need help choosing a vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christine

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I've been thinking about switching to van dwelling for a few months, and I've decided to just go ahead and do it. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice for what make and model vehicle to choose. I've been considering a Ford E-350 extended (either cargo or passenger), or the Chevy Express 3500 Extended. If I get either of those I think I'll want to put a high top on.<br><br>Ideally I'd like about 140" of cargo space (between the back of the driver's seat and the back doors of the vehicle). Gas milage is a concern as well, since I'll be driving back and forth between San Francisco and Los Angeles often.&nbsp;<br><br>So, here's my wishlist (and I'm sure I'll have to compromise something--most likely gas milage):<br>- 140" cargo space (enough to two people and a dog)<br>- ability to stand up in it, or put a high top on<br>- parts are readily available<br>- 15-20 mpg<br><br>Any suggestions? TIA!

Welcome!!!<br><br>No real suggestions, except I have a 1999 Ford E-350, and we get along great!<br><br>I think you should get whichever one you find that works for your needs.&nbsp; I have no idea what it takes to install a high-top, but it might be worth trying to find one already installed, so you don't have that added expense and wait time.&nbsp; I would guess it's a fairly long, expensive procedure to install such a thing.<br><br>I wish you lots of wonderful successes!<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

This isn't a concern for most folks on this forum, but for me, the ability to convert the Econoline to 4x4 down the road was the biggest factor in my choice. Chevy does have some options in AWD, but for most of your requirements either platform will work.

Hi Christine, welcome. My 2000 regular length high top bus conversion gets 13.5 on the highway @62 mph. It has a gas engine, though i have heard of people getting 16-18l mpg with the same model with a diesel engine, though they are fairly rare in vans.

Christine, I think you have a good handle on this thing. Either a Ford or Chevy extended van sounds perfect for you. My only comment is to buy a conversion van with a high top already installed. Unless you can find a donor van in a junk yard and install it yourself the cost of adding a high top is astronomical, figure $3000-$4000 for parts and labor. <br><br>With a little luck you can get a good high-top conversion van for just a little more than that.<br>Bob

Welcome to the forum.<br><br>What I've learned from picking out vehicles over the years is figure out what type of vehicle you want (be it a compact, sedan, truck, van, etc), set a range of ages (2000 or newer, 2005 or newer, etc...) a maximum odometer reading (I usually set that at about 100,000kms), figure out which features are an absolute necessity for you (AC, ABS, whatever) and then just take your time, watch the ads, and the vehicle will find you.&nbsp; <br><br>My last three vehicles, I did it that way and I always ended up getting a lot more car for my dollar than I would have if I had set my sights on a specific make and model before hand.&nbsp; <br><br>So, you have decided on a full size van already.&nbsp; Now figure out how old you're willing to go, how many miles/kms you're willing to accept, what features are absolute necessities for you, keep your eye on the ads and wait for the van to present itself to you.&nbsp; <br><br>Most of the websites where people list vehicles have filter options so you can do a search every day using the criteria you laid out and avoid having to pick through ads for cars you aren't interested in.&nbsp; But if you key in a specific make and model, you might miss a really great deal on a van made by another manufacturer.<br><br><br>

This is all good advice. Can't say anything better. Good luck.

I would also&nbsp;recommend extended E350 Ford vans. If you go diesel you can get 19/20 MPG. &nbsp;IMHO the&nbsp;diesel&nbsp;is the way to go. They cost more and the fuel is a little higher, but they do last more than gas engine. I get 350,000 miles on the gas engines before selling. All the&nbsp;diesel I&nbsp;have&nbsp;owned go 500,000 plus, not to&nbsp;mention they can idle forever.&nbsp;CA does have a&nbsp;different&nbsp;set of&nbsp;emission&nbsp;rules so my&nbsp;mileage&nbsp;may differ from yours.<br>Installing a top is not a big deal fairly simple, buying straight from the&nbsp;manufacturer&nbsp;can help you cut cost too.

i agree with bob, try to get the hi top on it.&nbsp; Astronomical to get one new and put it on and difficult to find and install a junk one (especially with 1 or 2 people).

Depends on your budget. I&nbsp;wouldn't&nbsp;call it astronomical if it is, you may find gas prices&nbsp;prohibitive&nbsp;also.<br>You can buy them new for under $1500.&nbsp;<br><br>http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/bubblevantops.htm<br><br>I install them my self. After cutting away the old roof (not above the drivers area) I need help, one person to help lift it in place. Then all&nbsp;that's&nbsp;left is screw it down. and add the trim&nbsp;piece&nbsp; Then finishing it inside depending on how you want it.<br>If you have to pay $4000 your getting&nbsp;ripped&nbsp;off.<br><br>

LFM said:
Depends on your budget. I&nbsp;wouldn't&nbsp;call it astronomical if it is, you may find gas prices&nbsp;prohibitive&nbsp;also.<br>You can buy them new for under $1500.&nbsp;<br><br>http://www.discountvantruck.com/vantopsraisedroofs/bubblevantops.htm<br><br>I install them my self. After cutting away the old roof (not above the drivers area) I need help, one person to help lift it in place. Then all&nbsp;that's&nbsp;left is screw it down. and add the trim&nbsp;piece&nbsp; Then finishing it inside depending on how you want it.<br>If you have to pay $4000 your getting&nbsp;ripped&nbsp;off.<br><br>

I take it they ship the roof to you?
If so ,  how much is shipping?

Mobilesport said:
I take it they ship the roof to you?
If so ,  how much is shipping?

I believe they crate them - for which they charge several hundred dollars extra - and ship them freight, so it would depend on how far you are away from the factory.

I own two High top extended RV-vans. A Ford and a Dodge. My Ford gets 14-15mpg (1/2 ton) and my Dodge gets 10-12 (1-ton). If your in California it shouldn't be too tough to find a van that already has a hightop on it for alot less then buying a van and then paying 4-5K to have a hightop installed.​