My (summarized) Story

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi  :) .

I'd like to start replying to posts, so I figure I'd better introduce myself first.

Been perusing this site for over a year now (thank you, Bob) and finally registered as a user earlier this week!

Backtrack to 2013, my partner (theNomadicHacker) and I came to the realization that we no longer valued our paths of scientific pursuit. We left college and moved to an off-grid eco-village in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Since then, I returned to my home state to complete my degrees (read swallowed my pride), theNomadicHacker has a full-time remote position, and we bought a 28' renovated 1992 Coachmen Leprechaun to become full-time dwellers with our 10 (and a half!) year old home-schooled (via Yours, Truly) son.

Yes, this is a *chosen* lifestyle...because renting an apartment in our home state seemed like a prison sentence. We spent the summer living in a van, which we found was really not conducive to family life. (Serious props to EVERYONE who is living in a van/car with children.) I will note that our son spent the majority of that time with his great-grandparents, who were happy to have him while we were still in the vicinity. From living in a condo to living in 288 sq ft room with shared bathroom and kitchen, to a van with nothing other than a jar to piss in (which still worked for us), our RV is a luxury for which we are very fortunate to possess. Currently planning our trip to the southwest (NM/AZ area)! I could elaborate, but for the "summarized" sake, I'll end it at that. 

Also... no fears, Moderators, I've sufficiently read the "Tips, Tricks, and Rules" thread, so no need to re-post   :blush:.

Sincerely with Love,
M

Hi there... I homeschooled my 2 youngest children... what a great way to tell your child how much he means to you. Welcome to posting on the forum, and I wish you many traveling blessings!

HI, nice to meet you.

It was in our late 40s when husband and I realized we want out of the rat race. We always rv'd and loved it. From tents to big big monster campers, we settled in the middle. Smaller rv but good usable space.
No kids when we full time in a bit. College time for her. But I so understand what you wrote about a van and kids :)

A few good years now we have worked and moved our life to being free from stuff. Now just waiting til college time is set and we can sell the sticks and bricks and never look back. I wish we did this lifestyle sooner, but we got sucked into buying a home and debt and all, but we dug out well and now it is time to move forward on the road to freedom!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. *hugs*

@travelaround Yes! I absolutely love homeschooling, and likewise so does our son. My family is not devoid of nay-sayers (how will he have friends? how do you know he's not "behind"? are you really "schooling" him?), so getting support from others like you truly means a lot to me. It is hard, rewarding work, and I know you understand that having done it yourself.

@RoamerRV428 We were joking with our son that when he's ready for college, we'll just set ourselves up in the nearest RV park xD. He loved the idea, of course 7 years might very well change his mind xxD. Congrats on digging out of the debt hole...I'm still not convinced I won't be taking student loan debt to the grave with me (fingers crossed the gov. doesn't enact policy that passes said debt onto surviving kin). Seriously, I had to consult Google to confirm that's not already a thing.

if student debt from a parent is passed onto the immediate family then life is screwed over the country as we know it :) Life would collapse for sure for many! I never heard that and now you got me off to google it LOL

Debt, woof, we paid a lot for how we lived and loved it tho, my horses and barns were life for more than 30 yrs and loving it to the max but I think, now is the time. no regrets ever on how we paid thru the nose on things we loved :) but when the time in your heart says fly....you have to fly. off grid. out of the loop, into the best unknown we are wanting and expecting :)

yea we will set up kiddo very well WITH an option to come with us and maybe find a 'home port' other than decides but between us, having one kid, she is key, we will get her like a condo or very small home near college and we can make it home base and for her to live as she sees fit.

of course what they 'kids' decide in the end will be interesting as you said, who knows right?! it is great chatting with a like minded gotta take care of that one kid person LOL

:D Too funny we were typing replies to each other at the same time!!

It really is great to chat with like minded people, something I've been needing but didn't know it. She is extremely fortunate to have a mother like you. In my family, the tradition has basically been once your 18, you're an "adult" and you're on your own. There was no thought (also no ability) to save for college, to buy a condo for your child, dang I didn't even get help applying for student loans!

But that tradition ends with me. Even if we can't save for college, I will be there every step of the way helping him apply for scholarships. Or helping him market his YouTube channel xD.

mrsNomadicHacker said:
In my family, the tradition has basically been once your 18, you're an "adult" and you're on your own. There was no thought (also no ability) to save for college, to buy a condo for your child, dang I didn't even get help applying for student loans!

Same here. My parents didn't help me with anything regarding college. They did help my older sister with nursing school. I went to college anyway but the 2 times I graduated didn't participate in the ceremonies so my family never knew I graduated. This, I realized years later when I casually mentioned graduating and they were surprised!

yea I so understand that. My Dad left home at 16 to the Marines. There was no college or getting ahead back then for many of those just getting by in life. He broke that with his career and made sure all 3 of us kids had a jumpstart for a future. Which we all took advantage of and we were blessed. I just want to give my kid that jumpstart. But it is only that, a good headstart and it of course boils down to what we can do for her and she won't be getting the world handed to her on a platter LOL but she will be giving a fab opportunity that many don't get. So best one can do is set up their kid for a good future then they have to take it from there!

Hey you are going to give him great advice and good help in finding his future. That right there is a monster plus, many don't have a good family support system behind them, which is a shame, but those that do have a chance to thrive.

scary tho they say even the college grads now can't find good jobs?
yikes! times are rough out there for the young ones and heck, us older ones like me now LOL :)

RoamerRV428 said:
scary tho they say even the college grads now can't find good jobs?
yikes!  times are rough out there for the young ones and heck, us older ones like me now LOL :)

During the last year I had a financial shortfall so I took on a lot of transcription jobs to make sure my bills got paid. Worked out well. . . . but one audio file I transcribed was especially disturbing - it was an interview with a young college graduate who was so deeply in debt (student loans and credit cards) she had to live with her mother and was unable to pay her bills. Also, despite much effort, she couldn't get a good job. She had what amounted to an on-call low pay job. The crisis with student loans and credit card companies targeting low-income college students destroys young lives everywhere. This young woman's solution? She planned to go back to college for a Masters . . . asking for yet another student loan. Apparently she figured a Bachelors degree wasn't enough to get a good job these days.

When I went to college in the 1970's-1990's, I never once asked for a loan. I lived off-campus and worked when I could. I do wish college students would get the message and stay away from the loans and credit cards. College education isn't worth going into debt slavery for life. My oldest son has a student loan he's been unable to pay off; I didn't know about it until recently, as he didn't tell me he was going to apply for it. Right now he's driving for Uber. My oldest daughter worked to pay her college expenses, but has never used the degree to get a better job (she got a Masters). My youngest son had one semester of college and became a truck driver and earns much more than I ever have. Right now he's sleeping in the semi to save money for a Hawaii vacation and a new pickup truck. I don't believe college equals success and happiness. Each person is different in what's best for them.

Welcome to the forum, what’s family tradition ? On my 16th Birthday I boarded a plane to go to boot camp because of family stuff . All that’s worked out now , love my parents. And I think that the people that take the time to home school , if they do it right are great parents. I think I would have liked traveling as a kid and being homeschooled

@RoamerRV428 I totally agree that those who have a family support system are given the opportunity to thrive, well said. :) I think really it's not so important monetarily what we can give our kids, but our relationship with them that matters most. Of course, financially helping her through those first (several lol) years into adulthood really will go a long way for her future. But exactly as you said, it's what she'll do with it!

@MikenMJ Thanks for the welcome!

@travelaround Exactly as you said, college, like everything really, doesn't equal happiness or even success. Happiness is a *choice*, success only a judgement. For me, I loved school but had no way to pay for college. I worked as a tutor, but certainly couldn't afford to pay tuition on that alone. (Or books, rent, ...food.) So, it was only because of student loans I was able to attend...which I am thankful for. At the same time, as you said it's a ticket into deep debt. People thinking any degree will guarantee them a decent job are sorely mistaken.

@Smitty716 Hi, Danny :) also thank you for the welcome. Wow, 16th birthday with boot camp as your destination...and here on mine I thought the DMV was scary. xD