Need Help- Maxx Fan to Starter Battery? (temporary)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatBalouE350

Reaction score
My son has cut the hole for my Maxx fan and working on its install but I still do not have house batteries or solar set up. Please can someone tell me the best way to connect it until I can get my solar set up? 

1.  Can I run it straight to the starter battery?  I am aware that it may ruin this battery and if so I will replace with a Marine dual purpose battery and I would also, if this is doable, purchase a battery start jumper just in case I drain it to far.

2. Or, through my ciggy plug that has power without the car running?

3. Or, buy the 2 Costco gc2 I plan on for my solar system and use them? If so how can I  charge them if even possible. It will probably at least 3 weeks before I can get solar up and running.

And please tell me what fuses and where to place them and which size wire to use or anything else I am not be thinking of.

I know I should have learned this stuff by now for all the reading I've done but I am on information overload and under presdure of a time crunch because I only have my son's help this weekend, until who can say. I was suppose to have all my solar equipment and info on installing for him but I dont, that is a whole other thread. I know I'm putting the horse before the cart but its 105 degrees and I truly need this fan.

Thanks in advance!

There may be better options, but the most expedient may be to purchase the two 6v batteries, wire them in series (for 12v), hook the contacts to the positive on one battery and one to the negative of the other. To charge it, use a car charger connecting it the same way as you did with the fan. The fan should have a fuse integrated with it. My Fantastic Fan did. I'm assuming it's similar. If not, look at its manual for the right amperage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G20Blue said:
There may be better options, but the most expedient may be to purchase the two 6v batteries, wire them in series (for 12v), hook the contacts to the positive on one battery and one to the negative of the other. To charge it, use a car charger connecting it the same way as you did with the fan. The fan should have a fuse integrated with it. My Fantastic Fan did. I'm assuming it's similar. If not, look at its manual for the right amperage.

Additional links that may be helpful:
Wiring batteries in series

Also, for connecting fan to battery bank, I would use 12AWG wire, but others may have a different opinion.

For temporary use till you get the solar done I would say use the cigarette lighter plug with 16 gauge zip cord.  It is probably the easiest and quickest.  When you have the solar install you can probably use the 20 foot piece of wire.  They sell it at Home Depot.

A vent fan can easily be run from the main starting battery, its not ideal but it works fine.

You can run it on the lower speeds all night long, assuming your battery is in good shape, and assuming the van will be driven the next day enough to recharge the battery, or you have some other way to keep the battery charged up. (solar or shore power)

You DO need a fused lead or cable.

An easy and quick way to get this done for temporary use is to buy a 10 or 20 foot (whatever will reach) cigarette lighter extension cord, the kind with a fuse at the plug, and then cut off the socket, and connect the ends straight to the fan.

You will need to observe polarity, so be sure to check that.

You can find these at auto supply stores, truck stops, and of course, online.

s-l225.jpg

s-l200.jpg

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    8.7 KB
  • s-l200.jpg
    s-l200.jpg
    5.8 KB
Did you ask this same question over at Redit? Any way here is an answer.

Thank you! I like the idea of a ciggarette lighter extension. Will run it by my son!

My Son isn't here to ask, so wanted to ask here about the wiring on the Maxx fan which has a size 16 wire already attached. It is suggested I use a 12. Do I replace the 16 with the 12 or just add to it? I would think replace it but wanted to confirm.

16 gauge should be fine, unless you are running a hundred feet of wire....if you already have bought the 12 gauge wire you can use that, just attach to the fan leads, no need to replace them.

BTW if you do use a lighter plug extension it will probably come with a 10 or 20 amp glass fuse, its a good idea to replace that with a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse....

tx2sturgis said:
16 gauge should be fine, unless you are running a hundred feet of wire....if you already have bought the 12 gauge wire you can use that, just attach to the fan leads, no need to replace them.

BTW if you do use a lighter plug extension it will probably come with a 10 or 20 amp glass fuse, its a good idea to replace that with a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse....

Thank You! ^^^