My Path to (No)Madness!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya get at least the trannie temp gauge in before going over any more mountain ranges.

Ambient temp won't help at the high end.

Imagine how you'd feel burning it out

VJG1977 said:
You might want to pick up an infrared thermometer like this one.  Around $15 on Amazon.

YES  :D I purchased that same one at less than half price at Amazon a while back on their timed sale. It is very handy in many ways & I've used it more than I thought I would. It was a good purchase.

Just a quick note .. Were still on the road, just about to head south on the 77 from I40 towards Quartzsite. If I can stay alert, going to push all the way through... :)

Hyundai is still doing great!

John61CT said:
Ya get at least the trannie temp gauge in before going over any more mountain ranges.

Ambient temp won't help at the high end.

Imagine how you'd feel burning it out

Still not an empirical measure,  but after a rather rigorous set of climbs, I could hold my hand on the transmission dip stick.  Gotta believe that's lower than 200F.  Stii, I agree, a temp gauge is best.  On the list .... :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
Just a quick note .. Were still on the road, just about to head south on the 77 from I40 towards Quartzsite. 

If you are on HWY 77 south out of Holbrook, then taking US 60 into Phoenix, (or 260 and 87) that route will get very hilly and curvy and will take a lot of time, and best not tackled when tired, at night. It is very scenic during the day of course.

NoMadYesHappy said:
Still not an empirical measure,  but after a rather rigorous set of climbs, I could hold my hand on the transmission dip stick.  Gotta believe that's lower than 200F. 

If it's still reddish or pinkish, you're good. If it's brown or smells burned....not good.

tx2sturgis said:
If you are on HWY 77 south out of Holbrook, then taking US 60 into Phoenix, (or 260 and 87) that route will get very hilly and curvy and will take a lot of time, and best not tackled when tired, at night. It is very scenic during the day of course.

260/87 ... was a stunning sunset!  We're stopped in Phoenix, and will pick it up fresh tomorrow.  :)

NoMadYesHappy said:
260/87 ... was a stunning sunset!  We're stopped in Phoenix, and will pick it up fresh tomorrow.  :)

Glad you made it....that's some thick forest and crooked roads, and a few 4 legged things that roam the area after dark....

NoMadYesHappy said:

Good for you, glad you're both safe. We do have some nice AZ sunsets. You two get some good rest you'll be busy tomorrow. 
Makes me want to take a drive over to Quartzite tomorrow & stay a day or two. I've nothing pressing or planned until Wednesday and need a good break.

Gettin' gassed up ...
39593870625_61fc2e08c6_z.jpg

And Goodwill said:
Good for you, glad you're both safe. We do have some nice AZ sunsets. You two get some good rest you'll be busy tomorrow. 
Makes me want to take a drive over to Quartzite tomorrow & stay a day or two. I've nothing pressing or planned until Wednesday and need a good break.

Well if you do, be sure to come say hi.  I'll be the guy grinning from ear to ear!  :)

It's a rough paved road....take it slow!

BTW, they sell block ice at that Chevron...handy if you have a big cooler...

Sometime during the day, drive over to the west side of town near the Loves....there is a place with a bunch of old cars there....free to walk thru....Called Desert Gardens....

GotSmart took me over there....its pretty cool.

Mascha said:
Just FYI, Motel 6 often lets dogs stay for free.

We actually tried the Motel 6, but there was a sign on the door saying something like "Will be back shortly..."
After waiting about 30 minutes for someone to show up and rent us a room, we gave up and went across the street to the Ramada.  It had a kitchen and a living-room and was only about 90 bucks with tax and dog fee ... probably cheapest of the three hotels we stayed at.
After setting up camp here at Scaddan Wash, it's clear we need to get this build-out done soon.  No more hotels.  That just cost WAY too much.

It looks nice! I bet you're happy to have landed safely. You're probably a bit tired out. Enjoy the rain, if it happens & may you both sleep well tonight. Doggies too, they're probably plum tuckered out after suffering during that long drive.  :p