Never did a conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsLeah

Reaction score
Finally got the inside clean and had time  to read the section on key remote. Not sure about this water pipe. Pouring water in would take a long time as a gallon jug does not fit at the top, only the small quart bottle.

Attachments

• DSCN4497.JPG
    DSCN4497.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN4499.JPG
    DSCN4499.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN4500.JPG
    DSCN4500.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN4503.JPG
    DSCN4503.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN4511.JPG
    DSCN4511.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 43
Did you build the pipe-section-storage tank? I thought about something like that, but ended up using a 12 volt water pump with a kitchen-sink-sprayer-hose. Fed from a 7 gallon storage bottle on the floor.

I'm thinking that something like a solar shower bag might be a good solution for filling the pipes...kinda funnel/squeeze the water up and in...

I'd shine a light in the pipe and use a mirror to see what it looks like inside.
Water jugs can get funky. I cant imagine trying to clean the pipe set-up you have.?

Second, store some water in the pipe for 24-48 hrs., and try a drink. It may be plastic tasting?

As for filling, I'd use a hose.

I can't seem to understand this post no matter how many times I read it.
There's a sink,...I get that.
There's a weird bit of PVC pretending to be a faucet, I guess. I get that.

"Read the section on key remote." What?

Whose is it and why are we talking about it?
What is the water source?
Why would anyone fill anything from quart bottles?

Weight said:
Did you build the pipe-section-storage tank? I thought about something like that, but ended up using a 12 volt water pump with a kitchen-sink-sprayer-hose. Fed from a 7 gallon storage bottle on the floor.

The guy who owned it before me built it (3 wks ago) did piping.  Finally filled it today, with a tablespoon of bleach to clean it.  It held 7 gallons of water.  When I empty it there is a turn crank, it pours in a bucket below, turn crank to stop.

I would simply siphon water into it with a small hose from a larger containor/bucket than the quart bottle you mentioned. It may still take some time but at least you can let the siphon do the work and don't have to be continuously filling and feeding a bottle into it.

Actually, that water storage/distribution unit is a very creative use of vertical space. I've never seen anything remotely similar in any other build. It would even be easy to enclose if you didn't like to look at it....or....paint it and use as a picture frame....or...put a mirror in the center. So many possibilities.

thats actually a neat idea. i think i would lower it as much as i could to make it easier to fill. for future reference, the turn crank thing (I'm NOT trying to belittle you, just help educate you)thats a ball valve. smart thing with the bleach, also if your interior gets real warm take a taste of the water before you take a big drink, the plastic can leach chemicals, it will be fine for dishes, hand washing, ect,ect, but like piney crusin says the possibilitys are endless. think about how much water you could store if a person ran a course around the top of just a van, if what you got their is 7 gals. a person could make a 20 gals. easy. thanks for sharing, regards caretaker

caretaker said:
 if what you got their is 7 gals. a person could make a 20 gals. easy. thanks for sharing, regards caretaker

I'm not so sure that's such a great idea.  If that holds 7 gallons, that means that when full you have at least 60 lbs of weight hanging on that wall there, right above the driver's seat.  If it's not mounted really, really solidly and comes loose in a crash, that's a pretty heavy missile to be crashing into the back of the driver's head.  And frankly I'm not sure exactly HOW you'd go about mounting that really, really solidly.  I'm not convinced that four pipe straps will continue to hold it to the plywood under those circumstances. And it is mounted high enough that having an additional 60lbs in that one spot could potentially have a negative effect on handling.

hep, yeah your right, what i think i would do is run it around the whole top mounted accordingly, i would baffle it,it wouldn't be hard to do, as far as raising your C of G, the batt, reefers storage ect. will compensate for the weight. the way i see it if a person is running that close as far as balance that that would be significant, or noticeable, what a person could do is run it around the inside on the floor, heck that would be even easier to fill and pressurize. since you have a rig and i don't i wonder if you would mind looking at yours, (look at it like you have a blank slate, i mean empty van i guess) and thinking creatively, how do you think it would be? the thing i think i like the most is that you distribute the weight uniformly. my mind is going wild with the possibilities. that looks like 4", if a person was to run it on the floor i can't see why you couldn't run 6", a person can do lots of neat things with pvc.

hepcat said:
I'm not so sure that's such a great idea.  If that holds 7 gallons, that means that when full you have at least 60 lbs of weight hanging on that wall there, right above the driver's seat.  If it's not mounted really, really solidly and comes loose in a crash, that's a pretty heavy missile to be crashing into the back of the driver's head.  And frankly I'm not sure exactly HOW you'd go about mounting that really, really solidly.  I'm not convinced that four pipe straps will continue to hold it to the plywood under those circumstances.  And it is mounted high enough that having an additional 60lbs in that one spot could potentially have a negative effect on handling.

The piping started leaking, in two spots.  And yes, it was heavy and pulling away from the cheap wood paneling.  Having two market water jugs would suit me fine.  This is a primitive set up.

Now if I can get those screws out without calling people.

Attachments

• DSCN4524.JPG
    DSCN4524.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4523.JPG
    DSCN4523.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 11
The PVC idea has many possibilities for sure.
Maybe even grey water storage under the rig??
Pretty inexpensive too.
Anyone doing this , make sure you use primer before the adhesive for a leak free installation.
(probably why yours is leaking)

PVC has been used for water supply piping in a lot of buildings and I haven't heard any reports of plastic taste .

rvpopeye said:
The PVC idea has many possibilities for sure.
Maybe even grey water storage under the rig??
Pretty inexpensive too.
Anyone doing this , make sure you use primer before the adhesive for a leak free installation.
(probably why yours is leaking)

PVC has been used for water supply piping in a lot of buildings and I haven't heard any reports of plastic taste .

The piping screws came out nicely because the drill worked properly.  It's nice when the tools work right.  The PVC piping is heavy. 
Still haven't figured out how to open the side door.  I am contemplating driving it around early Sunday morning.  I've owned it 4 weeks now and have not driven it yet.

Attachments

• DSCN4526.JPG
    DSCN4526.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4527.JPG
    DSCN4527.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 9
All you need is just a few basics to take it on a ROAD TRIP !
You'll be able to post pics on the view out your door thread...

rvpopeye said:
All you need is just a few basics to take it on a ROAD TRIP !
You'll be able to post pics on the view out your door thread...

My situation is that I must leave this housesitting job June 5th. Used to sleep in my car between housesitting.  Besides that I have a small part time housekeeping/caregiver jobs in this border(Canadian) town.  Since retired, I don't have to work 40 hours.  I was homeless a couple months last June, not that often, so trying to get away without paying the Landlords/Scamlords.  I work typical 3 days a week.  Just don't know how I will manage two vehicles.  Move one to 24 hr market, and run around in car. Then park car and move van.  Got to do that till next housesitting job starts July 5th.

Not sure what I need next.  Yes, a toilet of sorts should be number one. Do I need a 5 gallon bucket and its cover?  Can see a need for a curtain to cut off the back.  The present flowery things have to go.  Carpet on the back floor?  It was only 65 degrees yesterday and warm in there.  A battery operated fan maybe.

Attachments

• DSCN4515.JPG
    DSCN4515.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN4504.JPG
    DSCN4504.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 12
I like it.

I like different and weird, funky stuff.

I figure this entire website is all about doing things differently from the normal accepted, run-of-the-mill everyday stuff.

So...I like it.

Yeah I'd just fill it with a garden hose...or...

Years ago I made an adapter to hook up to a regular old garden spigot, that reduced the outlet to a brass 1/4" compression fitting, with a small ball-valve, a strain relief spring, and a length of 100 feet of black vinyl evaporative swamp cooler type plastic tubing.

Why?

Well at the time my motorhome was moochdocking at a friend's house, but the water supply was about 80 feet away. It was a pain to unroll 100 feet of drinking water hose, hook it up to the coach tank fill, go back to the spigot, turn it on, then stand by the motorhome, monitoring the fill, then wait till it spilled everywhere, then go wind the hoses back up, usually dirty, heavy, and bulky, and store it all away.

The very lightweight poly tubing made the task super-easy, and yes, it did take longer, but I learned how long it took and if it DID run over, it was only a trickle, not a flood. Plus the small poly tubing, inserted deeply into the freshwater fill opening, did not require or cause 'water burping'. I never drink water from fresh water RV tanks, its only for cleaning, showers, bathroom water, etc.

Winding the poly tubing up was very easy, and the entire thing with valve, fittings, and trapped water probably only weighed about a pound. I tied it up with a velcro strap, and tossed it on a shelf. Easy-peasy.

hepcat said:
I'm not so sure that's such a great idea.  If that holds 7 gallons, that means that when full you have at least 60 lbs of weight hanging on that wall......

....I'm not convinced that four pipe straps will continue to hold it to the plywood under those circumstances.  And it is mounted high enough that having an additional 60lbs in that one spot could potentially have a negative effect on handling.

Looks like she took it down before my last post was finished.

I figure 60 pounds are fine, many things including microwaves, cabinets, TV sets, AC units weigh as much or more, and they dont cause any handling or safety problems, at least in normal amounts and settings.

I would make sure it was securely mounted tho, with anchors tied to the vertical ribs behind it.

I use a water container very similar to the one pictured below. It holds 2.5 gallons of water. It's easy to fill and fairly inexpensive. I got mine from the housewares department at Walmart. I carry four of these as a part of my road trip setup.

588e4518-2c23-4794-a104-a26b484cf1af_1.565e1954a75fbfd342f5e7ba3c27ae56.jpeg

They also have a 1.25 gallon version if storage space is an issue or if you just don't feel like picking up a 21 pound water bottle.

78f4e6a9-d882-46f5-8dd2-210c6b96355b_1.527b3d6f69d7a27a3832519da746811d.jpeg

sep, i like those, what would your report so far be on them? like, how long have you had them,ect,ect.