My winter wanderings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USExplorer

Reaction score
I'm about to set out on the next leg of my winter wanderings. I left my job with the Appalachian Mountain Club in the White Mountains of New Hampshire on 11/11, and took a few days heading south. I visited my parents in North Carolina for Thanksgiving, and got my camper inspected. I then headed further south, ending up at a hobby farm outside of Eustis Florida. A week later, I found out my dad was coming down this way to visit Key West, so I caught a ride with him there and back. I will be leaving the Eustis area on 12/21 and heading west to Arizona.

Definitely the tl;dr version.

I left Eustis Florida around 8 am, heading toward Ocala on US-27. Ocala looks like any other Florida city, surrounded by acres of sprawl. Only a tiny "historic section" is left untouched by multi-lane boulevards, giant billboards, and traffic lights. Christmas music was blaring through loudspeakers downtown. I hoped to run into Rainbow family members heading to the national forest for their 2016 gathering, but didn't find any downtown. 

Outside of Ocala, the sprawl disappears, and US-27 travels peacefully through beautiful horse ranches and gently rolling sand hills. The small town of Williston is dominated by equine vets, feed stores, and other horse-related businesses. I stop to cook lunch beside the highway, turning my hood into a level table by parking with my back wheels in the shallow roadside ditch. The weather was beautiful, sunny and 80 degrees, but the breeze hampered my unshielded camp stove. The Williston water tower was visible several miles away down the arrow-straight highway. 

In Chiefland, I stopped to visit the library and access the Internet. Rain in the forecast, very warm and humid nights ahead. When the overnight dew point is 65 degrees or higher, I have a hard time sleeping, especially now that I don't have a ventilation fan. There was not much of a town center at all, just residential blocks and a commercial strip along the multi-lane highway.

Nine miles up the road, I stopped at the southernmost road crossing of the Suwannee River, of Stephen Foster fame. The Gulf is still 25 miles away. The river is a wide, deep, black water channel, with white sand banks alternating with limestone chunks. Under the bridge is a long-abandoned bum's cot, and the regular spray-painted love declarations. A park is established where Fort Fanning stood during the Seminole War. A little up the road, Fanning Springs State Park charges $2.00 for pedestrian access. As closing time is only a half hour away, I pass on the opportunity.

A map of the area shows the Florida Greenway rail trail crossing of the Suwannee River a few miles up. A sign says "Closed at Sundown." I ignore it and walk out down the path as the moon shines through thin clouds. The temperature is a balmy 72 degrees, and the river returns a rippled lunar reflection. On a private waterfront patio a few yards away, a retired couple lean on the railing and watch the quiet black water silently. Then a huge mosquito lands on my arm and my reverie is broken.

I park for the night along the sandy access road paralleling US-27 and the rail trail, and pitch my tent. The night is very muggy, with the occasional whiff of wind. I walk out down the rail trail, crossing paths with two kids bicycling by the light of the moon. 

After a night of drizzle and far too much humidity, I set out on a detour down to the Nature Coast. This part of the Florida Gulf Coast is unique to Florida in that the marshy coast is almost completely undeveloped. Routes 27 and 358 lead through endless miles of pine forests, sandy back roads stretching in every direction. I cross the Steinhatchee River into the sleepy town of Steinhatchee, parking under the bridge so I can open my windows without getting wet. Steinhatchee is a very sleepy fishing town, with next to no resort development. On the west end of town, I can see across a mile of marshes at the mouth of the river into the Gulf of Mexico. The rain sets in again and the temperature drops by ten degrees. On down the Beach Road, which looks like any other deserted back road through the Florida pines. I turn onto a small developed peninsula called Keaton Beach. Waves are nearly nonexistent, and grass grows a few feet from the beach. I stop to eat lunch and talk to a guy from northeast Arkansas visiting his brother in Gainesville. His son wanted to see the beach, so they chose to travel to this isolated beach community. Yes, they were wearing overalls and had an extremely pronounced accent.

Right now, I'm taking refuge from the dreary weather in the Perry library. They had a five for a dollar book sale. Now I'll have some novels to read for the next couple of days. 

Any other N. Florida visitors or temp residents stuck in the rain?

I camped last night off the side of a dirt road a couple miles from Panacea. Rain, mosquitoes, humidity, Florida in a nutshell. Someone called the sheriff's office to (erroneously) report that my car was blocking the road. The sheriff's deputy was understanding of my situation. This wasn't the first time a cop agreed that I should "[travel the country] while I still can."

I stopped at a boat ramp just across the Ochlockonee Bay and took a walk along the bay, gentle waves and grassy shores. Other than the occasional piece of litter, this part of the coast looked nearly untouched by human habitation. Dense fog encircled the bay and bridge like a protective coat, muffling what little noise there was.

Looking for the real beach, I drove on to Alligator Point. This narrow barrier island ran for four miles in an east-west direction. A single row of modest houses on stilts ran between the quiet Alligator Harbor and the boisterous Gulf. As the wind picked up and the tide came in, the waves grew more boisterous, washing up into the dunes and splashing on the access road, blowing foam up the beach. The island was nearly deserted, this close to the Christmas holiday. 

This section of Florida's Coast along US-98 is called the "Forgotten Coast". Marshy yet sandy, large tracts of pine scrub forest still line the coast, with only the occasional beach shack. Traffic is very light along the two-lane highway, and the establishments have a decidedly local character. In fact, I hadn't seen a chain restaurant or grocery store since Perry, 80 miles back. Forget the Sun Coast, Miami, Key West; this is the Florida I enjoy. If the weather wasn't so miserable, I would enjoy it even more.

Carabelle is a bayside town, compact, quiet, and utilitarian. I stopped in the visitor's center and talked with the lady staffing the desk. She mentioned Tate's Hell State Forest, a nearly impassable morass north of Carabelle named after an extremely unfortunate hunter who got lost in the swamp, ending up just barely alive on the coastal road near Carabelle. He ended up dying from an infection sustained during his privations. Now, the forest is roaded, mapped, and stocked with campgrounds, but it retains its evocative name.

A few pictures of my trip so far.

1323: US-27 through horse ranch country, from my lunch spot. Williston FL water tower in the distance. 
1324: Road-side campsite. Certain parts of the country do not frown on back-road camping. This is one of them.
1331: A major thoroughfare in a bustling coastal city, along Florida's Nature Coast. It feels like stepping back in time. 
1334: Neptune's hallway (a view under the [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Ochlockonee Bay bridge)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1338: The beach as God intended it to be. [/font]

Attachments

• DSCF1323.JPG
    DSCF1323.JPG
    925.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1324.JPG
    DSCF1324.JPG
    938.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1331.JPG
    DSCF1331.JPG
    913.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1334.JPG
    DSCF1334.JPG
    854.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF1338.JPG
    DSCF1338.JPG
    911 KB · Views: 31
Another set of pictures.

1322: Hiding my campstove from the breeze, trying to cook some nasty mac-and-cheese on the shoulder of US-27.
1329: Ghost of a bicycle in a marshy culvert. 
1342: Wind-blown waves threatening to splash over the bouldery barrier keeping Alligator Point connected to the rest of Florida. How fragile the barrier island's hold on terra firma.

Attachments

• DSCF1322.JPG
    DSCF1322.JPG
    900 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF1329.JPG
    DSCF1329.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1342.JPG
    DSCF1342.JPG
    951.7 KB · Views: 27
Glad you've posted pics! Hey, check out:
http://www.amazon.com/Land-Remember...id=1450916451&sr=1-3&keywords=florida+history

Its really an awesome book about Florida, I think you'd really enjoy it. Classify it as historical fiction...the actual people that drive the story through 3 generations are fictional, but the life and development of the state starting around the civil war are very accurate. Honestly, this isn't my genre at all, but a friend pushed the book on me and kept bugging till I finally started it...and couldn't put it down. I've since given it as a gift a few times. I really can't recall ever feeling so entertained as well as educated at the same time ;) Blurb from the description:

A Land Remembered has been ranked #1 Best Florida Book eight times in annual polls conducted by Florida Monthly Magazine.
PIn this best-selling novel, Patrick Smith tells the story of three generations of the MacIveys, a Florida family who battle the hardships of the frontier to rise from a dirt-poor Cracker life to the wealth and standing of real estate tycoons. The story opens in 1858, when Tobias MacIvey arrives in the Florida wilderness to start a new life with his wife and infant son, and ends two generations later in 1968 with Solomon MacIvey, who realizes that the land has been exploited far beyond human need. The sweeping story that emerges is a rich, rugged Florida history featuring a memorable cast of crusty, indomitable Crackers battling wild animals, rustlers, Confederate deserters, mosquitoes, starvation, hurricanes, and freezes to carve a kingdom out of the swamp. But their most formidable adversary turns out to be greed, including finally their own. Love and tenderness are here too: the hopes and passions of each new generation, friendships with the persecuted blacks and Indians, and respect for the land and its wildlife.

A Land Remembered was winner of the Florida Historical Society's Tebeau Prize as the Most Outstanding Florida Historical Novel. Now in its 14th hardcover printing, it has been in print since 1984 and is also available in trade paperback.

pid=\ said:
Nine miles up the road, I stopped at the southernmost road crossing of the Suwannee River, of Stephen Foster fame. 

I spent one night this time last year at Stephen Foster State Park on the upper Suwannee River.  They had an awesome light display and Christmas village theme.  The RV park is too crowded.  I left there and found a place on Swift Creek only a few miles away called Roosters I think. It was on Swift Creek. Paid around $7:00 and I was the only one there.

If you find The Rainbow Family please let me know.  Always wanted to be a gypsy.

Enjoy your travels and post some more pictures if you have time.

@BradKW: I'll see if I can find your book in a library along the way. I've read "Killing Mister Watson", a book also set in Florida's frontier days, and found it very engaging. 

@A SEEKER: Back in February, I took US-90 through the Panhandle. I stopped at Suwannee River park but not the Stephen Foster one. 

After I finished posting yesterday's entry, I took a walk through Carabelle town center, and got to talking with a guy who was standing around on the picnic area pier. His name was Norman, and he was a weathered guy in his 50s, one of those who have been through it all. He had a good job as a skilled laborer in Oklahoma City before his wife divorced him and took most everything he owned. Soon after, he was roughed up by a local gang in a seeming case of mistaken identity, robbed of his last three dollars. He spent two weeks in the hospital with a broken neck, losing his job. He moved on down to South Florida with family, but ended up spending 180 days in jail for unpaid child support. When I talked to him, he had been stuck in Carabelle for nearly a year, broke, unable to find more than a couple hours of work a week, living in a furnished outbuilding provided by a local pastor. He showed me where he spent the summer; a room in an abandoned fish house, windowless, doorless, no utilities, filled with foul trash of all kinds, crawling with cockroaches and rats, suffocatingly airless and swarming with mosquitoes in the summer. Local hoodlums stole whatever he managed to accumulate. He applied for disability back in March but his hearing was repeatedly postponed. He was still waiting to make his case in late December, afraid to leave and undo any progress toward getting payments. The town police knew and tolerated him, as he would regularly clean up the littered streets out of sheer ennui.

We talked for a couple hours, and I learned the ugly side of small town life, one I never see in passing. Nepotism, police harassment, drug abuse, rampant petty theft, feuds. It was still nothing compared to life in Panama City, where he was fortunate to escape alive from both local cops and criminals. I gave him a Christmas gift and wished him luck, then drove into a undeveloped subdivision and parked in a vacant lot at the end of a cul-de-sac. I opened my car door and half a dozen mosquitoes swarmed inside. I put up mosquito netting and enjoyed a restful night's sleep in my clean, comfortable, sheltered SUV. I'm not sure I could cope with spending a summer on the streets in a burnt out town.

Fog obscured the sun next morning, just like it did the last time I passed through this area. Carabelle Beach is a quiet, secluded place, primarily used by locals. I relaxed on the hood of my SUV, reading a book, and waving to a car full of fellow North Carolinians as they left the parking lot. 

The sign for FL-65 signified the point where my route overlapped my spring travels for the second time. The first time was along US-301 in rural southeastern Georgia. While walking across the bay bridge between Eastpoint and Apalachicola, the fog thinned just enough to let the sun turn the choppy bay into a field of diamonds stretching to the foggy horizon. Two large SUVs offered me rides within five minutes of each other. The second one pulled over right next to my SUV as I was walking up to it, and drove away embarrassed after I mentioned it. I was sure to thank them warmly for the offer, though. Norman from Carabelle mentioned that he had to walk much of the way from Carabelle to Panama City, but he did end up getting a ride from a young guy near Port St Joe.

I just finished eating a delicious calzone in the Riverside Cafe in downtown Apalachicola. They have free WiFi. Merry Christmas all.

I'm really envious of your journey. I'm not on the road yet (maybe by next winter). Would you care to share the setup in your Explorer? I'll start my journey in an Escape. It seems like most people setup one side as a bed, then the other for storage. Do you have any tips for living/traveling in the SUV?

Merry Christmas to you, too, Explorer. I want to say that you have a talent for writing and observation. Not that you can tell by my posts on this forum, but I've made my living writing (until recent years in marketing and PR). Thanks for sharing your journey.

Thanks for your encouragement.

More fog rolls into Apalachicola. After finishing a book at the waterfront park, I continue on along my route of the previous spring, running through piney woods into Port St Joe. I attend a Christmas Eve service at the PSJ Methodist church, the first such service I ever attended. After church, I walk down to the waterfront, where the lighthouse is charging ten dollars for full moon viewing. I pass, due to the fog. Out on Jetty Park, the bay is at high tide, gently lapping at a concrete seawall. Various outcasts from Christmas stand around on the pier. An unkempt guy named Jay sits at a picnic table, smoking and listening to a scanner. As I walk by, he makes a random comment and we get into a long discussion of end time Biblical prophecy in relation to current world events. I counter his interpretation by the perspective that every generation thinks their current events are of primary importance. Just before he leaves, he says, "People go through three stages of revelation in their life. You are only in the first. In the fifty-seven summers I've lived on this world, I've seen much of the nature of men. When God opens your eyes, you will understand, too." In town at a harbor-side bar, a musician plays to a non-existent crowd, bursts of song drifting over on the damp breeze. Downtown is quiet, with only one bar doing a sluggish business. 

I choose to camp behind a screen of trees on an abandoned parking lot abutting a fenced off lot overrun with weeds, a couple hundred yards from the jetty. All night into Christmas, quiet souls come and go on the jetty, and the soft bay breeze blows through my open windows. No one notices or bothers me, except for an errant mosquito or two. I have finally acclimated to warm weather sleeping. At 8:00 Christmas day, Jay is back on the jetty, along with several other old folks in battered trucks and cars. He re-affirms the pagan and demonic origins of Christmas to me, then wishes me a good day as I head on down the road.

At Port St Joe Beach, a rich-looking guy walks right up to me and asks me if the beaches are good. I tell him their condition, but he swallows his next question and walks away. In the parking lot is a Mercedes SUV with Michigan plates. Last time I stopped at this beach, I met a bicyclist riding to California with a tiny dog in a trailer. In Mexico Beach, Christmas becomes 25 hours long as I cross into the Central Time Zone. On through the pine forests of Tyndall AFB. A sign says "No Photography Next 8 Miles". Unfortunately, I didn't photograph the sign. In Parker, I stop at Under the Oaks Park, just like the last time. A reformed alcoholic sits at a picnic table, drinking coffee. He cautions me against entering the nightlife in Panama City. "You fall for drinking, and there's no going back." I take the gloomy Yuletide prophet's advice and head through Panama City in the morning light. Other than a preponderance of seedy lounges, it looks like any other struggling city. Down at the beach, huge waves are crashing and the red "High Surf" flag is flying. Heavy, cool fog rolls in, and most of the of the beachgoers flee home. The massive condos and tacky tourist traps sit deserted. I trundle on through planned communities on top of tall dunes until I come upon a dead-end (BRIDGE OUT). Up along US-98, the quiet two-lane is gone and the Florida sprawl covers all unprotected areas. 

Eventually, US-98 crosses Pensacola Bay on a long causeway. A busy fishing pier parallels it for half a mile. The pier (like all piers in this area, it requires an access fee) is lined with anglers of every ethnicity, many of them camped out for the day. One van with Mississippi plates on the pier has half its windows replaced by plastic and cardboard. There is a "Hangin' In There" sticker on the rear bumper. In the main parking lot, a guy clambers into his camper top. Another ratty van is parked near a raging barbeque grill. In downtown Pensacola, dozens of homeless people wander around, rest on benches, or talk with each other. There are multiple panhandlers on every street corner with traffic. A guy in a Ford Explorer Sport Trac asks me if I know the area. I say I just arrived there. He says Are you one of these homeless guys. I said yes but I have a car. He seems satisfied with the answer and drives to a red light. As I walk past him, he looks the other way. I talk to a few of the homeless guys, the only people out on the town on Christmas afternoon. Most of them were taciturn and not in a merry mood.

On across the Perdido River into Alabama. Night falls, but the temperature remains above 75 degrees. The humidity feels to be 95% or thereabouts. I stop in a waterfront park. A fake owl on a lightpost tricks me into sneaking up on it with a camera. Mosquitos hum ferociously in the absurdly warm weather. A sinking feeling in my stomach, as I ran the A/C and drove along US-98. The temperature only rose. I turned down a side road leading to Perdido Beach, a tiny, out of the way community on Perdido Bay. 74 degrees on the bayfront, but clear visibility from a nearby house. I drove on toward Mobile Bay, and the temp began rising again. By the time I hit the bay, it was 78 degrees and 85% or so humidity, hours after dark. I drove along the bayfront highway, hoping for a campsite with a bit of breeze. On a sudden inspiration, I stopped at an ice vendor and bought a bag of ice. After driving through miles of bayfront homes, I pulled into a random empty lot. So much fog had condensed on the outside of my car from the A/C that I had to use my windshield wipers. As soon as I turned the A/C off, the heat poured in. From somewhere I got the harebrained idea that I would stay coolest with the windows closed up. Oh, and the tailgate ajar. 

I woke up at midnight to an infernal whine and a suffocating closeness. In the light of my headlamp, dozens of mosquitoes danced on the ceiling of my truck and cruised back and forth. I closed the tailgate, grabbed the mosquito nets, hastily installed them outside, and opened the windows. I spent nearly an hour killing the buggers, leaving the ceiling of my truck covered in little bloodstains. Still, they came in one by one through an apparent wrinkle in the mosquito netting, and I woke up numerous times thereafter to kill more of them, trying to discern if the whine came from the frantic posse trying to batter down the netting or an intruder cruising inside. I cooled down by dipping my hands in a cooler full of ice, making the heat tolerable. The bag of ice looks to have torn, because the next morning it was half as full as when I got it, with no water in the bottom. The gallon of meltwater is unaccounted for. 

76 degrees in the morning; the hottest summer night I spent in New Hampshire dipped to 70. God's sense of humor: "You're dreaming of a warm Christmas? How about this!" I stop at a Walmart in Daphne and pick up a few fruitcakes discounted at 75%. They will make good emergency foods. I cross the Blakely River on the 90/98 bridge and stop at Meaher State Park, paying the two dollars entrance fee. I find the campground shower and clean up (joy!), then head on under the Mobile River through a deep tunnel, getting dumped in downtown Mobile. The library is closed for the week, but a whole lot of us are using the open WiFi outside it. 

Pictures next post.

1345: A moon-like sun peering through the fog. 
1346: Graveyard of stumps, cypress by the rotted "knees" surrounding each one.
1348: A-cola Bay bridge, up and away.
1350: My bayside "campsite" in downtown Port St Joe
1351: Bridge over the Intracoastal waterway

Attachments

• DSCF1345.JPG
    DSCF1345.JPG
    943.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF1346.JPG
    DSCF1346.JPG
    949.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1348.JPG
    DSCF1348.JPG
    899.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1350.JPG
    DSCF1350.JPG
    953.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1351.JPG
    DSCF1351.JPG
    939.1 KB · Views: 16
1352: Abandoned old US-98, abruptly ending.
1354: Longest Christmas of my life.
1355: Photography is a federal crime.
1356: Typical tacky tourist trap turning terrific terrain to trash.  :dodgy:
1360: A plastic owl looks at Florida and the 98 bridge.

Attachments

• DSCF1352.JPG
    DSCF1352.JPG
    899.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1354.JPG
    DSCF1354.JPG
    910.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1355.JPG
    DSCF1355.JPG
    958.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1356.JPG
    DSCF1356.JPG
    942.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF1360.JPG
    DSCF1360.JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 20
Sounds too hot and miserable. Turn north till you cool off and get rid of those awful skeeters!

I walk over to the Holiday Inn and ask if they allow members of the public to take pictures from the Skyview Lounge. They agree, and I punch the 17th floor in the elevator. There is no 13th floor. From the top, the buildings of downtown Mobile are visible in the foreground, while Mobile Bay recedes into the Gulf in the background. Low hills stand to the north and west. 

The Port of Mobile is busy, and a railroad runs a short distance away from the riverfront. The tracks pass right through the center of a giant, glittering conference center, part of those ubiquitous riverfront revitalization projects. A pricey museum also sits on the riverfront, bedecked in stainless steel and temper glass. A couple blocks away, single-story storefronts lie abandoned, although a few have been taken over by an art movement, "Peace through Art" or something like that. One sheltered doorway is covered with dozens of names, names of bums and wanderers who have taken shelter in it for a night. On the more well-to-do side of town, a guy driving a pickup with a home-made camper mounted in the bed takes his dog for a walk. He has Washington state license plates. There are no parking meters on the streets. 

I choose Route 90 and head back down toward the Gulf. Miles of ratty loan shops and other commercial detritus line the main highway out of town. At a local supermarket, I am the only white person in the place. I arrive at the Red Cross blood center, but they are done collecting donations for the day. 

A few miles this side of the state line, I drive around a turn just as two pickups are spinning and tumbling from a collision. When they come to a stop, smoke appears to be pouring from the upright truck with the pulverized front end. I grab my fire extinguisher (which is barely big enough to put out a cigarette) and run in. The busted radiator ceases steaming, and two guys stumble out and sit down on the side of the road. Oncoming cars turn around. The other pickup is has rolled upright, and a couple exit slowly. Everyone is ambulatory, although stunned. I light an emergency flare behind my stopped car, put on my CERT vest, and clear the debris from the oncoming lane, which mainly consisted of a wheel with the rotor still attached. A cop and some firefighters arrive, and I explain what I saw and did before being cleared and driving on. As I can't find the accident in the news, it appears there were no serious injuries.

I cross an invisible line into Mississippi, entering the state for the first time. The road widens to four lanes, and big tufts of grass grow on the paved shoulder. The ugly sprawl of Pascagoula approaches. I buy a bag of oranges from Walmart, and drive into the small, quiet downtown. Signs proclaim Pascagoula to be Mississippi's Flagship City, which ain't sayin' much for the rest of the state. An eight lane highway crosses Pascagoula Bay over one of the largest ship building facilities in the nation. At the base, a squat, ugly lighthouse rebuilt from a wrecked one on a disappearing barrier island looks out over very little through artificially warped glass panes. Admission was two dollars. 

The beach a couple miles away is obscured in fog, and a powerful cool breeze portends the coming storm. At the point, I talk to an unsuccessful fisherman unable to launch his boat for the dense fog. On a long pier, several families fish the bay after dark while their kids nap or chatter. I find a potential campsite in a wooded lot, but it is very muddy and I have a phobia of mud after getting stuck once in Ohio. Back by the bay bridge, I find a place to park at the base, in a vacant lot surrounded by an abandoned factory and shielded from view by a vine-covered fence. The temperature is very warm, but a breeze blows fitfully. The bridge traffic is background white noise far overhead. Around 9 pm, a drunk redneck in a small pickup turns into the vacant lot and does a donut in the grass, tearing out down the potholed street again. In town, the only non-franchise restaurant/bar is packed, with a live band playing bluegrass music. Other than another unsigned drinking establishment, the downtown is dead. Half the town's people live elsewhere, working in the shipyard and going home for the weekend. 

The sun is visible for a change this morning, with the last of the warm weather. I choose to attend the First Baptist Church for their 11 am service. As I walk up to the door, I am hit by a sudden recollection. I greet the first guy I meet. 
"This may be a whimsical question, but have you ever heard of Ray Stevens?" 
"Sure." He smiles.
"Is this the church with the Mississippi Squirrel Revival?" 
Well, the 'First Self-Righteous Church', most folks think it was this one." 

Later on, he introduces me as "the guy who came for the squirrel revival". "Honest, I didn't think of it until after I already stopped here!"

The day the squirrel went berzerk
In the First Self-Righteous Church
In that sleepy little town of Pascagoula
It was a fight for survival
That broke out in revival
They were jumping pews and shouting "Hallelujah!"

Here is a link to the song: 

Sitting outside the Chamber of Commerce using the free WiFi, a couple pull up and ask me if I need anything. Upon my request, they give me the free Mississippi state highway map. This brings the total of my state highway maps to 18. 

80 degrees, partly sunny, breezy, reasonable humidity. What a winter.

1368: Downtown Mobile from the Skyview Lounge
1369: Real Mobile from the Skyview Lounge
1373: Train roaring out of the conference center
1375: Sign the registry, please.
1376: Pascagoula River bridge, from the transplanted lighthouse

Attachments

• DSCF1368.JPG
    DSCF1368.JPG
    953.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF1369.JPG
    DSCF1369.JPG
    957.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF1373.JPG
    DSCF1373.JPG
    927.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF1375.JPG
    DSCF1375.JPG
    933.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF1376.JPG
    DSCF1376.JPG
    934.3 KB · Views: 11
I drive into Ocean Springs on Sunday afternoon and park along the beachfront, then walk up to the Biloxi Bay bridge. Dozens of walkers and joggers enjoy the stiff breeze and the view over the bay from the high bridge. In Biloxi, the high rise casinos dominate the skyline, in stark contrast to the rest of the city. Waterfront lot after lot stands vacantly for sale, driveways leading to nowhere. The beaches are dirty and littered with numerous dead fish from a red tide. Most of the streets are gravel, the pavement having been torn away due to nearly impassable potholing. The only roads in good condition are those leading to the casinos. A pack of stray dogs barks at me as I walk down a street. An elevated interstate highway spur cuts the city in half, providing a noisy shelter for dozens of homeless people. The city is located on a long, low peninsula, completely devastated when Hurricane Katrina made landfall. The high water mark stands almost 25 feet over my head on the shoreline. A decade later, most of the debris has been cleared away, but the city is far from recovered, except for the casinos.

I turn onto Pass Road and drive on through miles of 24-hour pawn shops, loan sharks, and other businesses who make a living off gambling addicts. Just before Route 49, I turn down a random side street and end up at the First [deleted] Church of Gulfport. The evening service is very sparsely attended. Afterwards, a guy named Jerry offers to let me camp behind the church, where he lives in an RV. After I drive inside the gate, he closes and locks it "for our safety". He opens the door to a large cinder-block building.

"You're welcome to stay here in the church auditorium building tonight. Here's the laundry room, here's the showers, and you can put your cot on the stage if you want. I can lock the door for you if you want, but then you won't be able to get back in if it is closed behind you."

"It's all right, I'm not much concerned about security."

He pulls back his jacket to reveal a black handgun in an IWB holster. "I take care of my own security too. I'm gonna turn in for the night, if you need anything, just come up and ask."

He then retires to his camper to watch TV. I place my bed at the foot of the stage, then take a shower and wash my clothes. The modern miracle that is air conditioning removes the humidity from the air, and I get a great night's sleep. Around 5:30, Jerry opens the door and starts shining a flashlight around before spotting me in the large room.

"Your car door is open. It's fixing to rain really hard out there in the next few hours, so I wanted to let you know."

I begin to get up. "No, no, I got it for you. Keep on sleeping."

I get up anyway and begin packing. Jerry unlocks the gate so I could get some breakfast if I want. As the storm is approaching, I pack everything in my truck, then go inside to eat some crackers, read a book on a rocking chair mounted on a hand-cart, and fool around on a rickety upright piano with sticky keys. The rain pours, then tapers off. I head out and honk my horn in farewell.

Down at the beach, the strong, wet wind blows sand onto the pavement. I get $20 of gas as usual, but the pump shuts off at $18. The gas price is $1.59. I stop in the Long Beach library to post a few pictures, then get lunch at Lil' Rays (The Best Seafood on the Gulf). I find their slogan to be presumptuous. I order fried catfish but get pan-baked catfish with a hint of grease. The potato salad, buttered bread, and hush puppies are mediocre at best. So much for local food. The meal cost as much as my gas expenses from Florida to Louisiana.

Bay St Louis is a certified Mississippi Main Street Community. Due to the dead fish, no one is on the beach. I take a few pictures, read a little, then move on to the Louisiana state line along back roads. Rotting boats still lie where they landed after the Katrina storm surge. The bridge over the East Pearl River is a low truss span. I cross into Louisiana and see miles of open water and grasslands. Fort Pike, an old earthworks dating from the War of 1812, is closed. At a high bridge over the channel connecting Lake Pontchartrain to the Gulf, I see my first glimpse of New Orleans, a low clump of buildings on the distant horizon, with a glittering lake in the foreground. Most houses in this area were destroyed during Katrina, but a few have been rebuilt, standing on extra-tall stilts. Instead of getting more crowded, Route 90 then enters a marshy wildlife refuge, only 15 miles from downtown NOLA.

After the wildlife refuge, Route 90 opens up. This part of New Orleans is the dumping ground for post-Katrina waste. Landfills and junkyards line the back roads, mountains of crushed cars of early 2000s vintage. Many undeveloped plots of land are still clogged with refuse. The roads are extremely potholed, with standing water everywhere. I cross the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal on the US-90 bridge, then turn off onto Almonaster Avenue. As it is getting late, I park under a graffiti-covered bridge where Almonaster Avenue crosses several railroads and a canal. The access road is lined with refuse, as well as the underside of the bridge. I set out walking down Almonaster, the four-lane boulevard very lightly traveled. From the top of the bridge, I can see the lights of New Orleans and the big Mississippi River bridge. Closer to town, the streets come alive, not with the glamor of a high-stepping nightlife, but with a far less affluent resident and transient population. Backpackers are everywhere, as are panhandlers and local residents. A few bars are open, but they are not crowded, most people instead loitering outside or aimlessly walking the streets. As I don't have a map, I avoid straying too far off the main roads.

I spend the night unmolested under the bridge, using earplugs to deal with the train horns. The morning dawns clear and cool, with temps in the mid 50s. I drive into the downtown, using my GPS for a map. All day parking is available for nine dollars on the top story of a hotel parking deck. I park and walk over to the library, where a motley assortment of residents already waits. A sign outdoors warns of fines and imprisonment for loitering or sleeping on library grounds. The doors are opened at 10 am sharp by an armed security guard, and everyone hurries to the computers. A sign at the bathroom says "No Bathing, Shaving, or Washing Clothes".

I can't post pictures on these public computers, so they will have to wait.

@USExplorer
I appreciate the narrative that accompanies these posts of your travels. I wish gas was $1.59 a gallon in the location that I live. The descriptions illustrate that Mississippi still has a low average income for the United States of American and above average rates of poverty.