My Kirby crossed the Rainbow Bridge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
I acquired Kirby as a puppy when my late husband was fighting terminal cancer.  We already had four other dogs at the time but they were mature and older and I wanted one who would be my companion for years after he died.

She was a little Shihtzu fighter!  Loved people but hated other dogs and started more than a few fights if given the chance.  A tough little gal who lived and traveled with me in The Van from Texas to Maine to California and Alaska and everywhere in between.  She was no sissy, that's for sure!

I realized this is the first time in my entire life that I am living alone.  No kids, no husband, no pets.  It feels really strange.  I swore no more dogs, yet catch myself thinking about visiting the shelter.  NO!  NO!  NO!  I have had to do this nine times in my life and it doesn't get any easier.

A friend (who lives for now in a cargo trailer), has a little terrier mix and I will be dog sitting her tomorrow.  She's a little badass, too (lol, the dog and her mistress), fearless and funny!  So that will be fun.

I miss my Kirby and tears come easily right now.  I know that'll fade in time.

Kirby was 14 years old. I've tried to post a picture but it tells me the file is too big. Oh well.

My German Shepard Annie died last year at 4 years old. I cried more than when my folks died & still really miss her. Sorry for you loss!

Loosing a pet is a very hard thing for most people, after my blue heeler/lab past some 5 years ago I said I would not get another dog again. After a few months of no responsibility to any one exept myself,  at an outdoor wedding anniversary  a stray came scavenging for scraps. Long story short, after animal control came to check her out and take pictures I said I would take care of her until she was claimed. This never happened, the shelter called said they would take her in if I wanted to let her go, I had already decided to keep her if no one claimed her.  
Went to my vet's for a full check up,  vet said she was about 4 years old and had heart worm.  After 6 months and many  $$$, she was given a clean bill of health. I think she's a cross between German Shepherd and yellow Labrador, now 4 years down the line she's often complemented on her good behavior and friendless, done 2 RTRs and many miles, yes there are things I can't do but the companionship makes up for that.

KIMG0060.jpg

KIMG0061.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0060.jpg
    KIMG0060.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG0061.jpg
    KIMG0061.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 7
So very sad to lose a fur baby. I lost one of my two a year ago August and just last week adopted a 10 year old that had been abandoned.

People who love pets know your pain. Listen to your heart, grieve your loss and if the universe deems it correct another fur baby will cross your path.

{{hugs}}

R.I.P. Kirby, your work here is done, continue elsewhere, I'm sure you will.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

---Will Rogers

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and your own stories. I do so love animals.

This morning was especially rough so I sat down and watched the video The Secret Lives of Pets, a kids animated funny movie.  It helped.

I didn't realize how much I had been doing for her; her mostly age-related disabilities had snuck up on us over the past year.

Tomorrow, my friend's little scrappy Shadow will be here.  It'll be a fun day.
It's supposed to be nice weather and I have some outdoor work to do.  Terriers -- ya gotta love 'em!

So sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you gave Kirby a happy and fun life.

Sorry for your loss. We have had so many rescues and sadly, their passing is part of life.
This has been our motto for many years now, although we are down to only 7 at the moment.

Attachments

• when I'm gone.jpg
    when I'm gone.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3
Thank you all for your kind words.

It's getting better.  I still catch myself thinking of her but at least the choking up has let up some.  I didn't realize how much care and attention she required.  It was a LOT, especially the last six months.

I do think about getting another pet, but then I slap myself and say "NO!"  Chances are the animal would outlive me (I'm 68) and then what?  My mom is 95 years old and has a big dog (75 lbs) that is aging, too.  My siblings and I look at each other and say, "Who gets Molly when Mom dies?"  Those two are joined at their bad hips.  Mom is talking about going into a care facility (she now lives with my sister), but none will allow her dog.  And Molly is very protective; last year when Mom was with me, Molly put her teeth on me twice when I was trying to help Mom get out of her wheel chair.  It was just a warning, didn't break skin but the intention was there.  How will a home health care aide feel about that?  So Mom's care is absolutely linked to her dog.  I don't want to put myself or my family or a pet in that position.

Sigh.  Maybe a fish??

Meanwhile, it has recently occurred to me that I can hop a plane and visit my sister in a distant state and/or my BFF!  With the money I save on vet bills!  Hmmm...  Silver lining...

I spent a year+ being "nursed" by HHA's.
Our dog at the time who would not harm a flea, learned to HATE white uniforms.
They always hurt me and he knew it.

Your moms dog is only doing her job.
This may sound really dumb, but explaining to her what you are about to do, can help this situation. (Yes, I mean explain it to the dog.) After transfer, a treat...just something tiny, is also wise. It will give her something to look forward to. She knows damned well when your mother hurts and a transfer (I am a SCI survivor, been there, done that) always hurts when someone helps you. Always.

Don't take this the wrong way please, but PHOOOEY about worrying about dying before your dog.
EVERY SINGLE DAY they gas/inject thousands to death.
Rescue one that you connect with.
Take one off of death row.
That way, IF you predecease them, you have only added to their life...even if they end up being offed after your passing.

Everyone and everything...dies.
Carpe Diem.

My condolences .It's always tough to lose your best friend.