New California law would protect vandwellers from ticketing and vehicle seizure.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the cop-bashing posts have been deleted and the name calling post insulting a group of people has been deleted. Any more like them will be deleted.
Bob

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.  Really.  Thanks.    I was starting to believe that this site / this forum is not for me, that I should never return.  That this site is NOT for people that think for themselves; Not for people that specifically CHOOSE to live & be outside the norm. 

But you re-enforced my faith in the wisdom of the individual.  Faith in the moral person.  And in the nomad person. 

I really don't see what is insulting about holding other people accountable for their (good or bad) behavior.  

Call me overly honest if you like, but:    My job as manger of a $34 million company was NEVER a "badge" , an excuse to behave badly, or treat any of my WONDERFUL people badly.   

After all, it was their *possible* (possible, did you get that part?)  bad behavior that i brought up.     What: Are some "class" of people to be given an automatic "pass"  ?  

Go ahead: hold me accountable for my words

Shrug.   It matters not.  We are all just passing through.   And this is surely not my site.

Brian_and_Jesse said:
DG, I don't believe that police or bylaws officers will  realistically be *able* to effect 'no overnight parking' regulations.  Too many people are ticked off with them already, and noncompliance will be a given shortly, as more and more people are forced into alternative lifestyles because of the devolving geopolitical climate; it isn't only an American 'problem.'  There are a lot of us out here already, and soon there will simply be too many for anyone to police.

Besides, the .gov doesn't own anything.  

BLM or Crown land in N. America is land set aside for the purpose of its preservation for the people - not the .gov.

City streets and other public ground are there for use by the tax-paying people who fund both its existence and maintenance.  Homeowners don't own the sidewalk in front of their homes, let alone the road.  

A car/van/tent/trailer/or rolling RV, bought and paid for by an individual, is none of the .gov's business, plain and simple.  If said vehicle is properly licensed and legally parked, whether or not the owner of it is asleep inside is nobody's business.

In the Great Depression, Central Park was filled with folks living in cardboard shacks and there was nothing the .gov could do about it.  The financial abyss that we're all headed into will make the Great Depression look like a holiday, so people living quietly in any kind of vehicle will be the least of society's problems.

Shabbat Shalom,

Jesse.

All due respect there Jesse , but go research " Hooverville" and the events surrounding the encampment and what eventually happened.

As for the " govt not owning anything" , you're correct in the abstract but unfortunately completely in error as regards reality.

In reality the govt owns about everything , as long as you walk their line they'll let you *think* you own something. But just try not paying your property taxes on a piece of ground and see how fast they'll own it lock stock and barrel.

As far as resistance? You've been around " Vandwellers " too long , most of us tend to be mavericks , free thinkers and individualists , and thus way ,way out of step with " normal" society , the majority of which has turned into bleating flocks Baaaaaaing the party and waiting to morph into Lemmings waiting for a convenient cliff.