Need front brake job help. Will Pay You $

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadforNature

Reaction score
Hi everyone, This is Roxy aka Nomad for Nature - I think I'm in need of a front brake job, probably new rotors. (Bad shimmy in steering wheel started a couple of days ago). I'm going to get them looked at in Cottonwood today or tomorrow and will get a quote, but I know it will be outrageous. I can purchase a rotor and brake pad kit online for $160, but can't do the labor. If it turns out that this is what I need, is there anyone in the Cottonwood/Sedona area who can do the job for me. We can discuss your fee.
OR, do you know of anyone in this area that can do this kind of work from their home. I know the job only takes about an hour (assuming the rotors aren't rusted or fused on). I hate garages, after what happened to me with Mitzi, I dread going to a garage as much as I do the doctor or the dentist.
Thank you everyone.

Does the shimmery only show itself when you are on the brakes, or is it happening all the time?

Is it pulling one way or another when braking?

I just had work done on my van Roxi, and was extremely pleased with the repair shop. I'm like you, very wary of repair shops, I could probably write a book about bad experiences over the last 50 years of driving... :rolleyes:

Last year Bob had major front end work done by the same company. At the time they  had a shop on Cottonwood as well as their original shop in Camp Verde. They've since closed the Cottonwood location because of problems finding good help.

If you can't find someone to help with the labor - here's their contact info:

Interstate Tire and Auto
573 N Industrial Dr.,
Camp Verde

928 567 0227

I don't know how to use this forum, am I posting in the right place?

Shimmy only happens when braking.

I don't really want to pay a garage, I'm looking to save money, but I will keep them in mind if it comes to that.

Van-Tramp said:
Does the shimmery only show itself when you are on the brakes, or is it happening all the time?

Is it pulling one way or another when braking?

Only when braking...I think it's the rotors

That does sound like a warped rotor. Any brake place will do a FREE brake inspection. Keep in mind they want you to do business there, so they will almost certainly find faults with your brakes.

Rotors do not normally go bad unless you overheat them, then "heat soak" one (leave your brakes on for a long period on a hot rotor, locking on that heat and causing it to warp). With that said, they can warp under normal use over time. Many modern vehicles user "throw-away" rotors (can not be used for long) as it is cheaper for the manufacture to produce a car with poor quality parts and expect you to pay for it later down the road, then make a car with quality products. Anyway, back in the day you could take that single rotor off and have a brake place grind down the warped section.... but I doubt that is an option anymore.

A few things...
1) replacing rotors are actually pretty easy, and only require a few tools.
2) do both at the same time, and may as well replace the brake pads too since you are effectively having to remove them to get to the rotors.
and the most important one...
3) brakes are the one thing on a vehicle you do not skimp on. It doesn't matter if you have a bad engine, or transmission, but bad brakes is life or death. I hate to say it, but I would recommend paying a shop to get the work done right.

If you can find an experienced fellow van-dweller (I wish I was there, I would help you in a heartbeat... I have done many a brake job) that you can trust, then go for it and toss him a few dollars. Keep in mind he is likely saving you from a hundreds in labor cost alone. You could check on Craig's List, but I am always wary about someone making it worse. If they can provide some references that you can talk too (any good mechanic will) then that is an option to save a few dollars over a shop, but at a slight risk.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Van-Tramp said:
I hate to say it, but I would recommend paying a shop to get the work done right.

Parting with more money doesn't necessarily improve the outcome.  An incompetent hobby mechanic can mess it up through ignorance.  A paid professional can mess it up too.

Like Van-Tramp, if I was close I would help for free. I hope you find a person to help. Best of luck!

Too bad I'm not in that area, Brake jobs are one of the few auto repair jobs I actually enjoy doing

get one of those kits with cross drilled rotors. since you're hauling extra weight they're designed to stay cool. And if you got the dough get some braided lines online while you're at it. thoroughly bleed to replace all the brake fluid so you got a fresh new system for going down them mountains.

Look into a local community college that has an auto shop. The work is supervised, and brakes are not rocket science to begin with.
I went to a high school that was also a trade school. I had autoshop 2 hours a day for 3 years. We worked on all kinds of cars for the general public.

If I was there I'd do it for you for free. It's a fairly easy job. I do mine in about 30 minutes. You didn't share what kind of vehicle you have so I can't cost compare components for you.

I have a recipe I use for my truck. I never turn rotors. If they are warped I buy cheap Chinese rotors at a parts store such as Autozone. For my truck, they are about $25 a wheel. A set of brake pads is about $23. I've been told I'm wrong about this but I think the softest pads are Organic, medium hardness is semi-metallic, and the hardest are ceramic. With ceramic pads I've warped my rotors a few times on downhills (pulling a heavy trailer). I like semi-metallic pads as they haven't ever warped my rotors. They wear faster and make the front wheels dirty, but I don't care as they are pretty cheap and my rotors last longer (this is just an opinion).

So, for me I use cheap Chinese rotors and semi-metallic pads. Since you don't do your own brakes, you probably want ceramic pads (last longer). Good luck!

Thank you for all your advice. I have actually found a fellow Van Dweller to do the work for a fee. I bought the stuff the other day, and decided to replace the rotors, pads and calipers, just to be sure it is going to be good for a long time. I still save money over the repair shop. They are working on it now...wish us luck.

And thanks to everyone.