Need help on how to attach my bed frame to the van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Kira_

Reaction score
I have a Mitsubishi delica I am trying to convert into a camper for my son and myself to live in until we get back on our feet. I have limited skills and I may have made a huge mistake so I'm hoping the brains trust can help me out.
I created an aluminum frame from click together pieces from the hardware store but I didn't think about how to secure it to the van, I do not have a wood floor, his carpet and one wheel arch with bits to attach it to.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can safely create heaps of anchor points to secure heavy items so they don't fly and hit my son who is in the back?
Thankyou

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

not seeing the material you need to attach makes it had to make a good recommendation. do you have a picture or maybe a link to the materials you clicked together. or even the product name would help

if you dont mind making holes in the floor with screws or bolts. you could possible use the straps from the hardware store that are sold as pipe hangers or the ones for "emt" (emt is a type of metal tubing)

like these from home depot https://tinyurl.com/yyc5zo7m
they come in several sizes.

if you dont have something for these to go over and hold down. then you might be able to use some angle brackets like these... https://tinyurl.com/y4mbq8zw you would screw one leg of these to your framework then screw the other leg down to the floor. if you have, or can barrow from a friend or neighbor drill then you could use the self drilling metal screws to go right through the carpet and through the sheet metal floor. or even drill a hole through and use a nut and bolt with washers

the nut bolt combo is stronger but you have to ba able to get to the back side to put the nut on. the screws can go in from one side only. just use more for more stregth. be care full of what is on the other side if you use long screws that might go into something else

i might be able to give some better ideas if i could see what it is you are working with.

good luck and keep us posted

also, if you dont have the tools. there are lots of helpful folks on the forum that have tools and might be willing to lend a hand. if you post up your general location someone might be able to help you out.

From my experience, things like beds don't shift around very much. It might be enough to run rope or even bungee cords from the bed to things like seatbelt anchor points. One toward the front, one toward the back. Also, if things are packed under the bed, that stuff will help keep the bed in place.

from a safety stand point, especially with a child in the back, it is wise to really secure beds and such. the problem is not with things just moving around. but think about how that bed becomes a missile if you have to slam on the brakes or god forbid are in an accident. any item big enough that you wouldnt want it to run into you at 50 mph should be secured so that it stays put in an accident.

securing the bed very well is a wise thing to do