New and a bit overwhelmed.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everfree

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,
I'm really glad to be here but finding the learning curve is a bit steep. Thankfully there are many people who have posted "how to" videos on YouTube and this forum is available to connect more personally.
I am doing research on how to set my 2000 GMC Yukon up for long term travel and camping (not much experience with either). It's amazing how much info is here, I'll try not to ask too many questions until I search through what's here first.
After looking over the forum a bit, I am intrigued and encouraged, figuring things out about 12 volt contraptions and getting less fearful of setting out on my own. I am currently in North Carolina, planning on going to Atlanta soon for a visit there and then set out west, eventually arriving in California to spend time with more family and friends there. Along the way I look forward to meeting some of you brave and adventurous folk.
Many thanks to Bob and others who are so generous with their time and knowledge.
Robin

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry too much about asking a question that's already been covered. I've asked a few of those and the response I've received has been to kindly point me to the right thread with the answers I'm looking for. I'm a newbie too. I just started this spring. The only ridiculous question is the one you don't ask.

Again, welcome.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL forums Robin! Please feel free to ask as many questions as needed. You will get more and better answers if you post them one at a time and under the heading the fits each one best.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome Robin.....

there is so much help here.... you wouldn't believe it...

Looking forward to your progress...

Remember to add pictures....

jT

Welcome, Robin. I'm new here, too. Enjoying the detailed answers to questions and celebrating the mental freedom that follows embracing this approach to life.

everfree said:
 I am currently in North Carolina, planning on going to Atlanta soon for a visit there and then set out west,
Hello Robin. There are a bazillion webpages and also threads on this forum on traveling as you describe. Bob Wells youtube has interviews with people camping and living in their cars, so start there. See how they handle all the day to day stuff. The best advice everyone gives is: take it one step at a time, learn as you go. 

If you're not experienced in camping, then try starting off as follows: 
- (1) take some short camping trips around your local area, of 2 to 3 days. 
- (2) initially stay in organized campgrounds where there are a lot of other people. This will cost a few dollars, but is very important to getting into the swing of things. You'll feel much better being around a bunch of other people, than being off in the woods alone somewheres. Talk to your neighbors in the CGs, they'll tell you their entire life stories until you're bored. 
- (3) go to google maps, blow up the area you are interested in, enter "camping" into the search window, and click on the button:
  https://www.google.com/maps/search/camping/@35.600386,-84.1169777,7z
- (4) if you're near any large cities when on the road, it's easier to stay in a motel.
- (5) don't worry about all the people who are obsessed with "free" camping; that's something you grow into over time, not jump into off the mark.