New guy here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proxima

Reaction score
I am not new to van dwelling, but I am new to these forums. I have spent most of my life in Florida, born and raised. I couple of years ago, I've bought an RV and ended up working as a traveling surveyor and lived in Chattanooga, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, and eventually ended up in Seattle where I stayed for over a year. I had to sell the RV at the last minute to return home due to a family illness, and during my time home, I ended up becoming an expediter and lived in a van for 6 months. I was working for a bad owner, and I ended up getting in a hole because of it and now I am back home working for Amazon. That is my story in a nutshell.

Now that I've been home for almost a year, I am itching to go back on the road! Since my girlfriend recently moved to Seattle, I might use this opportunity to go back to the lifestyle and travel more, especially out west.

I do have a goal to buy a sailboat and I thing this is a good transition to switch to a minimalist lifestyle.

Welcome - I've been curious about the expediter job. Not sure I want to do it, as it sounds like it could be stressful. Still, I'd like to know more about how it works. Seattle is a great place to visit... though my OTR truck driving son complains about Seattle traffic, and ... there's a volcano. As pretty as volcanos are (usually, when dormant) I don't want to live near one. I'm east of there, near Coeur d'Alene.

travelaround said:
Welcome - I've been curious about the expediter job. Not sure I want to do it, as it sounds like it could be stressful. Still, I'd like to know more about how it works. 

There were a few good videos on youtube that explained (pretty much) how it worked.

Welcome proxmia to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome Proxima!

I am new here too, although I don't have any experience RVing or van life.

I think this site is a lot of fun, and there are lots of interesting information and comments from members.

See you around!

travelaround said:
Welcome - I've been curious about the expediter job. Not sure I want to do it, as it sounds like it could be stressful. Still, I'd like to know more about how it works. Seattle is a great place to visit... though my OTR truck driving son complains about Seattle traffic, and ... there's a volcano. As pretty as volcanos are (usually, when dormant) I don't want to live near one. I'm east of there, near Coeur d'Alene.

Expediting is not bad, I was able to see much of the country as an expediter, but right now the market is quite flooded. If you own your own transit, promaster, or even a cutaway, you can make a nice living doing it. But if you drive for someone, you do get shafted quite a bit. I'd consider it again if I have my own van. There are plenty of youtube channels on it such as Everything Apax, and Expedites Travels for example. I know both of those guys and they are a wealth of information if you want to do it.

Thanks for the replies re: expediting ... also, for the YouTube channel references!! I'm subscribed to both now. I'm planning to get a Ford Transit. I'm not so sure about working, as I have Social Security. However, it seems wise to be willing as I don't think Social Security will cover all my expenses. Campground hosting could be good, but would ground me for the summer when I might prefer to be traveling.

Question: as an expediter, do you have to be willing to take on all jobs, or can you take a week or two for yourself between projects if you want to?

welcome!

I hope you fill your itch to hit the road and get back out there again!

A sailboat? wow. I don't think I could live on the water but if you are boat baby then go for it....very cool adventures out there on the ocean I would think, a lot of freedom!

best of luck in your endeavors!!