My Van's Flooring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hi all,<br>I'm trying to figure out how to go about installing my van's plywood subflooring.&nbsp; Currently, once I remove the carpeting, there is about a half inch layer of blue insulation covering my van's floor.<br><br>I can either take a whole sheet of 4'x8' of plywood and try to create templates to cut this 1 sheet and fit the whole thing into the van.&nbsp; Doing it this way has a couple of issues:<br>__&nbsp; I'm working alone, so this would be very difficult to handle this solo.<br>__&nbsp; Even if I managed to perfectly fit this single sheet into the van, the length I'm trying to cover is just over 9' feet, and the average width is just over 5' feet.&nbsp; Therefore, this single sheet wouldn't fit well anyway.<br><br>My second option is to cut smaller sections of plywood and assemble the sheets flush against each other starting from the front to the back of the van.&nbsp; Doing it this way would ensure a more complete coverage of plywood.<br><br>Lastly is how to secure the plywood to keep from shifting/bouncing.&nbsp; I don't plan on drilling with screws, so the only option would be to use some sort of adhesive.&nbsp; I was thinking about applying the adhesive directly onto the blue insulation, then laying the plywood onto the insulation.&nbsp; I would finish the floor by laying some faux wood vinyl tiles.<br><br>Please give me any thoughts or suggestions.&nbsp; Thanks everyone.<br><br><br>

I have done 2 vans with click together laminate flooring directly over a foam base with no problems. the thicker the foam the more dense (rigid) it needs to be. I found some at Home Depot that was discontinued for 68 cents a square foot- it was more difficult to snap together than the better quality stuff, but once installed seems durable enough. I fitted mine around the shelving and stuff so that I can remove it easily if it does fail.I didn't secure it other than some moulding around the wood cabinets/shelves to hold it and cover the expansion gaps.<br>On the first van I cut strips of 3/8" foam to fill in the ribs in the floor, then a layer of 3/8" foil faced over it, glued only in spots to keep it in place, then floored it with left over laminate - no glue just mouldings and&nbsp; stair tread moulding at the door. 2 years and no problem. I do have a carpet runner to keep the feet warmer.<br>Second van is a step van with a flat floor(no ribs) insulated with scraps of commercial foam backed carpet( 1 1/2" thick hi density stuff for play/exercise areas) and mouldings&nbsp; holding the laminate down.<br><br>