Need assistance at La Posa

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceci

Reaction score
Is there anyone with a drill that can help me with my tent stakes?I got my shower tent up but I now realize there's no way I can get my larger tent stakes into the ground without a drill. I threw out my knee a week ago and I keep hitting it again so I'm currently slightly lame which makes everything more difficult. Sorry for being such a newbie

Wow, the ground is that hard? I've never been there, so not familiar with the various issues one encounters. What size drill bit do you think you'll need? How deep do you need the holes?

For those who have done this: what do other people do to get their tent stakes in the desert floor?

The Dire Wolfess

It's packed large rocks, possibly quartz hence the name. I only know that because Bob had made a video of him using a large drill to get stakes in the ground. It's not so much hard as just full of large rocks which the stakes inevitably hit. I bent my shower stakes getting them in. I remembered Bob's video at that time suggesting tent dwellers bring a drill.

Im not sure of the drill bit, I will find that video and post it. I was intending to join a caravan but the knee and general fatigue drew me here. I like it way more than I thought I would and might stay through the winter. Part of why I like it is the ground, it's remarkably bug free and almost like a parking lot.

Since I have arthritis and can't handle pounding and stuff like that, if I'm trying to stake out stuff on rocks I often use buckets filled with rocks to weight down my tent corners. Some people use canvas bags full of rocks. I'll be interested to learn about the drill.

The Dire Wolfess

WanderingRose said:
If there are rocks large enough for the purpose, that can be picked up, maybe put them in your inside corners where stakes would go to hold your tent stable.

They're not just on the surface they go way down. Also it was very windy the last two days and rocks wouldn't help much being mostly small sizes. Today not so much wind but when I put my shower tent up a few days ago at one point it was airborne except for the one corner I had secured and I almost lost it to the sky.

Moxadox said:
Since I have arthritis and can't handle pounding and stuff like that, if I'm trying to stake out stuff on rocks I often use buckets filled with rocks to weight down my tent corners.  Some people use canvas bags full of rocks.  I'll be interested to learn about the drill.  

The Dire Wolfess

The video I can't find of Bob doing it was more just drilling pilot holes for the staKes. Not as complex as the poster above explained - and I wouldn't need a drill to remove them. The dirt holding the rocks is soft and sandy it's the many rocks that are the problem. I've o ly been in this one area though, there are several long term areas with even harder ground like the one in Bob's dddvideo

I use a Ryobi 18 volt 1/2 drive inpact to drive 1/2" x 12" lag bolts that have a plastic fender washer to hold ball bungees looped through the tent grommet but still have to change location or angle of the stake and last resort sledge hammer. A masonary drill bit to drill a pilot hole would probably work to start rebar stakes that can be bought at most big box stores or the "big tent" tool store at Quartsite. As long as you can get the corners staked bags of sand or rocks will usually help keep the sides in place. the bottom of the washes or where they make a bend is usually where loose sand can be found to fill the bags. Stakes are all ways better than bags. Anything less than 1/2" in diameter and less than 12" long ain't gonna hold or will bend in desert pavement in my opinion.

If you are running into a rock move the shelter over a few inches and try a different spot. Or loop a short piece of cord through the grommet hole and use that new loop location to secure the tent stake into instead. Think creatively, if one spot does not work try another. Eventually you will find a path between rocks for the stake to fit down into the ground. Auger shaped stakes are another possiblity, they can sometimes lift up and move rocks out of their way. You don't need to pound them in you can turn them into the ground. But it does help to use a stout 12 inch long, hardened masonry bit to drill a pilot hole for the auger screw anchor to descend through. Much like drilling a pilot hole in wood for easier insertion of screws.
https://www.orangescrew.com/

has any body actually used those plastic screw stakes in the desert asphalt around Quartzsite? I would think they would break in a heartbeat. highdesertranger

What size masonry drill bit would be appropriate for use with 1/2" rebar stakes? 1/2" itself or a little smaller so it's just a pilot hole?

How hard are the 1/2" rebar stakes to get back out of the ground in an environment like quartzsite? Can they be pulled by hand relatively easily or do you need to hammer them upward? I'm wondering how my back will be able to handle removing them.

Or is it all just a lot easier with long 1/2" lag screws and a cordless impact driver for in and out?

Even the points of my lag bolts have started to wear round. The only broken plastic screw stake I have seen was old and had been out in the sun as I broke it trying to get it out with a long bar through the eye. It did flex a lot before breaking and scary to put that much force on. I have metal auger sand stakes with 1/2" shafts 24" long and 1/8" x 3" spiral ( basically a circle cut out of 1/8" metal, then split and bent to form a spiral and welded onto the shaft) that work well in loose sand but bent the shaft and spiral when I tried to screw them into desert pavement. I would think that if you did get the plastic screws in and left them for a long period of time they would be difficult to get out in one piece. House boats on Lake Powell illegally bring large hammer drills and use large 1 1/2" masonary bits to set anchor stakes (large diameter rebar) I think downsizing to a battery operated drill and masonary bit would be the least labor intensive way. I wonder if they make or anyone has tried a battery operated hammer or large diameter nail gun? I can see it now " Man killed by tent stake, officals unable to get to scene due to flat tires. At Lake Powell the anchor points are often covered by rising water and the next person beaching their boat rips the hull open, also people trip and injure themselves on them. Be sure to mark stakes that stick out of the ground and remove them when you leave!

no doubt the cordless impact with lag screws are easier.
I have a story about a rotary hammer drill and a tent stake, LOL.
yes use 1/2 drill for 1/2 rebar.
to get the stakes back out use a pick. put one end of the pick under the hook of the stake and step on the other end of the pick. pops them right out. the pick is a lever and your body weight is the force. highdesertranger

I just use my 2 Lb hammer to drive the pointed rebar stakes in that I bought in Quartzsite at H&H tool (I think that is the name of the place). 3/8" X 18" rebar with a loop welded on to run your guyline through. I point the loop away from whatever I am staking down so the guyline pulles against the rebar and not the welded on loop. The loop just keeps the guyline in place. Then I use the same hammer to tap sideways around the stake to loosen it so I can pull it out by hand.

YMMV

With my lag bolt stakes I just reverse the impact and they screw out but a little upward pressure helps so some times I just cock the impact at an angle and pull up or with a gloved hand lift up on the plastic washers I use on the lag bolt. Do remember to remove the ball bungees or what ever you have attached to the stake before screwing it out as it will catch, wind up and break, don't ask me how I know.

WanderingRose said:
Maybe sand in bags in your corners?

Can probably purchase that inexpensively many places, or scoop it up if allowed.   :angel:

I may do that since I don't have a drill but not for several days. My knee is swollen and doing even basic things is difficult. Someone pm'd me to help but the thread was moved because it was in the women's forum and he was a man and his messages were also removed. There are some boulders around the fire pit but they look like they belong there. Not possible to scoop up sand atthis spot. I'll consider moving later to a sandy spot if there is one.

Some great info, thanks!  I'm in a class B with limited space and was going to leave behind my 18v Ryobi hammer drill when I hit the road but I wonder if that might be handy for drilling for rebar stakes.  Would the hammer drill be more effective in desert concrete than the  regular 18v drill that I'm already bringing anyway?

Perhaps paired with this carbide tipped drill bit?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RHBT  

Or is there something even better for Quartzsite conditions?

It is like drilling into old concrete and some rocks won't move aside. I use the new improved Ryobi impact and lag bolts and still have use a sledge hammer on some but I think a masonary bit and hammer drill would work, I think as hot as Ryobi drills get you would be taking a chance on burning up both a regular drill in my opinion.

The rebar stakes are easy to remove if you turn them using channel locks or another stake placed though the ring. Turn a few times and they come right out. I think they are 1.50 at the hardware store. I just pound them in with a small sledge. I've done it quite a few times in and around Quartzsite so I know it works

Latest posts