Need advice on choosing my rv

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connell857

Reaction score
' Bear with me here. I have to use my voice talk Because I ama horrible spelling. And sometimes it just decide to put down whatever it wants to say not what I said.

I have a small savings. It is taken me years to do. And my husband left me a couple years ago. So this is all I have now. Plus the fact that I'm going to Social Security in a couple years. Which we know of how much that it's (not a lot ). I'm going to go ahead and tell you the amount because without knowing I don't believe it should be able to give me any  advise. 

$40,000. Maybe 45  two years . I have good credit. And could take out a loan.
 I work at Walmart go together for 25 years. So I make a decent amount of money per hour. Unlike other people who are just starting out. As I'm getting older I'm finding it harder to find jobs that I can do. But I can still do it.  I am 49 Now. Whoops actually I'm 59. That actually just came out of my mouth it's 59 because obviously I want to be 59 
 I have been checking out trailers to see which ones that I'm comfortable. I could do a B+ for the slide out. Or a small c  with one slide out. Perhaps by the couch. So that I don't have to slide it  unless I want to. 
 So I know the size that I'm comfortable with. It's just me and my dog. 
 I think there's a lot of stuff I could do. On the road.

Question how do I use this 40,000 correctly . Not the best with money. I have had a problem buying things emotionly. Like when I saw that brand-new Sunseeker 22 feet. For $78,000.
The man told me it would only be like $500 a month payments. With $30,000 down. It's pretty believe me with nothing. And I know I need to keep the savings. So anyway I'm throwing this all there to you guys.

Help me out  what would you do? How would you spend that money or not. 

I'm bout ready to go to work for eight hours so I won't be able to answer any of you after I post this for a little while. Maybe on my next break for lunch. Any device with the appreciated.
 Once again sorry for all the errors in my spelling or whatever. I don't post much so I have a little problem. I'll try to get better

dont buy new,get something a couple years old for 1/2 of the price and let the prior owner work out the bugs and do upgrades

and dont worry about the spelling,i have every spellcheck know to man turned on and still dont get it right

Used, not new. By buying something that's been off the lot a few years you get a much better price and chances are it's only been used a total of a few weeks overall.

Look at your own skills. For example: If you know nothing about engine repair, aim for something with an excellent engine and plan on fixing up the inside if needed. If you can turn a wrench but won't be clambering on the roof to fix leaks, find a unit that's been stored indoors and maybe have it professionally resealed.

I would ( I did) decide how much money I had to spend on a vehicle and set aside half for major repairs. I had just about 40K and decided I wanted to spend less than 20k on the vehicle including major repairs. This ended up being 10K for the vehicle, 10k set aside for major repairs in the first year and 20k set aside for repairs for the next ten years. My situation is a little tighter than yours because I have only savings to last me for 8 years until I can tap my IRAs so I absolutely didn't want to risk running out of money, hence the low numbers.

No one needs payments when they are on a fixed income.

Keep looking at vehicles. It's the best way short of renting to figure out what configurations suit you. My brother has a trailer that is about the same interior length as my little Toyhome but it has less practical storage and more floor space. It totally wouldn't work for the way I live and if I hadn't really thought about it I might have chosen something that looks a little nicer but is less practical.

Think about what you'd like to do. Do you plan to travel? Stay in one place mostly? Snowbird between seasonal locations?

It sounds like you know what kind of interior space would work for you but don't forget that layout contributes to how comfortable the rv feels for you.

Personally, I would not take out a loan. Far too many people end up "upside down" doing this where they owe more than the RV is worth. I have seen people get in a real bind with that. If one shops carefully, the $40,000 should be more than enough and leave a little for necessary repairs. During the winter, prices will be more negotiable than in the spring.

Knowing the area of the country would help, if comfortable providing that. Prices can vary wildly depending on location. There are some manufacturers who are no longer in business who made long lasting units and if you find someone that cared for them, they can be a real treasure.

This book is fairly good, doesn't touch on all the worthy used motorhomes, but will help ask questions that will get the salespeople thinking you can't be taken advantage of easily. Also, smaller dealers are much more pleasant to work with, usually, than the larger ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Buying-Used-...1480786885&sr=8-1&keywords=buying+a+motorhome

This website seems great at providing input once someone is thinking about a particular unit, so keep that in mind.

Snow Gypsy said:
Personally, I would not take out a loan.  Far too many people end up "upside down" doing this where they owe more than the RV is worth.  I have seen people get in a real bind with that.  If one shops carefully, the $40,000 should be more than enough and leave a little for necessary repairs.  During the winter, prices will be more negotiable than in the spring.  

Knowing the area of the country would help, if comfortable providing that.  Prices can vary wildly depending on location.  There are some manufacturers who are no longer in business who made long lasting units and if you find someone that cared for them, they can be a real treasure.

This book is fairly good, doesn't touch on all the worthy used motorhomes, but will help ask questions that will get the salespeople thinking you can't be taken advantage of easily.  Also, smaller dealers are much more pleasant to work with, usually, than the larger ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Buying-Used-...1480786885&sr=8-1&keywords=buying+a+motorhome

This website seems great at providing input once someone is thinking about a particular unit, so keep that in mind.
 I'm not sure if I'm replying quickly here with me. Yes I'm feeling very uncomfortable about getting loan.  Into years I will have my car totally paid off. A little tiny  fiesta . Great on gas . If I have a Goodnuf engine on the class c. I might even pull it if I want to. But I do know I need at least v8 or v10 for that 

jester said:
Used, not new.  By buying something that's been off the lot a few years you get a much better price and chances are it's only been used a total of a few weeks overall.

Look at your own skills.  For example:  If you know nothing about engine repair, aim for something with an excellent engine and plan on fixing up the inside if needed.  If you can turn a wrench but won't be clambering on the roof to fix leaks, find a unit that's been stored indoors and maybe have it professionally resealed.

I would ( I did) decide how much money I had to spend on a vehicle and set aside half for major repairs.  I had just about 40K and decided I wanted to spend less than 20k on the vehicle including major repairs. This ended up being 10K for the vehicle, 10k set aside for major repairs in the first year and 20k set aside for repairs for the next ten years.  My situation is a little tighter than yours because I have only savings to last me for 8 years until I can tap my IRAs so I absolutely didn't want to risk running out of money, hence the low numbers.

Keep looking at vehicles.  It's the best way short of renting to figure out what configurations suit you.  My brother has a trailer that is about the same interior length as my little Toyhome but it has less practical storage and more floor space.  It totally wouldn't work for the way I live and if I hadn't really thought about it I might have chosen something that looks a little nicer but is less practical.

Think about what you'd like to do.  Do you plan to travel?  Stay in one place mostly?  Snowbird between seasonal locations?

It sounds like you know what kind of interior space would work for you but don't forget that layout contributes to how comfortable the rv feels for you.

I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do about work. I make $17 an hour Walmart. I'm thinking maybe I could split my dear do 60 months here in Alabama. And six months up north in the summer. Another Walmart . You only problem with that. Is that you end up just doing whatever they want you to do. Which means if they have a problem area. That's where you're going to end up. Now I'm pretty good at handling this. Because I have so many years at Walmart. But he can wear on you. So I don't know how long it would feel about me spending so  for places but I think it might be a cool idea. What do you think. Or I could go ahead and retire from Walmart. And doing the jobs that people do on the road. I'm not scared to do it. How do you done Walmart for 25 years.  You're not scared to do most things.

jester said:
Used, not new.  By buying something that's been off the lot a few years you get a much better price and chances are it's only been used a total of a few weeks overall.

Look at your own skills.  For example:  If you know nothing about engine repair, aim for something with an excellent engine and plan on fixing up the inside if needed.  If you can turn a wrench but won't be clambering on the roof to fix leaks, find a unit that's been stored indoors and maybe have it professionally resealed.

I would ( I did) decide how much money I had to spend on a vehicle and set aside half for major repairs.  I had just about 40K and decided I wanted to spend less than 20k on the vehicle including major repairs. This ended up being 10K for the vehicle, 10k set aside for major repairs in the first year and 20k set aside for repairs for the next ten years.  My situation is a little tighter than yours because I have only savings to last me for 8 years until I can tap my IRAs so I absolutely didn't want to risk running out of money, hence the low numbers.

Keep looking at vehicles.  It's the best way short of renting to figure out what configurations suit you.  My brother has a trailer that is about the same interior length as my little Toyhome but it has less practical storage and more floor space.  It totally wouldn't work for the way I live and if I hadn't really thought about it I might have chosen something that looks a little nicer but is less practical.

Think about what you'd like to do.  Do you plan to travel?  Stay in one place mostly?  Snowbird between seasonal locations?

I do believe I'll have to keep working for a few years. I would love to figure out a way that I could just live on S security and my small   Savings .but I don't believe that I have  enough  money for that now. This is another problem then I'll have to work out. If I can get a reliable frv  I will be good .

You can do it!  There is a ton of friendly help here.

You may want to check out some youtube videos with single/widowed/divorced ladies who are thriving in the RV/van life.  Hopefully some of these real-life stories will remove some of the mystery and anxiety of the transition.  It really can be done simply and for not much money.  Definitely doesn't take a new or fancy RV to do it. 

I think a person with a carefully-chosen RV and willingness to boondock/camp and live frugally could live on SS alone.  I have shared in this forum that, due to cheapness frugality and rapid debt paydown,  I currently live a stationary life on less money than my SS check will be.  

Have you seen what your SS is projected to be yet?

Sidenote, and you don't have to react to this.  If your ex isn't legally an ex yet he might be able to access your savings.  Remember to protect yourself.

jester said:
This is so smart, Jester.  I am going to integrate this approach into my own plans.  Maybe set up a separate account to hold repair funds.

I think you could try rvtrader.com to find a used class c rv in the $20,000 to $25000 range that is maybe 10 years old but less than 50,00 miles . The resales from Cruise America catch your eye but they usually have a whopping 125,000 miles on them. Way too much usage. This is a very safe place to start and then move up in price a little to find what really makes you happy. Cheers, Bob Kennedy

The first thing that needs to happen IMO is that you do some serious figuring out exactly what type of RV you want to buy!

Not all are created equal and it will take some studying and thinking to figure out what will work best for you.

Here's just a handful of questions I had to ask myself and get honest answers to BEFORE I chose what vehicle I wanted.

Do you want access to the living quarters from the drivers seat.
How much storage do you need.
Do you need a bed on the same level as the rest of your 'home' or are you okay with climbing in to an above level bed at  night.
Do you want a bed that is not something else - ie the couch or the dinette.
How big a vehicle are you comfortable driving.
Do you want to be able to leave your home parked while you go touring in a car.
Can you live without an oven.
Is an onboard shower absolutely necessary or can you live with buying showers and using a solar shower.

I've probably got 50 more questions for you... :D  but this is a good start!

Once you've figured out whether you need a Class B, a C or an A or whether you want to go to a travel trailer and a tow vehicle or a truck camper, then we can start figuring out budget and what type of each of those will work best for you.

Oh, and about that budget. If it were me, I'd be looking at 10 to 15 G for the vehicle and tucking the rest away as part of your life savings.

No debt load at all and yes, you can learn to live on less than what SS gives you, particularly if you like to even work a few months of the year like in some nice campground. Your years at W/M will come in handy on a resume for something like that - if you can handle that many years at W/M you can handle just about anything. Worst case scenario, you take a part time job at a W/M near where you want to spend a season.

Bob Kennedy said:
I think you could try rvtrader.com to find a used class c rv in the $20,000 to $25000 range that is maybe 10 years old but less than 50,00 miles . The resales from Cruise America catch your eye but they usually have a whopping 125,000 miles on them. Way too much usage. This is a very safe place to start and then move up in price a little to find what really makes you happy. Cheers, Bob Kennedy

I think that sounds like a very solid plan. From what I can see on that website. I'll have to go out to 20,000. Anything under that looks like it might be too old. I'm not that handy to fix  too many problems. Thank you very much.

Here would be my thinking:

$20,000: RV
$ 1,000: Repairs
$ 1,000: C-Head composting toilet installed
$ 3,000: Solar:
$ 5,000 Emergency Fund:
======
$30,000 Total

You'll be set up extremely well to boondock which will save you a huge amount of money instead of staying in RV Parks and it will make your heart sing!!Save the other $10,000 to travel on and tide you over till retirement or just add it to your emergency fund.

Have you thought about towing an economy car, I think it is a very, very good idea. Figure $500-$1000 to set it up to tow.

akrvbob said:
Here would be my thinking:

$20,000: RV
$ 1,000: Repairs
$ 1,000: C-Head composting toilet installed
$ 3,000: Solar:
$ 5,000 Emergency Fund:
======
$30,000 Total

You'll be set up extremely well to boondock which will save you a huge amount of money instead of staying in RV Parks and it will make your heart sing!!Save the other $10,000 to travel on and tide you over till retirement or just add it to your emergency fund.

Have you thought about towing an economy car, I think it is a very, very good idea. Figure $500-$1000 to set it up to tow.

Thank you so much that gives me a good structure to look at. Yes I do have other economy car. A little Ford fiesta that I will be have paid off in two years. 

As for the composting toilet. I'm not so sure. Don't give me wrong I researched it and was willing to give it a try. But after a little more research I found out that I might be just a little too old for the composting toilet. Not to get into any details but it sounds like I might have a problem with it . See if I can get around other people who use it all the time maybe I won't be so scared to put the money out for it. And give it a try. 
 But the rest of your plan sounds great. I was trying to think of getting an RV for around 12,000. But I just couldn't see living in something that old. I'm pretty sure everything would be falling apart and I'm just not very good at repairing things. 
 I do go on RV trader. And there are some very nice older class c's  that I would be very comfortable in. So I need think that your advice on 20,000 is correct. 
 Anyway ,thank you so much for your advice .
 I hope to get to meet all of you at one of the  rSR's. I wanted to go this year very badly. But I do not turn 59 1/2 until 1 February. Then the penalty for my 401 will be gone. So maybe next year. That way I should have my RV and things set up .
 Tootles for now. Once again thank you you're very sweet.

Connell857 said:
rs. 

As for the composting toilet. I'm not so sure. Don't give me wrong I researched it and was willing to give it a try. But after a little more research I found out that I might be just a little too old for the composting toilet. Not to get into any details but it sounds like I might have a problem with it . See if I can get around other people who use it all the time maybe I won't be so scared to put the money out for it. And give it a try. 

Haha, I'm, ahem, a decade older than you and I've used the C-Head for a year now!

I'd never go back to either a porta pottie nor a regular RV toilet/holding tank.

Aside from it never having a smell, except when I'm emptying the solid tank once every 5 to 6 weeks, I use no chemicals and pay no dump station fees. My only cost is $4 to 6 every 3 months app. for a cube of pine shavings from the pet dept at W/M.

When you're ready, we'll discuss it more.

This book is fairly good, doesn't touch on all the worthy used motorhomes, but will help ask questions that will get the salespeople thinking you can't be taken advantage of easily.  Also, smaller dealers are much more pleasant to work with, usually, than the larger ones.

Note to OP and onlookers:  The kindle version of the book is 5x cheaper than the "dead trees" version.  

One does not need an actual kindle to read kindle-format books.  There is a free kindle app for PC, android, and iOS so you can read on a tablet, phone, laptop, whatever.

Sidenote:  the ebook is also free-to-read for Kindle Unlimited subscribers but I am not necessarily endorsing KU.

Almost ThereThe first thing that needs to happen IMO is that you do some serious figuring out exactly what type of RV you want to buy!

Not all are created equal and it will take some studying and thinking to figure out what will work best for you.

Here's just a handful of questions I had to ask myself and get honest answers to BEFORE I chose what vehicle I wanted.

Do you need a bed on the same level as the rest of your 'home' or are you okay with climbing in to an above level bed at  night.
Is an onboard shower absolutely necessary or can you live with buying showers and using a solar shower.

Once you've figured out whether you need a Class B, a C or an A or whether you want to go to a travel trailer and a tow vehicle or a truck camper, then we can start figuring out budget and what type of each of those will work best for you.

Oh, and about that budget. If it were me, I'd be looking at 10 to 15 G for the vehicle and tucking the rest away as part of your life savings.

No debt load at all and yes, you can learn to live on less than what SS gives you, particularly if you like to even work a few months of the year like in some nice campground. Your years at W/M will come in handy on a resume for something like that - if you can handle that many years at W/M you can handle just about anything. Worst case scenario, you take a part time job at a W/M near where you want to spend a season.

Thank you so much for your time And  encouragement .
 I have been running around checking out class b's and class c's
 A lot of fun. 
 I'm thinking a class C. About 22 feet. 
 It seems anything smaller than that, Not so comfortable. Plus I have a dog. True my dog is a tiny Chihuahua. But I think some of the class b's  or just a little too claustrophobic for me. 
 I plan on driving like a snail around the country. 
 Maybe just  six months to one place. And then in six months to another place (starting out )
 My biggest problem is how much to spend on it. 
 Thank you for your help you're very kind

Connell857 said:
Almost ThereThe first thing that needs to happen IMO is that you do some serious figuring out exactly what type of RV you want to buy!

Thank you so much for your time And  encouragement .
 I have been running around checking out class b's and class c's
 A lot of fun. 
 I'm thinking a class C. About 22 feet. 
 It seems anything smaller than that, Not so comfortable. Plus I have a dog. True my dog is a tiny Chihuahua. But I think some of the class b's  or just a little too claustrophobic for me. 
 I plan on driving like a snail around the country. 
 Maybe just  six months to one place. And then in six months to another place (starting out )
 My biggest problem is how much to spend on it. 
 Thank you for your help you're very kind

PS . Thinking maybe a Sunseeker.   Four windads. V8,,?

One thing to consider with any RV is where does it all go. I didn't think of it when we picked out the trailer but I sure did when I was looking to maybe get a Class A or C. A Class A with basement storage would be wonderful because a lot down there wouldn't be everyday items. I also wouldn't have to lift a bed or dig under the dinettes to get to things on a regular basis. It makes the living area less cluttered.

Bob laid it out impecably re budget, and Almost There gave the the questions you need to answer before buying
Personally myelf with a 40 K budget and your space requirement I'd be looking for a class c with a bed I don't need to climb to or break down, your fiesta can be hauled on a tow dolly (hooray for Front wheel drive)
if your WM job isn't killing you, I'd keep it, maybe go part time and hire on at other WMs as you go
Just my two cents, which is likely worth a plugged nickel :D