New Canopy Storage Issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I bought this new canopy so I can do stuff outside of my car under some shade. Works great, but I don’t think I like the trade off in how much storage space it takes up. It’s currently stowed in the rear floor well and takes up the complete floor well.

It’s also a two person setup and was a pain to setup myself because I was afraid of bending the frame by applying to much pressure while unfolding it.

Any suggestions for something I can use for shade while I work outside of my car? I don’t plan on sleeping in it, just shade while organizing boxes, cooking, etc, and it easy for one person to setup?
77b2e9735cefc3a0aebb2914e4bbdeb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other problem with EZ-Up type canopies is that they love to sail away in the wind unless they're seriously anchored with something like 18" rebar stakes.

We had a tent like the one you like and it worked great. Folded we used it as a sail on our kayak and once beached threw it out and loaded it with gear as any breeze would blow it away. I would recommend the dark colored tent as less light comes through and ours had a zippered door so we could conceal gear or use it as a change/bathroom room.

MrNoodly said:
The other problem with EZ-Up type canopies is that they love to sail away in the wind unless they're seriously anchored with something like 18" rebar stakes.

Yeah and it’s hard enough anchoring into sand and rocks.

Tie it across the truck/hatch lid somehow? At least until you get a roof rack?

I put our 10 x 10 up alone every summer. For some reason once you get these things spread out, it gets super easy to deal with one leg at a time.

If you're going to use any of these things next to your vehicle, make sure to use bungee cords(easier and faster) or rope (more versatile) to secure two points of the tent to the vehicle.

Attachment points on the tent should be higher in the corners as that's where they are strongest. Good tethering points on a car would be the wheels. You can also use the underside of the boat if it's a strong enough point, mirrors, even the bumpers or interior grab handles.

With canopies and the like it's more about leverage.

I have dealt with any number of canopies and types of them multiple times daily in high winds for the better part of a decade. Anchoring the feet is a smart move if you can.

Securing the high corner points and having downward and outward resistance on those points will save your canopy from bending and breaking.

mdoverl said:
How much space does this take up when stowed?

72" x 72" x 82" (53"x7"x7" packed) from the Amazon link

The dimensions of it stowed in the carry bag are listed right in the information from the Amazon link as is the weight and the dimensions when it is set up. You. Will need to stake it down at the bottom and use guy ropes to hold down the top 4 corners to secure it in place if it is windy.