Never did a conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem with that PVC tank in Leah's van was it wasn't even glued, at least I don't see any glue. also once you get into the larger PVC sizes it's not cheap especially the fittings, that had to cost more than 100 bucks to build. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the problem with that PVC tank in Leah's van was it wasn't even glued,  at least I don't see any glue.  also once you get into the larger PVC sizes it's not cheap especially the fittings,  that had to cost more than 100 bucks to build.  highdesertranger

Yeah, it needs some work, if she were to keep it. But still, I like the overall idea.

For one thing, no pump is needed for small amounts of water, and this keeps things reliable and quiet.

For another, it keeps the water distributed, and if mounted securely, its no worse in an accident than a 30-50 pound water container secured with bungees or sitting in a tray.

It could be decorated, painted, re-arranged, or hidden for aesthetic purposes.

I have seen the roof-mounted rigid solar shower tubes, and they certainly add weight up high yet they seem to be fine.

sephson said:
I use a water container very similar to the one pictured below. It holds 2.5 gallons of water. It's easy to fill and fairly inexpensive. I got mine from the housewares department at Walmart. I carry four of these as a part of my road trip setup.

588e4518-2c23-4794-a104-a26b484cf1af_1.565e1954a75fbfd342f5e7ba3c27ae56.jpeg

They also have a 1.25 gallon version if storage space is an issue or if you just don't feel like picking up a 21 pound water bottle.

78f4e6a9-d882-46f5-8dd2-210c6b96355b_1.527b3d6f69d7a27a3832519da746811d.jpeg

Yes, I was thinking of something like this.  Also more affordable than getting gallons at market.  Have you got electric?  How do you fix coffee?  I was drinking cold coffee last summer.  And eating Top Ramen.  El Crapo.

highdesertranger said:
the problem with that PVC tank in Leah's van was it wasn't even glued,  at least I don't see any glue.  also once you get into the larger PVC sizes it's not cheap especially the fittings,  that had to cost more than 100 bucks to build.  highdesertranger

Don't think the guy knew about the glue since it leaked in two spots at connection.
Wonder if I can sell that piping?

caretaker said:
sep, i like those, what would your report so far be on them? like, how long have you had them,ect,ect.

I've had two of the 2.5 gallon containers for two and a half years. I bought the other two just a few months ago. I also have four of the 1.25 gallon containers that I bought two years ago when my local Walmart was sold out of the 2.5's. I'm happy with them. They've turned out to be pretty durable, no leaking seals so far.

MsLeah said:
Yes, I was thinking of something like this.  Also more affordable than getting gallons at market.  Have you got electric?  How do you fix coffee?  I was drinking cold coffee last summer.  And eating Top Ramen.  El Crapo.

For power I have a first generation Goal Zero portable system. I'm looking to upgrade to solar panels on my roof when I can work it into my budget. As for hot drinks, coffee, tea, etc., I have a camp stove and a set of cookware. I just heat the water up in a pan. I also use the camp stove to heat up my shower water. I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer from Home Depot and tarps around my hatchback if I'm out in the boonies or hit the gym in a more urban environment. As for Top Ramen, adding some vegetables, maybe a beaten egg and some additional spices makes for a much tastier and more satisfying meal for very little additional expense.

The 5 gal. bucket is a good option . They sell a seat that fits them at wally's world of china stuff.

I have the 2 vehicle problem too , my class c and my mom's Saturn. I can use my bike if I'm not moving them too far apart. Sometimes I have used a bus or cab too.
Then there's always get a friend to follow me in the car and bring them back with it after the move. It gets 40mpg so not too bad for moving them both 40+6 averages to 23mpg !
Long distances without help will have to be just in the camper and leave the Saturn parked somewhere. I've done some house/pet sitting too . Use the Saturn and leave the camper on those.

1 gallon jugs are easier to fill , carry , store for those that don't have something built in. I even use them to fill my 20 gal in the camper and then for outdoor cooking etc.

In regards to the toilet situation there are alternatives if you lack the space for a 5 gallon bucket.

Here's what I carry in my road tripper:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here again, Walmart has there own version for less money:
988361ac-c3ef-4af3-bde0-0ea6736f0849_1.5b74d9377068cd1cf797708e7dec4399.jpeg

1103f75c-139a-474d-85ed-ca52b2e5e70a_1.ac054038b0d646c9dda3ab34c2365b1b.jpeg

Either version should be a good space saving alternative to a bucket.

I've been looking for a long time, doing research by looking at ads, and the 1st i look at is the number, if its a 1500/150 i don't bother to even read the ad. a couple of times i wasn't paying attention and read an ad and the class b rv was made on a 150 chassy,,,,how could that NOT exceed GVW is totally beyond me. i wouldn't even consider looking at it.

sephson said:
I've had two of the 2.5 gallon containers for two and a half years. I bought the other two just a few months ago. I also have four of the 1.25 gallon containers that I bought two years ago when my local Walmart was sold out of the 2.5's. I'm happy with them. They've turned out to be pretty durable, no leaking seals so far.

For power I have a first generation Goal Zero portable system. I'm looking to upgrade to solar panels on my roof when I can work it into my budget. As for hot drinks, coffee, tea, etc., I have a camp stove and a set of cookware. I just heat the water up in a pan. I also use the camp stove to heat up my shower water. I use a 1 gallon pump sprayer from Home Depot and tarps around my hatchback if I'm out in the boonies or hit the gym in a more urban environment. As for Top Ramen, adding some vegetables, maybe a beaten egg and some additional spices makes for a much tastier and more satisfying meal for very little additional expense.
I gather you are mostly in rural areas.  How long have you been living as such?

sephson said:
In regards to the toilet situation there are alternatives if you lack the space for a 5 gallon bucket.

Here's what I carry in my road tripper:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here again, Walmart has there own version for less money:
988361ac-c3ef-4af3-bde0-0ea6736f0849_1.5b74d9377068cd1cf797708e7dec4399.jpeg

1103f75c-139a-474d-85ed-ca52b2e5e70a_1.ac054038b0d646c9dda3ab34c2365b1b.jpeg

Either version should be a good space saving alternative to a bucket.
Those look pretty comfy.  Right now keeping gallon baggies on board will had to do for a while.  Just realized I need to cover the back window with a curtain of sorts for privacy, and another curtain type to make privacy behind the seats.  I have material.  The brown material is a leatherette.  The black material is a thick cotton, but not long enough, that back window is large.  Cotton, leather, fleece?

Attachments

• DSCN4546.JPG
    DSCN4546.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN4545.JPG
    DSCN4545.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 1
rvpopeye said:
The 5 gal. bucket is a good option . They sell a seat that fits them at wally's world of china stuff.

I have the 2 vehicle problem too , my class c and my mom's Saturn. I can use my bike if I'm not moving them too far apart. Sometimes I have used a bus or cab too.
Then there's always get a friend to follow me in the car and bring them back with it after the move. It gets 40mpg so not too bad for moving them both 40+6 averages to 23mpg !
Long distances without help will have to be just in the camper and leave the Saturn parked somewhere.   I've done some house/pet sitting too . Use the Saturn and leave the camper on those.

1 gallon jugs are easier to fill , carry , store for those that don't have something built in. I even use them to fill my 20 gal in the camper and then for outdoor cooking etc.
Not sure if I'm putting my reply in the correct location.?

OMG, that two vehicle problem is giving me anxiety.  Big Freightliner monster and my Volvo.  Yes, I figured I'd have to catch a bus a few times.  I was planning that I would park, say at Walmart, then just park the Volvo at a closed store a block, to 5 blocks away.  I'll have to do this for a month till new housesitting job comes up.  The house is rural, transporting second car there will probably require a taxi.

Just figured out how to open the center door, and I found many cubby holes to hide/store stuff.  Even found this camera they left behind.  Working on curtains for front and back.

Attachments

• DSCN4539.JPG
    DSCN4539.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN4540.JPG
    DSCN4540.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN4541.JPG
    DSCN4541.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN4542.JPG
    DSCN4542.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4543.JPG
    DSCN4543.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 7
MsLeah said:
I gather you are mostly in rural areas.  How long have you been living as such?

I don't. I actually live in a condo. I love road trips though and find that traveling and sleeping in the car is a lot cheaper than staying in hotels and a lot more fun than flying.

So Truesephson said:
I don't. I actually live in a condo. I love road trips though and find that traveling and sleeping in the car is a lot cheaper than staying in hotels and a lot more fun than flying.
So True.  Not sure where to put reply.
This is the material I will go with, beige canvas.  I will have two panels like this to make lots pleats.  Also the top has to have a small curtain rod, a string hangs awkwardly.  I must leave here June 5, so have lots to do.  Back to fabric store.

Attachments

• DSCN4560.JPG
    DSCN4560.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 3
MsLeah said:
Not sure where to put reply.

Right below the quotation box is generally considered the ideal spot to put a response. Personally, I like to leave a blank line between the quotation and my reply, but it's not a requirement. Not to worry, you'll get used to the mechanics of the forum soon enough.

sephson said:
Right below the quotation box is generally considered the ideal spot to put a response. Personally, I like to leave a blank line between the quotation and my reply, but it's not a requirement. Not to worry, you'll get used to the mechanics of the forum soon enough.
Thought sure I would have this back curtain completed by now.  Only have one panel done.  Looks better with rod across the top.  I like this canvas, the bottom is finish  View from the inside.  Slight problem, when I went to buy more material, I didn't notice till I got home and handled it, that is was a bit thinner/lighter than my first canvas.  Others might not be able to tell, but I can.  Have to go back and see if they have more original material.

Attachments

• DSCN4561.JPG
    DSCN4561.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN4563.JPG
    DSCN4563.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 2
MsLeah said:
Thought sure I would have this back curtain completed by now.  Only have one panel done.  Looks better with rod across the top.  I like this canvas, the bottom is finish  View from the inside.  Slight problem, when I went to buy more material, I didn't notice till I got home and handled it, that is was a bit thinner/lighter than my first canvas.  Others might not be able to tell, but I can.  Have to go back and see if they have more original material.
Completed the curtain for the back, for privacy, does look a bit perverted closed.  This is duck cloth, thicker than regular canvas.  Engraved my initials at the bottom (upside down). Will have to make some sort of ties backs.

What do I work on next?  I can do material, got lots of leather.

Attachments

• DSCN4586.JPG
    DSCN4586.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN4589.JPG
    DSCN4589.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 1
PineyCruisin said:
I would simply siphon water into it with a small hose from a larger containor/bucket than the quart bottle you mentioned. It may still take some time but at least you can let the siphon do the work and don't have to be continuously filling and feeding a bottle into it.

There are little pumps you can run off a cordless drill to move water.  Some have to be primed. 

I currently have one in my toolkit.  Consider another use, one is going to use water from a stream for bathing or whatever.  It seems easier to pump water from a shallow stream into a bucket than doing the dip the bucket, pour out a quart, dip the bucket, pour out a quart routine.

This yt video gives an idea of the outflow and noise with about 4' head when he is standing:

[video=youtube]

MsLeah said:
Completed the curtain for the back, for privacy, does look a bit perverted closed.  This is duck cloth, thicker than regular canvas.  Engraved my initials at the bottom (upside down). Will have to make some sort of ties backs.
What do I work on next?  I can do material, got lots of leather.

Nice work.  Are the initials upside down for a reason?  /pondering

Thanks for posting pics of your work.  As others have said, I like your ability to think of interesting solutions to problems.