New California law would protect vandwellers from ticketing and vehicle seizure.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East

Reaction score
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015...-homeless-people-sleeping-in-cars-from-fines/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The California Assembly is advancing legislation to protect homeless people who live in their cars from fines and vehicle impounds.

Local governments could not punish people caught sleeping in cars under AB718. It advanced to the Senate on Monday with a 54-to-12 vote.

Democratic Assemblyman Kansen Chu of San Jose says his bill lifts a burden from Californians who have lost jobs and homes.

The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty says three in four California cities prohibit resting or lodging in cars.

Courts and advocates for the homeless have raised concerns about selective enforcement of the rules. Los Angeles is reconsidering its ban on living in cars after losing a court challenge.

Local government and police groups that oppose AB718 say parking lots aren’t designed for living.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press.

----

TLDR (text of the bill):
This bill would prohibit the legislative body of a city, county, or city and county from prohibiting or otherwise subjecting to civil or criminal penalties, or removing or impounding a motor vehicle by reason of, the act of sleeping or resting in a lawfully parked motor vehicle.

Here is a link to the bill. If you have residency in California or would like to voice your opinion as a general traveler/tourist that spends money in the state find a California senator  here . To be clear this law would put an end to city and county ordinances that hurt vandwellers by prohibiting fines and impoundment for resting or sleeping in a motor vehicle if signed into law. It is currently in the California Senate.

COOL :idea: :exclamation:
Hope that it passes and then spreads nationwide!
Millions of people are living in their vehicles today.

Well, now, property owners can always have people kicked out of their parking lots. But this isn't going to sit well with homeowners who are nervous about strangers parked in front of their houses, watching them come and go. I wonder how it is going to work out.

I'd guess it would be exactly as it is now. People are still living in their vehicles wherever they can legally park on public property, the only difference is law enforcement will not be able to rob people for sleeping. Impounding a vehicle or ticketing someone for sleeping is pretty much robbery. Might as well ticket people for eating in their parked vehicles as well. I think in this case it's even worse because a lot of people in California that do this do so because the real estate market leaves them with no other choice but they need to stay in the same area to hold down their job. In these cases the police are basically taking their last roof away before they can get back on their feet and be where they want to be, which is in an apartment or house. I think that's just wholly unjust.

For me personally I just like freedom to be able to sleep, eat and cook in my private property on a public street that I probably helped pay for. I guess I just value freedom in general. I get so many stories from people much older than me recounting times when nobody would bat an eye if you pulled up and slept in your RV or camper van. Nobody cared, people were more friendly and genuinely curious and open to meet new people. Now everyone is washed with all the horror stories in entertainment and news every day, to the point where it's come to everyone just being completely terrified of any stranger. In an RV? Must be something going on in there similar to Breaking Bad. In a white van? Must be planning something horrific.

I think there's bigger issues in society that won't be fixed by this law, but in the meantime it would be absolutely terrific if we could take a step back in the right direction. There's definitely less heavy handed powers the police could be granted to get people to move along (72 hour rules, etc). I just hope this doesn't get thrown out at the end of the day.

I think its a good thing. They will find a way around it tho, namely "the act of sleeping or resting in a lawfully parked motor vehicle". Just make it so they can't be lawfully parked. Permits to park, short time tables, etc etc. Tho i guess it can help with the whole 'walmart will let you park but cops wont' thing.

VanLifeCrisis said:
I think its a good thing.  They will find a way around it tho, namely "the act of sleeping or resting in a lawfully parked motor vehicle".   Just make it so they can't be lawfully parked.  Permits to park, short time tables, etc etc. Tho i guess it can help with the whole 'walmart will let you park but cops wont' thing.

DG, I don't believe that police or bylaws officers will realistically be *able* to effect 'no overnight parking' regulations. Too many people are ticked off with them already, and noncompliance will be a given shortly, as more and more people are forced into alternative lifestyles because of the devolving geopolitical climate; it isn't only an American 'problem.' There are a lot of us out here already, and soon there will simply be too many for anyone to police.

Besides, the .gov doesn't own anything.

BLM or Crown land in N. America is land set aside for the purpose of its preservation for the people - not the .gov.

City streets and other public ground are there for use by the tax-paying people who fund both its existence and maintenance. Homeowners don't own the sidewalk in front of their homes, let alone the road.

A car/van/tent/trailer/or rolling RV, bought and paid for by an individual, is none of the .gov's business, plain and simple. If said vehicle is properly licensed and legally parked, whether or not the owner of it is asleep inside is nobody's business.

In the Great Depression, Central Park was filled with folks living in cardboard shacks and there was nothing the .gov could do about it. The financial abyss that we're all headed into will make the Great Depression look like a holiday, so people living quietly in any kind of vehicle will be the least of society's problems.

Shabbat Shalom,

Jesse.

1. Yes, a lot is going to depend on the definition of "legally parked."

2. Stop blaming the police. They don't make the laws. They enforce the laws that the taxpayers'
elected officials create because the taxpayers, homeowners and business owners demand them. The police don't create laws, themselves, but many of them get killed or wounded in the process of enforcing them - which is the job they are hired by the community to do. If you have a beef, it's with the taxpayers, homeowners and business owners.

I definitely didn't mean to come off as blaming the police, my apologies. The fact is that these laws make them instruments of injustice much like forfeiture laws on preponderance have been shown to do. I hope reform does come and this bill does see the light of day. Most officers I have met do mean well, and as you've said they are just doing what they're told.

gcal said:
2. Stop blaming the police. They don't  make the laws. They enforce  the laws that the taxpayers'
elected officials create because  the taxpayers, homeowners  and business owners demand them. The police don't create laws, themselves, but many of them get killed or wounded in the process of enforcing them - which is the job they are hired by the community to do. If you have a beef, it's  with the taxpayers, homeowners and business owners.

How do you reconcile that statement with the original post, which said that " Local government and police groups that oppose AB718 say that . . . "?

If "police groups" are advocating for or against legislation, how do they get to wash their hands of responsibility for it?

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
How do you reconcile that statement with the original post, which said that " Local governments and police groups that oppose AB718 say that . . . "?

If "police groups" are advocating for or against legislation, how do they get to wash their hands of responsibility for it?

Regards
John

The police can advocate for anything they believe will make it easier for them to keep the peace. The community regularly makes conflicting demands on them. They aren't going to get what they are advocating for unless the community decides to give it to them.

In my experiences, the leadership of any company. group or organization is usually thinking differently from the rank and file workers that have the day to day exposure with the general public.

Many LEO's I have met will state the law, and then advise how to do what is NEEDED without causing problems.  (The law says no public camping, but we do not go to X unless called)   They would rather not have to spend an hour booking you when all they have to do is ask nicely.  When I was broken down on State land in Ehrenberg AZ, the Sheriff gave me a week to get the van fixed. He saw my camp was clean and I was being honest.  The people down the road who had huge piles of trash were given 24 hours.

well it looks like kalifornia is considering passing a sane law for a change. however I am not holding my breath. highdesertranger

FLAILER: I, personally, do hold police accountable. It is called selective enforcement. The officer holds MUCH personal discretion. And it is their discretion (heavy-handedness, bullying, intimidation, or kindness in their behavior and deeds) is what REALLY defines the law.

I couldn't agree more, flailer.

Shalom,

Jesse.

Public opinion such as phone calls, written complaints, lawsuits, and letters to the editor are what make or break an officers career. In the US we have a lot of resources to go to when we are treated bad by an officer of the law. Especially today. (except in Waco)

A heavy handed attitude will be a career killer, and a 60's anti LEO attitude will give you a ticket and a shove down the road.

flailer I stood up and gave you a standing ovation on that one, especially the last line about the boomers. highdesertranger

I hope the bill passes,in 1970 while living in cali i slept in cars,on the beaches and alot of other places,not once did we ever run into a problem,always was welcomed by everyone,Thats when we had the volkswagon bus with the flowers painted on the sides with the peace symbol.What a time that was darn i miss it so much.I can say this that within 5 years the poop is going to really hit the fan..

greg63 said:
I hope the bill passes,in 1970 while living in cali i slept in cars,on the beaches and alot of other places,not once did we ever run into a problem,always was welcomed by everyone,Thats when we had the volkswagon bus with the flowers painted on the sides with the peace symbol.What a time that was darn i miss it so much.I can say this that within 5 years the poop is going to really hit the fan..

In 1970, the US population was 205 million.Today, the resident population is 321 million. Not sure if that includes 11 million illegals. We all want to go the same places and enjoy the same areas. Something's got to give.

I'm not convinced that the flower children are today's blooming idiots, I think it's more the establishment crowd from the same era.

The establishment crowd was the power hungry group of morons back then, and nothing has changed. They still wish to rule the lives of others, when they don't have a lick of common sense or compassion for others themselves.

The establishment crowd needs to get over their me, me, me, fixation and open their eyes to the bigger picture and the needs of the many over the needs/desires of their own choosing.

It is written that the meek shall inherit the earth. Perhaps the powerful should spend a little more time reading the good book.