Needing advice/help on buying a van.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwade1881

Reaction score
I live in Texas and on disability and have a credit card with a 4.5k limit looking to buy a used vehicle in east texas, but everything I find online is pure crud. looking for some help.

Have you tried Auctions? Out side of that, what type of van are you looking for?? You could get yourself into a decent Minivan for about $3000 Give or take.. you take the seats out a Mini van actually has a lot of room

i can't get to auctions the nearest one is almost 3 hours away and I want a minivan

Well in the price ranger your looking in/needing you should have no problems finding something decent.. will it need work, yeah probably.. Hell even brand new vehicles need work often soo after driving them off the lot..

I would look for private owners, not dealerships.. many times you will get a better deal..

about a year an a half ago I bought an 06 grand caravan for $2400, didn't need much until about 4 months ago.. I am now replacing things on it.. and I am ok with that, because it is a strong vehicle..

But I have also done most of the work my self.. So that makes a huge difference.

Be careful with spending it all on your new van, you will need to have an emergency fund for repairs, and unforeseen roadblocks. To prevent some of those situations, the van you choose should be inspected, and properly tuned up with tires/brakes/cooling system/belts/battery/suspension components.

You take a big risk buying used from a private seller. But then again, dealerships are always looking to make an extra buck and screw you over or look the other way when something is wrong with a car and not tell you. Auctions can be anything, but you usually get stuff so cheap, who cares. Tread carefully no matter where you buy from...

ckelly78z said:
Be careful with spending it all on your new van, you will need to have an emergency fund for repairs, and unforeseen roadblocks. To prevent some of those situations, the van you choose should be inspected, and properly tuned up with tires/brakes/cooling system/belts/battery/suspension components.
yeah i know

PlethoraOfGuns said:
You take a big risk buying used from a private seller. But then again, dealerships are always looking to make an extra buck and screw you over or look the other way when something is wrong with a car and not tell you. Auctions can be anything, but you usually get stuff so cheap, who cares. Tread carefully no matter where you buy from...

yeah i know all about that. its why i came here looking for advice/help in trying to find a decent one that is around 2k to 4.5k. I do know this guy in florida whos wanting to sell me his 2012 chevy malibu with 200k highway miles on it and is in excellent condition but its going to be hell to get there get the vehicle drive it back here get it registered for a texas vehicle. i can't really afford it all.

I would advice you NOT to buy a car on a credit card. The interest on purchases is astronomical.

It is better to save the money first and buy it with cash, or get a loan from a credit union to finance it.
Don't spend your last penny on the van price, have at least $1000 on reserve, to pay repairs, sooner or later.

Sofisintown said:
I would advice you NOT to buy a car on a credit card. The interest on purchases is astronomical.

It is better to save the money first and buy it with cash, or get a loan from a credit union to finance it.
Don't spend your last penny on the van price, have at least $1000 on reserve, to pay repairs, sooner or later.
monthly payments would be 100 a month and my interest would be atotal of 1,445 total for the 4.5k also i have no choice unless youre going to give me 3k or more as my disability check doesn't give me much time to sell. some of us just don't have a choice but to do what we need to. i haven't been anywhere in 7 years because no car. and im about to be homeless soon and being disabled and unable to be homeless on my feet. i have no choice.

""monthly payments would be 100 a month and my interest would be atotal of 1,445 total for the 4.5k""

I'm sorry for your situation.....I've had CC Debt in the past.........I don't believe this can be accurate

I don't care what you believe.

straight from my credit card company.
my apr is [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18.49%. 
[size=small][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your minimum payment is calculated as the greater of $40.00 or 2.00% of the total balance, OR, 1.00% of the ending transaction balance plus any fees and finance charges.[/font]
[/font][/size]

5000 +2% is 100. but believe whatever you wat to believe and yes I have had credit card myself and got out of it thank you.

You're right about the 2% and $100 payment but wrong on how much interest you will be paying.

It will take you about 8 years to pay off $5000 at ~ $100/mo. and your total interest paid will be about $4625.

If you buy an old van this way and it breaks down, you will have very little reserve for repairs. It's possible you could lose the van because it's too expensive to fix.  Then you will be paying $100 per month for the next 8 years but have nothing to show for it.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you can come up with a better solution.

(link to payment calculator):

https://www.calculator.net/payment-...=1000&cinterestrate=18.49&printit=0&x=67&y=33

You need to seek assistance from any resource you have available. Have you registered with Homes On Wheels Alliance? They are in the business of helping those with limited resources get a van to live in. If you are disabled there should be some private nonprofit organizations offering counseling or aid in finding shelter in your local area. Are you a vet? If so lots of help is available. Federal and states offer several programs but finding out which are for you and getting the applications done requires the help of a social worker often or a volunteer at a church or other organization. Make sure you reach out and seek help from any and all before putting yourself into debt or a situation you can not maintain. Are you in an urban area? There maybe low rent housing available until your situation improves to a point you can afford to live this lifestyle with more financial security. Going into debt and using bankruptcy for relief should be your last resort as it will affect the number of resources available to you for a period of time afterwards.

I have a full size van now, but I am looking into a minivan as a second van. I would shoot for a used Toyota sienna from a private seller in a cash deal. They are solid.. That is where you will find your best deal. You could try an auction, but most auction cars need body work, unless body work is up your alley. You will pay a premium if you buy from a dealership. I would stay away from Chrysler products if you can, they are more problematic than any other brand. But there are a million of them at the wrecking yard, so cheap parts everywhere. Thats one benefit of them, I think, lol. I used to drive a tow truck. Couldn't tell you how many grand caravans I towed. Just look out for blown head gaskets and slipping trannys when you buy private. Thats what most people try to pass off if they are selling junk to someone who doesn't know what they are looking at. The condition of the interior, the sound of the engine and the dipsticks will tell you a plethora of info.