies!!) and don't want to have more then a day or two's worth at one time.

Thank you all for the replies. Originally my idea was to get a panel van and start from there because I love to create but it seems that a care for running conversion van and some good ol' creativity will do the job. After all, this is a 90 day adventure... for now. After scouring the internet, deep cycle batteries seem to be the best idea as well as being easy to install. Watching videos it seems that I will end up buying an old vanity and using it to install a sink, water storage, etc... and store clothing in plastic bins among other things. Lastly, lighting would be changed to LEDs as suggested (done that in my Miata already) and to buy battery operated LED adhesive lights to smack on the inside.

My answers in Red:

It's just 90 days, Can you live with being uncomfortable for 90 days? Not many high-top vans will be tall enough for you to stand up but the extra height will be much more comfortable.

The van you take to a mechanic and he says it is reliable is the best van. How a van has been treated is much more important that it's reputation so get it checked out first.

It's just 90 days. Use whoever you have now.

$3000 will buy you a good reliable van.
Build a bed from plywood for $50
plastic totes and drawers for organization. $50
Used furniture from thrift store (desk or drawer) $50
Coleman Propane stove and cooler $100
Walmart Marine battery $100
Cable to connect to starting battery $50
Continuous duty solenoid $50
Miscellaneaous $100
Roadpro 12 vot fan $30
Figure $3600. total and spend the rest on gas and entertainment along the way

5.) Power options, converters, etc... Do I need a fridge? I plan to have lots of canned foods and dry foods. (Planning on losing weight too on this trip, haha!)
You are probably going to drive a lot so get a Walmart Marine battery a long cable and wire it as a house battery from the starting battery. Get a continuous duty solenoid and put it in the loop. I would get a cooler because you are going to be in the heat and will want a cold beverage.

Don't over-think this thing!! Go have fun and a wild adventure!! Have you ever gone camping before? Just treat it like an extended camping trip except the van is the tent.

akrvbob! I believe I am overthinking! Way too excited for it! In my teens I grew up as a boyscout so "being prepared" and planning is always on my mind. Thank you for the motivation!

BTW why did you decide you need to do this in a van? If there are 2 of you and you both already own cars, using your existing cars would be far cheaper, even if you both have to spend gas money to get to new locations. Unless the MPG of your cars are really awful, the cars are going to have better MPGs than a lot of vans anyways. When you're in 1 area for a bit you can just send 1 of you out to do the food trip / supplies / etc. so that you don't have to both spend gas to do stuff. You can carpool if you think 1 of your cars is parked somewhere sufficiently safe to leave it for awhile.

Cars are sleepable, don't let perceptions of "needing all that space" fool you. The key is to get the rear area flat so you can sleep on the diagonal. A hatchback makes that trivial. If you have more of a trunk arrangement, often you can just knock out whatever barrier exists between the trunk and the rear seat.

Really for a mere 90 day odyssey I don't see why you'd go to the expense and trouble of buying a new vehicle, especially to turn around and sell it again. From a buy / sell / will you make money perspective, that would make you kind of a sucker more than likely. Unless you know some things about fixing up vans and making them more valuable, which doesn't sound like it if you're asking about van budgets.

bvanevery: My daily driver is a Mazda Miata so there is no way for seats to even recline and its a soft top. The other car is her daily driver but the title is in her moms name and her mom refuses to let that car go for even a 2 hour trip. This upsets me because we are both independent people who are 26 and 24. Bad mother/daughter relationship. I am used to small spaces and prefer less but in the case of this trip we would like a van to feel more comfortable. I know basics about vehicles and maintenance but a van is new to me as I have never owned one. Yes, people travel in their cars but with two persons in one vehicle it would be cramped. If this trip was to be taken by myself I would easily take it in a small pickup with a converted tent/bed/hatch.

Ok I see, but don't rule out station wagons or SUVs. It would depend on the money, the MPG, the condition the vehicle is in. Even a hearse! Really old school station wagons would be kewl for 2 people to sleep in, but the parking footprint in various urban areas could be tough. Might not be any tougher than some vans though, not sure.

A Miata could work for your odyssey if you limited it to National Forest, BLM land type places only for sleeping, and packed mostly in the style of "Ultralight" backpackers. A 1.5 person tent with someone you like takes up very little room and is quick to set up. More is needed for sleeping bags and pads, but still can be pretty small if more money is spent on it. Oh, almost forgot the entire genre of hammocking, which climate permitting is extremely low footprint. Haven't done it myself although I'm aware of some of the issues. Your biggest cargo issue would probably be food.

I'm a cheap bastard and never pay for campsites, ever, so I have the dubious honor of having completed Yellowstone in 1 day. I managed to see 85% of the good stuff I think. The Interagency Pass for $80 (last I looked) is a great deal if you're going to see lots of National Parks and Monuments (like Devil's Tower).

The main thing you wouldn't be able to do is camp in urban areas. But I could totally do a 90 day trip with a SO in all the various wildernesses. This is a big country and there's tons out there.

BLM land works great outside of a town like Cody, WY on the approach to Yellowstone. The temperatures at night are pleasant, unlike some of the higher elevation forests which require modest cold weather gear. At 8 AM though you'll start to fry. So you pack up and leave, go into town, do your thing. On to the next place. You can get maps of NF and BLM land and use them as "motels" so to speak.

In urban areas you could try out the whole genre of Couch Surfing, which I have no experience with. Basically getting people to invite you to their homes for brief stays. Some options to weigh against buying a vehicle that's useless once the trip is over. Your originally stated budget would buy a LOT of higher end camping gear suitable for ultralight, with lots of money left over.

Heck, you might even just park at some trailhead and start walking, once you got the hang of it.