New Car dweller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhondaweasley

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Dawn and I'm a 38 year old female single car-dweller. I hope to get a van, but I gotta keep working for awhile locally to do so. I live in California, so the great thing is that there's a lot of nature accessible to me within a few hours drive on my days off from work. I've used a lot of YouTube to figure out some problems of sleeping in a car, but I really really really want a van. However, I'm a very very long way from getting there I think. Until then I live in the car. There were some debts to clear up before I could really start savings, but I'm feeling good about the next couple months. 

I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon that runs insanely well. I just want it to keep ot trucking until I can afford the van. In the meantime, I bought a camping stove and it totally changed my life. I was a little intimidated cooking in a local park the first time, but knowing I could cook for myself even while living in a car felt totally awesome.

As I sense from many, we creep up on the eventual move to independence and the full van lifestyle. I am still working too but we plan and prepare to get there.
If the car is paid for and runs great, home run!
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

You should find a lot of good information and helpful people on this site.

I'm also a Californian, though I'm more of a road tripper. I travel in my car when time and money permit.

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here.

One thing to keep in mind, your gas mileage on a van will be at least 1/2 of the Toyota car, if it is a daily driver. You might want to hold on to the car, if you possibly can to drive every day. Unless, you are going to be a full time camper.

Best wishes.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dawn! Sounds like you have car dwelling figured out. :) Good luck with your plans and feel free to ask questions about anything!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Riverman said:
Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here.

One thing to keep in mind, your gas mileage on a van will be at least 1/2 of the Toyota car, if it is a daily driver. You might want to hold on to the car, if you possibly can to drive every day. Unless, you are going to be a full time camper.

Best wishes.

Thanks Riverman, if I actually had the time to go out and camp more remotely away from work, then I could carry a tent and maybe get the chance to strech out more often. Also, I want to get rid of my storage unit (even thought right now I have the cheapest one I can find), which with just a car I don't feel comfortable doing. I can break myself down to a van and no storage unit. I do not feel comfy giving up everything to fit in a car (without overcrowding it). 

I also want a bedroom-like space, which I find impossible to do in a car. Since living in the car I drive less, if I have work in San Francisco for several days (I consider Oakland home base, but I have a bunch of temp jobs and one semi-steady part-time gig that takes me all over Northern Cali), then I can stay within a very short mile of radius from work, so I'm not commuting enough just for work purposes that I am afraid of a difference in gas prices. It's still less than rent AND I am paying for a storage unit I hope to get rid of once I have a van. 

And like I said, I just want something more like a bed in the long term and less a leaned back driver's seat where I just go to sleep. If it was an SUV or Hatchback it would be different. I don't really feel like I can set up a place that feels like "home" in a car. Without attracting attention and I get away with sleeping where I sleep by avoiding attracting attention. The good thing about the way it is now is nothing shouts "someone living in here". 

Still, I'll take higher gas mileage for a traveling comfortable bed. I don't want a RV or even a huge van, just something where I can curtain off the back, climb back there and lay down on a bed. 

Also, the plan is to work myself into a financial position where I can travel further, for longer stretches of time. A comfy bed while doing that is something I'll give up my current gas mileage for.