Neat trick for guys shavin' in the field...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never committed on this thread until now.  Hot towels, a mug of shaving soap and a straight razor for me.  Every morning when I drink my second cup of coffee, I sharpen all my blades.  I wear two on my right side daily.  It is by far the best and cheapest shave I can think of.  In my hygene tote, I have a fusion with a stick of replacements, but have not touched them but once maybe twice in the last year.  I hate to shave, so when I do it is course and thick. 

I also never thought about keeping the blades dry, but I do tap the razor head to knock out any hair stubble stuck in between the blades. I use the "Good News" double blades when I can find them. I buy a bag or two at a time, as they will last for a year or two at the rate I use them. Unfortunately, all I find most of the time is the newer ones with that white poopenshlickem strip that makes me feel like I just got slimed. Why can't they put this blasted thing UNDER the cutting edge where it will do some good? I need lube BEFORE the blades scrape my face off....not after.
I cover my face with a hot, wet towel or soap before shaving. I hate dry-shaving.

I used to use an electric razor for many years. When my Norelco eventually stopped working I decided go the "old fashioned" way with the blades. I go to some version of a "Dollar" type store and buy the cheapest generic razors on sale that I can find. Most recently I found a package of double blade razors with 12 per bag. They normally come with 10 razors per bag. In this case it had 2 bonus razors per bag. You can't really beat that price. I may buy more in bulk when I hit the road so I'll have a good supply on hand.

I have a light beard so I can skip a day so buying the discount razors is very inexpensive. I'm tempted to buy one of those "old fashioned" razors that open up and you insert a single razor blade. I've found a few on Amazon.com that come with 10 razor blades for around $5.00 & change. That's a heck of a deal.

Ever since my Norelco stopped working I've never regretted starting shaving the "old fashioned" way. I absolutely love how well it works. There is no going back to electric razors for my anytime in the near future.

I have a weird beard. I let my goatee grow whichever way it wants to, but the fur on my cheeks don't grow even. I use my hair buzzers to buzz my cheeks about once a week. If I could grow an even beard, I wouldn't buzz at all.

My 2 cents....I heard that mineral oil works the same as alcohol to prevent rusting. I've had about 1/2 inch of it in an old tuna can that I rest my razor in and have found that not only does it keep the blade sharp longer but it really lubes up the shave and leaves your skin soft(er) to boot.
KinA

if you use the safety razor and buy 100 plades at a time off the internet you can save plenty of cash
my setup cost me about 8 bucks three years back off of ebay and I have several years worth of double edge blades left for several more years

I just looked on amazon and for 100 blades you can get set up for 11 clams.

reasonable in my book

c_hasbeen, I'm gonna' have to try one of those double-edge razors. I recall dad using one for years before they became nearly extinct due to the "good news" type of razor in the 70's. Sounds like it may be way cheaper.

By the way....I tried, and still have, my old $7 straight razor I got at some flea market 30 years ago. I made my own strop for it. It was ok for getting rid of the beard, but I still had to use something else to get closer in. Too much fur, I guess, or not a good enough job of sharpening. They are hazardous for the impatient.

Also, I wonder if anyone else has ever tried a "Rolls Razor" besides me?

I've been using a toothbrush to clean out disposable razer blades for years. Didn't know about the drying, rubbing alcohol, or mineral oil tricks. Will try that.

I've shaved with no lubricants, just water, using the rearview mirror of my car. I've also used olive oil. Good point is I usually have it on hand for other reasons, so it's not extra purchase or space. Bad point is it will stain your shirt when you dribble.

I often prefer to find a "one-seater" bathroom with a mirror, somewhere that's not too busy, so I can shave in peace with a decent view and running water. Not every city has that readily available though. The Asheville Mall does.

In a real pinch you can use "baby" oil w/out water. Use as little as will be effective ( in certain situations a few drops will suffice). It can get a bit messy.

J Grit

you know those double edge flat blades, not sure if anyone uses them anymore or if you can still get them but my Grandfather used to sharpen his every morning before using it, in a glass, the same scratched glass. He simply put a couple of fingers on the blade, inside the glass and rolled it from side to side for a few minutes.

Personally I buy those disposable 10 packs, doubles or singles, shave every couple of days, use up a couple packs of them a year, if that, and a bar of soap as lubricant. works out to about 10 bucks a year, plus the soap.

Sounds like a good idea! I am trying an experiment. I use soap and a multi-blade but it clogs. So I tried a product called Edge, a shaving cream and no clogging. I use one razor for almost 4 months by drying it when I am finished. If I can get it not to clog may be I can use it longer. That would make up for the cost of the shaving cream. Like I say it is just an experiment, so will see what happens.

Latest posts